Dancers Anonymous > You've Got the Digits, Now What?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by diputs, Aug 19, 2005.

1. diputs

diputs New Member

This is the next step to "The Art of Giving Out Your Number" thread.

So you get a phone number. You do not know if they are interested going on a date or just being dance friends. What do you do?

2. africana

africana New Member

this should go in DA sillibugs

3. diputs

diputs New Member

I cannot figure out how to move it. I am sure a moderator will get to it soon enough!

oops!

I have never read anything in the DA threads. I guess I should check it out.

4. brujo

brujo New Member

5. tj

tj New Member

(moved)

...so presumably, you call her and ask her out on a date? :roll: :wink:

6. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

A dance date, maybe ? :D :D

7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

How about this. I've been out of the dating scene awhile. I received a telephone number from a well-meaning co-worker of a guy he thought I might be interested in. I called the guy. After playing telephone tag for a few days, we finally connected. One more conversation later, we set up a lunch date. At the end of the date, I'm sure I'm not interested. He's a complete geek. How do I gracefully tell the guy that I don't want to go out with him again? He's already left me a telephone message to call, which I haven't returned yet.

Any advice would be appreciated. Oh, and no, he doesn't dance. He said during the date he googled ballroom dancing. He thought he might be interested in west coast swing "because it looks like the guy doesn't do anything."

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Is he a "fixer-upper" geek, or a "no way in hell" geek?

9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

"No Way In Hell, Not In This Lifetime Or Any Other Lifetime"

10. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

"Fixer-upper" geek --- I like that!!!!!
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. africana

africana New Member

poor guy and all his like kind. there's just so many of them you'd think there'd be a program to rehabilitate em
    (i'm a geek in disguise too ;) )

12. diputs

diputs New Member

I wish there was so I could take the class.

13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I'm a geek, too. :wink:

I'm just not interested in that particular geek. I wouldn't have a clue how to rehabilitate him, and I'm not so sure that I would like him at the end of the process even if I could. I don't like guys who end up whipped.

14. lynn

lynn New Member

just say you're busy - the universal "put him down gently" excuse, @ least that's what i use.....

15. gte692h

gte692h Member

don't return his calls ;) life is tough. but the more honest and blunt, the better for him in the long run

16. jon

jon Member

If by "gracefully" you mean "tell him without actually being specific or saying anything that makes me feel bad", you can't. There's no way to reject someone "gracefully". Just call him and tell him, in words of 1-2 syllables, that you aren't interested and don't want to follow up. That's a lot better, from the guy perspective, than failing to return calls or making pleas about being "too busy".

17. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I would probably just screen calls. The worst thing is if thye call from a numer you don't know... And you pick it up...

18. lynn

lynn New Member

i wonder if anyone's brave enough to be direct?? i've always heard that honesty is the best policy but do you REALLY want to be honest in this kind of situation??

i guess a question we have to ask ourselves is that how we'd like to be treated in this kind of situation. i've had guys telling me that they'd prefer the girl to tell them the truth while the others would prefer the gentler approach: not returning phone calls..etc

19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I did that once, when I was much, much younger and even more foolish (hard to imagine me more foolish, I know. :wink: :lol: )

Ducking out, screening calls, and hoping the guy gets the message is pretty cruel to him, in the long run, IMO. It may be easier for me, but it's really mean to him. And it takes a heck of a lot longer to get it over with. If the guy's a "not in this lifetime or any other" geek, tell him so, directly but nicely. It's much easier than living with your guilty conscience. I learned that the hard way. :?

20. lynn

lynn New Member

did you ever use the "it's not you, it's me" explanation :lol: ??