Ballroom Dance > Videos > Youth latin Championship clip.

Discussion in 'Videos' started by barrefly, Oct 22, 2008.

1. barrefly

barrefly New Member

I don't know what the ages are for the youth division (16-18?), but I just saw this clip and noticed how much energy, excitment these young dancers have. It's as if, after yrs of having to dance syllabus only, they were finally able to dance open (correct term?). There was one couple doing the coffee grinder another tries to do a heel slide and takes a nasty spill, one lead and tries to grab another lead. For a world class comp., they sure looked like they were having a great time.
    I really enjoyed this clip. They are all winners to me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Az6oGC0Kc

2. mummsie

mummsie Member

Here in Australia once you are out of Juvenille up to 13 years, or out of level 1 (begginner) you can dance any steps you like pretty much. We have juniors here that dance the same sorts of steps. We aren't tied down to syllabus steps except for the very young or begginners :) My son was only in level 1 for a year so he's been dancing the same open steps for about 8 years and he is still only level 2.!! But yes, a very enjoyable comp to watch :) mummsie

3. barrefly

barrefly New Member

mummsie, was that an australian comp. clip I posted?
    If I may ask, how old is your son. My 14 yr. old just started b/l a few months ago and loves it. She has her first small (pro/am) comp. this weekend and is very much looking forward to it.

4. Laura

Laura New Member

Most kids in amateur partnerships in the US and other countries that follow IDSF rules only dance Syllabus when they are in Pre-Teen (age 11 and under). The Junior and higher age levels allow open choreography, it's only Pre-Teen that is restricted to Syllabus steps.

5. mummsie

mummsie Member

No this was an international comp. I was just saying that we dance similar steps here in the youth categories.
    My son is now 23 so no longer a child. He has been dancing ballroom since he was 5 doing social classes and medal exams but didn't start competing until he was 16. He has only danced competitively as am/am. mummsie

6. barrefly

barrefly New Member

Your son must be very good. Is he competing in Rising Star comps.? How is it coming along for him and his partner (comps)?

My daughter has the opportunity to do her first medal exam this sun. but her schedule is booked. Does one have to work themselves up in the medals, or can they just jump right in and take..say..silver chachacha?
    (.....a question that just came to mind...anyone can answer).

7. barrefly

barrefly New Member

.....I am humbly learning that knowing the syllabus and dancing it correctly is a huge difference. I don't think I would want to see my daughter dancing open choreography before she has her syllabus technique down. I am guessing that the IDSF believes that such is a personal decision and leaves opportunity for kids to be kids.

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

A very significant realization barrefly, and one that all too many miss.

9. mummsie

mummsie Member

Hi Barfly, My son is a very good dancer but no he is still dancing at level 2 here in Australia. He has been through 5 partners in the last 8 years. They just start getting good together and then the girls have either got a boyfriend who didn't approve or they started studying and didn't have any money for lessons. He has been dancing with his current partner for almost 3 years and have just recently changed teachers so we are hoping for big things in December when they compete in "The Australians" in Melbourne. They only dance 2 styles - Standard and New Vogue.
    With medal exams here you have to start at the very beginning. We have lots of levels though - Bronze, Bronze Bar, Silver, Silver Bar, Gold, Gold Bar, Gold Star, Premier Star and then Oscar. I have completed pretty much all of them except for Oscar Latin and Oscar English Old Time. I will do those after I have retired from Competition to give me something to do. I think my son has done 3 styles up to Premier Star - Standard, Latin and New Vogue. Its a choice here - medals are not compulsory but I made my son do it as it gave him a sense of achievement. My daughter also dances although she doesn't have a partner at present. She has also done most of her medals. Only has Oscar New Vogue and Standard left. I am going to see if my husband will do his Oscar New Vogue with her next year - they can kill 2 birds with one stone :) - mummsie

10. barrefly

barrefly New Member

mummsie,
    My daughter's salsa partner is going through a "girl crazy" phase. That's okay though, it gives my daughter an opportunity to concentrate on her b/l.

It sounds like you are a "dancing family". My wife and I do not dance, but we sure are enjoying the pleasure our daughters are giving us. My oldest is the dancer and my 8 yr. old is an actress. Please let me know how it goes at "The Australians" competition.
    Charles

11. mummsie

mummsie Member

Yes we all dance. My husband and I met dancing about 36 years ago. We celebrated our 34th wedding anniversay yesterday. We gave it up for quite a few years though when we were building our house and getting everything established. My daughter who is 25 has been doing ballet since she was 3 and ballroom since she was 4 and our son started ballroom around 5 I think. It makes for some interesting times on comp days though - never seen so many people trying to put make up and get hair done in our small room where the big mirror is :) mummsie