Ballroom Dance > Yuletide Ball 2007

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by NURDRMS, Aug 8, 2007.

1. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

How was this event last year? Was it as tiny as expected? Were the workshops well attended?

2. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

I don't recall the number of entries, but it was much higher than they had expected and it threw-off the schedule quite a bit. By the last day, they were just anouncing the top 3 places in scholarships the same way as in the single dance entries. Hopefully they will be better prepared this year.

The NYE Gala was well worth the cost and very well attended.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

Would you have to be part of a couple to enjoy the NYE part?

4. syncopationator

I went with a group of friends, which I guess is always better for NYE, but there were definitely some singles there for the social dancing.

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

Yuletide Ball

I am trying to decide whether to go and would love to hear from people who have been.

6. syncopationator

its a small but fun competition. If you go, definitely stay for the NYE gala - its very well put together.

7. chica latina

chica latina New Member

I will be attending the comp.. I did it last year... It's small but fun... plus DC is a good place to be when not competing.

Have not attended the Gala event.

8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Is Ron still running it?

9. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Yes, he is.

I agree - small but fun, in a nice hotel right next to the White House.

10. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

yep, Mr. Ron Bennett himself :)

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

We'll be there Saturday night.

The gala can be fun, but it's awfully pricey. Though not necessarily any more pricey than most of the other "night on the town" NYE events out there.

12. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

Thank you all for your input. I think I will compete there, but would skip the gala: too expensive, not interested in that particular show and don't know anyone anyway. Would rather start for home. What I like is the idea of ending the year doing what I love, which is dancing.

13. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Anyone there already? Would love to hear reports once things get going.

Oh, and if anyone has a program, could I ask a favor? Could you possibly share the schedule for Sat and Sun night's competition? I'm particularly interested in the approximate start time for open latin on Saturday and rising star latin on Sunday. (I'm going to try to drive down for one of these nights, but need to make arrangements for my 5 year old, who is an early bird rather than a night owl.)

CCM

14. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

If someone does have a chance to do this, I'd be very interested in knowing what time Open Am Standard is on Saturday night as well.

Thanks!

15. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

Any results from last night?

16. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Just from memory all I can report is for Open Am Std and Open Pro Latin. Please forgive any misspellings or incorrect names.

Open Am Std:
    1. Janis Kukainis & Yuliya Blagova
    2. Joe Huesmann & Stacey Friedman
    3. Derek Walker & Jen Vestal
    4. Matt Kling & Maria Arsenova
    5. John Alston & Krista Stewart

Open Pro Latin:
    1. Nikolai Pilipenchuk & Natasha Skorikova (looked great in their pro debut!)
    2. Krasi Petkov & Yana Blinova
    3. John Leo Don & partner (sorry I don't know her name)

Rising Star Standard had something like 6 couples, and many of their names I don't know. Open Am Latin was one couple uncontested, again I don't know their names, nice dancing.

17. El Hombre

El Hombre New Member

Extremely Fun comp. more people should come to this one. Too bad the day has to change every year to accomodate New years, making it hard for some people.

Congrats to Nik. Great job on both nights. Definetly the winners of their events.

Rising Star Pro Rhythm:
    1. Eduardo Torres and Cristina Acevedo
    2. Fitz Gerald St. Claire and Kelly Walsh
    3. ?
    4. ?
    5. ? Couple from Minneapolis

Open Pro Rhythm:

1. Lucas Jaime and Yanna Samkova
    2. Eduardo Torres and Cristina Acevedo
    3. Fitz Gerald St. Claire and Kelly Walsh
    4. ?
    5. ? Couple from Minneapolis

18. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Congratulation to Yanna and Lucas, and continued success in the New year and years thereafter. Yanna, has been my coach for the past 6 years, which is longer than average marriages these days. She is the best.

19. Egoist

Egoist Member

You must pay her very well.

I don't see the actual results for rising star nor for open standard. Who won?

20. contracheck

contracheck New Member

She is worth it. Anyone who tolerates my eccentricity for so long is nearing the sainthood. I driveeverybody around me crazy, but not her.