Dancers Anonymous > Your plans for Today

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Today I can complain because the weather is rainy or I can be thankful the grass is getting watered for free.

Today I can grumble about my health or I can rejoice that I am alive.

Today I can lament over all that my parents didn’t give me when I was growing up, or I can feel grateful that they allowed me to be born.

Today I can cry because roses have thorns or I can celebrate that thorns have roses.

Today I can mourn my lack of friends or I can embark upon a quest of being friendly.

Today I can whine because I have to go to work or I can shout with joy because I have been given the power to "create" wealth.

Today I can murmur because I have to do housework, or I can feel honored because I have a shelter for my mind,body and soul.

Today stretches ahead of me, waiting to be shaped. And here I am, the sculptor who gets to do the shaping.

What today will be like is up to me. I get to choose what kind of day I will have! Have a great day… unless you have other plans. :D

2. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Thanks, good words, but not always easy to do.

3. Pacion

Pacion New Member

No, but they can get easier with time :D I was born on an island, SUNSHINE for days. Today, I live on an island :roll: rain for weeks!

I went to school with a guy who, on the surface of it, had everything to enjoy about life - came from a good family (good in the sense of educated, very financially secure etc) yet, he would complain how depressed he was in London - the weather. :roll: Ho Hum!

I would give him 'the look' :lol: and tell him to get a grip :lol: There are millions out there with no food/shelter/clothing and he would never have to worry about that even if he never worked a day in his life. Eventually he lightened up because he had no other choice around me :lol:

I know though that for some people things can seem overwhelming and if this helps even to bring a smile/lift that cloud for half a minute. It was worth it.

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Your point is an important and valid one Pacion... but it should also be pointed out that there *is* such a thing as seasonal depression (S.A.D. - Seasonal Affective Disorder) that is very real and, in extreme cases, tremendously debilitating. :(

5. Pacion

Pacion New Member

I am aware of SAD and clinical depression etc etc SD. In such circumstances, it is understandable :(

In the winters here (which are by no means as bad as parts of Russia and Northern Norway/Scandinavia) there are people in London who are affected by it.

6. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

It was worth it to me... thanks for sharing

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yes, the general point is still a very good one... and one that, at least for me ( :oops: ), can often use a bit of refreshing, so thanks! :D

8. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Beautiful words, Pacion! And words I live by!
    When I'm in a cranky mood, feeling things aren't giong right, or just feeling greedy, wondering why I can't have a house in Beverly Hills, or some other selfish thought, I just think of all the wonderful things I Do have- my HEALTH, people that LOVE ME, cute cats, a roof over my head that belongs to me, and food on my table whenever I want it. If you've ever visited a developing country, it will most certainly humble you and make you feel all the more thankful for what you have! :D

9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

P.S. I, too, know of the depression one goes through when the climate is bleak. I hear it occurs quite a bit in the northern european countries where it is too cold & snowy to go out, and Alsaka, where half the year is spent in darkness.
    Here in Japan, we are presently experiencing cruel weather conditions- typhoons which have caused thousands to flee their homes due to flooding in Fukui Prefecture, several people struck & killed by lightning in the Japan Alps and 72 hours of rain where I live. (I welcome the rain as it drops the temperature. With over 80% humidity, gimme rain anytime! Oh, it just started raining!!!!! :shock: )

10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Thanks Pacion.

11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I've been hearing from my UK friends. Ever heard of SAD (seasonal affective disorder, or something like that?) It's caused by lack of sunshine. :(

Oops. Sorry. I forgot this was an upbeat thread. But, when it rains a lot. the green of the meadows are so lush and beautiful. How's that? :roll: :lol: