Dancers Anonymous > Your physical surroundings while posting on DF...

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Rosa, May 5, 2005.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Let me know when I can join you. :wink: :)

2. WRhythm

WRhythm New Member

The last couple of posts have been from the family room in my parent's house. Since I'm using it to procrastinate a while before finishing a very long take-home exam for my Early Modern Drama class, I've got lots and lots of school papers strewn around. On the plus side our dachsunds stop by periodically to lick my ankles as a friendly 'hello'

*sighs* back to work

3. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Welcome, WRhythm! :D

Rosa :)

(edited for spelling)

4. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I'm at my messy desk, with snacks, CDs for iTunes, emery board, iced tea, journal, books, mags, etc. Frequent visits from kitties, usually wanting something.

:kitty:

5. WRhythm

WRhythm New Member

Thanks, Rosa!

...Clearly still procrastinating... :oops:

6. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

Awesome thread!

My desk is in the kitchen, since our kitchen is HUGE and nobody's ever in it. In front of me is my small desk, currently covered by cutting mats, pattern paper, sketches, more sketches, markers, pencils, pens, syllabi, shoes, leather, thread, beads, shells, rolls of tape, tools, tracing paper pieces and magazine clippings. Somewhere in there is a crazy ever-blooming african violet and a couple of family pictures. Mess, anyone? :lol: On either side are cheapo white shelves with the rest of the supplies, various species of peripherals and past projects. Behind the desk is an East-facing window (great morning light!), which leads to the fire escape (currently a favorite with the local privacy-seeking birds).
    Behind me is a big round dining table, which doubles as a dining room. It's actually fairly free of my junk, and therefore clean (sorta). Under my chair sometimes lurks a spooky black cat named Pugsley.
    Oh yeah, all the actual kitchen stuff is to the right and the walls and floor are (mostly) white.

7. Guarachero

Guarachero New Member

Environment

Gee! Rosa. And I thought my work area was bad. At least that's what my wife is always complaining about.

My computer desk is in the living room. The book cases are replete and on a corner there is a pile of books, papers containing hundreds of court decisions, researches, manuscripts and God knows what else. Behind my chair stands my machine (turntable-cassette-player-5-cd-player), one speaker stands by it and the other across the room for acustic balance. And my CD tower to the right side of the musical monster.

Guarachero

8. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

*bump*

c'mon people. Let's "see" where you're at! :)

9. Snuggles

Snuggles New Member

i am usually in my room... it has hot pink walls and most of my stuff is hot pink... my shih tzu is usually on her own chair next to me watching my fish swim around... my room is usually clean because my mum cleans anything up when ever she walks in... just picture walking into a black hole, only hot pink lol...

10. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Re: Environment

Court decisions? Do you mean you are a lawyer, Guarachero?

11. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Yeah! Thanks to everyone who's responded.

But I agree, it would be great to 'see' where you're at!

12. Sagitta

So we need photos!!

13. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

Not necessarily. I like the "word pictures", you get to see the person much more through their impression of the place, rather than just seeing the place itself. I guess I prefer books over movies for the same reason. *shrug*

14. Sagitta

This si why I prefer books too! :eek: :D

15. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I can see both points of view here. Photos are factual, they convey information... which was, after all, the purpose of this thread.

But a 'word picture' will give you an impression of the place filtered through the mind of the respondent. The words they use, what they choose to leave in or leave out, can help you get know a person in a way that goes beyond the purely factual.

I'm also aware that we're on the Internet and some people may not wish to be too factual, so as to preserve their privacy.

But it was great to see tsb's photo... all photos welcome!

I won't be posting a photo of my place because, though I have a digital camera, my computer is so ancient it won't install the technology that would allow me to use it! :oops:

Anyway, update on my surroundings: those dark brown pictures on the wall are going to have to go... it's Spring, the sun's shining and I want something new and bright!

16. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I'm at work when on DF. I'm usually surrounded by disks, laptops, computers I'm working on, computers in pieces I use for parts, spare mice, keyboards, you name it. There is a work bench behind me and it has a couple of desktops I'm setting up for people and a dead screen I haven't gotten around to throwing in the bin yet. Behind me is also a cupboard full of folders of program disks.

To everyone else it looks like a mess but I have a system. Allbeit a messy one! :lol:

17. Mitra

Mitra New Member

If I'm on the computer, it means I am at home in the basement, its the only place for our computer desk. Normally I have a sketchbook nearby with pencils and pens in case I get inpiration, a notebook and pen for any little things I need to make note of, maybe a box of cereal or some other snack (right now its Captain Crunch ^_^ ), the scanner/printer sitting close by just in case (insipration of course, lol), kleenex, trash can, but nothing really major unless I have something due for a college class or for something else.

Right now its all that junk and the only half interesting thing here is my cell phone and my notebook for my training to become a ballroom dance instructor. I've already gotten a pretty good start on it, but I'm missing 2 or 3 of the major dance styles and can't for the life of me remember them ><

18. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Good luck with your training, Mitra!

19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yep. Good luck. Cleaned my home office over the weekend. Now I'm totally disoriented. :roll: :lol: At least my desk is still messy. :lol: