Dancers Anonymous > Your slippers

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Dec 1, 2005.

1. lynn

lynn New Member

i have those huge fluffy slippers....

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

This si why you get slippers for guests. ;) Make them take off their shoes when they enter and wear slippers. This way you can enjoy them vicariously.

3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

In most Japanese homes, you leave your shoes once inside the house, and are usually offered slipppers to wear(most young people don't really do this though- more comfortable to be barefoot & it is a little formal). When you use the WC, there is another pair of slippers you wear(YUP! Change your footwear to pass water- what a concept, eh?). This I do not do at my house, and some of my older Japanese guests are visibly turned off when they have to use the loo. I reassure them that my bathroom floors are probably as clean as their kitchen table1

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I hate going to homes where I'm expected to take off my shoes. I know I'm a way uptight American, but hey. I think whether I wear shoes should be up to me.

That said, when I go to the homes of friends who go shoeless, I go shoeless, no questions asked. When in Rome and all that. *shrug*

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

:notworth:

6. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

Our household probably wouldnt be shoeless except that my home when I was a kid had white carpet--Mom would skinned us alive for tracking mud in. It's a habit now.

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yeah. Habit is a powerful thing. I have a friend who used to insist, for the first several years of his marriage, that everything -- everything be placed, not on the floor, but on a table top or even on the sofa. I mean things like magazine racks, trash cans, etc. Or even shoes, while one was watching TV and relaxing, had to be on the chair beside you rather than on the floor.

It wasn't until his wife exploded with rage that he tried to get to the bottom of why the habit. As it turns out, he grew up in the house with a blind grandmother, and his family had to keep potential stumbling blocks out of her way. :cool:

btw, this thread made me count my slippers. I'm not telling how many I have. Let me just say that I'm now motivated to toss out some of the older pairs. :lol:

8. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I wear one pair till they're falling to bits, then I get another pair... exactly the same. :(

But now I'm motivated to try something different next time!

Rosa :)

9. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Wow! His wife must have been a "cool cookie". I think I probably would have exploded after the first week! :?

:::wicked cackle:::: I wonder what it is worth for me not to do a poll guessing how many slippers Pygmalion has/had! :lol:

10. fascination

I suppose this means something but I have no slippers purses or watches....I find them annoying...not real fan of socks or hose unless its freezing out....not many belts or that sort of stuff.dont even really have PJs...hmmmm...maybe I should mention this when dh is reviewing dance budget;)

11. lynn

lynn New Member

i've now decided to no longer keep watches - i either lose them or break them within a couple of months and the expense really adds up! Besides, i figured my cell phone could just double as a watch!

12. lynn

lynn New Member

*peeking in my own closet*

i'm guessing within 3 digit figure ;) !

13. fascination

exactly...oh and I dont do sunglasses hats or mittens either...I break stuff and I lose stuff...way too spacey to have stuff like that...report card used to say "daydreams alot"...even though dh bought me the shirt that says "runs with scissors":rolleyes:

14. lynn

lynn New Member

i'm really fortunately now that i have a car - yay, no more walking in the rain! I remember when i was in high school, there was one year i lost about 6 umbrellas! It was quite hilarious really - if i don't count the look on my mom's face when she learned that i had lost just about every single usable umbrella we had!