General Dance Discussion > Your proudest dancing moment?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by MadamSamba, May 30, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Ok... this is an ego-boosting thread, but not one based in arrogance. I'm wondering what are your proudest dancing moments? Now, don't be shy! :)

For me, it was the day I got my medal examination sheet back and got lots of good marks!!! Another time was when I went to a beginner's lesson in a new style of dancing and, after the class, the teacher came up to me and said it was obvious I'd done dancing before. I know they're silly, little things that don't quite compare with winning at Blackpool, but they are mine. What about you?

2. Sabor

Sabor New Member

cant say i have one in terms of being proud.. guess i never took it in this view.. just dont feel it .. for me its like a scale of feeling good.. the higher the score the better i feel.. but i dont rember feeling 'proud' in the sense of the word.. sorry.. maybe its cause i'm proud by nature so i dont feel the difference :wink: :lol:

3. Kate

Kate New Member

Mine would probably be when I got my Jazz Dance Exam Score Sheet back, and found out that I got highest in the class, Distinction. It was my first ever dance exam, I could have cried! :p

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use the expression proud. Happy, fulfilled...If someone compliments me or I win an award I may not even feel that great about it as while that helps I must go with what I feel. To me my happiest moments are when I am in the music with my partner and we have a wonderful dance. That's all I crave. My first dance instructor told me once that I had come a long way, and that I stayed on the beat...I was happy she said it, but that was because I really connected with her and the music and it was a wonderful dance.

I tell you that makes a world of difference to me, even when performing....

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Still waiting for a moment I would characterize as proud. I know it's coming, though. 8)

6. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I have three over the last month or so. My first dance exam where I got within a whisker to what is described as an "instructor's" score. My second exam within 3 weeks (usually takes people 6 months!) and I still got a very high mark. And lastly my showcase performance. After I came down off cloud nine, I discovered that, yes I am very proud of myself for achieving what I have over the last month. Gives me the willpower and confidence to give everything in my life (especially dancing) 110%!

7. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Just a silly showcase a year and a half ago. My teacher and I were dancing to "My Funny Valentine," and it was the first serious romantic solo I'd done (all the other stuff I'd done had been light, comic, and stagey). But it was the first time I felt I could push the technical matters to the secondary level and just do the dance and tell the story. I had a friend there for the first time that night, and she said she cried when she saw us dance. In a good way, that is. :wink:

8. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I don't know about proudest, but I was in San Diego at the beginning of this month and attended a WCS dance where I had what I felt was one of my best experiences with dancing; left me feeling on a terrific roll. 8)

9. pygmalion

You know what, GR? I'm coming to Nashville to meet you. :kissme: 8)

10. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

My very short dancing history has at least four that stand out for me.

1. My first Am/Am competition where my partner and I won against another very strong couple.

2. After doing a competition with my second Am/Am partner, two weeks later we danced a tango at a social event that was the smoothest Tango danced for either of us, and we will likely always remember it.

3. Being able to show fellow classmates at a reunion how to do the hustle to music we listened to when we were kids.

4. Being able to do foxtrot during a bands intermission at a company event, and having people applaud and come up to us with compliments afterwards.

11. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Mine would be my first dance class...I'll never forget walking up the stairs and hearing this Cha-Cha tune that made me realize that finally after a lifetime of procrastination...I was going to actually dance! I wanted to run so so bad...tried to make myself think I had a medical reason for not being able to go...but there was no good excuse. :oops: :roll: :? :shock:

As I got to the top of the stairs, I could hear the people dancing, and then see them as I stood there waiting. A few minutes later I had a beautiful young lady in my arms and suddenly all my fears and inhibitions were gone. An hour passed and suddenly I was sad...the class was over! I told my teacher how dissapointed I was that she only taught the class once a week...:D

Thinking back on all of this...I wouldn't call myself proud...more that I was overjoyed to have faced such a tremendous life-long fear and won. A new path was set in motion that certainly changed my life for the better.

And a year later, well the rest is history! ;) :p

SG

12. kwa445

kwa445 New Member

My most favorite ballroom moment is definitely when me and my partner won the jr. open american rhythm championships at Nationals at BYU last March. It's what we'd been working towards all year long and now our names will be in the Nationals program for a long time! :D Looking at the judge's marks when they've scored us high is always a self esteem booster as well...

13. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

Hmm a tough one...

There is this one guy who is always complimenting me on how easy I am to dip, and Ive had a few different people tell me the same. I love it because I have never once been shown how to do it. Picked it all up during social dances, now Ive even progressed to the knees crunches comfortably.

Also being told I was so light to dance with (Ok so I didnt know what it meant at the time and found out later, but it really made me proud!)

14. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

I've been proud many times, but the moment to remember would be:

The split second when (I've had that perfect dance with my mentor/ex two years after our split-up), I realised I will never out-grow him, but I was able to look him right in the eyes and said:

"Now, I am your true equal."

8)

15. pygmalion

You always were, salsachinita, in the ways that matter. Of course, being able to dance at his level now probably helps. :wink: :D

16. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

This is wonderful, SG. Thanks for sharing it with us.

17. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

And that ShyDancer is my favorite kind to dance with. :D 8)

18. KevinL

KevinL New Member

My proudest moment was when I finished my teacher certification exam and _knew_ that I had done well. I found out much later that I had actually done well, but I was proud of my acheivement even before I got the official score.

19. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I think it's yet to come....

20. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

For real? When? Soon? :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: