Ballroom Dance > Yuletide Ball 2008

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by reb, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Casey

Casey Member

Amateur Standard - A

1. Derek Walker & Jennifer Vestal
    2. Joseph Huesmann & Stacey Friedman
    3. Matthew Kling & Maria Arsenova
    4. Derek Prosser & Yulia Artemenko

Amateur Standard - B
    1. John & Karen Cheng

Pro Standard
    1. Peter Minkov & Yulia Kornilova (12121)
    2. Samuele Pacchini & Tone Jacobsen (23212)
    3. Ruslan Meshkov & Alexandra Nema (31333)
    4. Nikita Novikov & Dovile Sutatite
    5. Paolo Di Lorenzo & Liene Darbiniece
    6. Bill Graner & Lisa Vegas

The A standard scholarship:
    1. Inna Perevozskaya & John Larson
    2. Angela Leeds & Marek Gabor
    3. Tom O'Hagan & Tatyana Rubin

The B standard scholarship"
    1. Elena Lee & Slava Sergiev
    2. Tom O'Hagan & Tatyana Rubin
    3. Edna Breit & Alex Rubin
    4. Deborah Pleasants & Marek Gabor

There was only 1 couple in Pro Rhythm:
    1. Fitzgerald St. Hilaire & Kelley Walsh

Amateur Latin - Senior
    1. Gary Reber & Haru Wladyka

I don't see any open amateur latin in the book --

2. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

I was also so happy to see Robert & Donlyn Wirts win. They practice all the time at my studio and they are so much fun to watch! Great couple, very nice and sweet!

3. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

Casey ... thanks for posting!

4. cshorte

cshorte Member

ditto ^.^

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I want to say that this comp had a delightful energy about it...very nice. Excellent & humorous MC, friendly personnel, moved quickly. And just felt very appealing. I look forward to returning!

6. Casey

Casey Member

In addition to the competition on Saturday night, there was a very nice tribute to Joe Jenkins and Terry Gregory, who both passed away in 2008. There was a standard formation for Joe Jenkins and a 3 couple latin presentation for Terry Gregory. The latin was organized by Nonci Tirado. Dancing also were Nikolai & Natasha, Krasi & Yana, and another person - does anyone know his name? And if anyone knows the standard formation people, maybe he/she could mention them. They also did a good job. After the dancing, there was a minute of standing to bagpipe music. Maybe someone knows the context and could explain.

7. Casey

Casey Member

Also, Frank Regan was the presenter for the tribute.

8. ChelD

ChelD Member

His name is Dimitar Petrov.

There were 8 dancers who were mostly (all?) from Alliance Dance Institute. 3 of them were Gary Stephans, Corey Von Ginkel and Michele Kearney. I don't know the names of the others.

9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Did anyone here know Joe Jenkins? I went to both his studios a coupld of times...

10. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Yes. Not personally, so much, but as a teacher. My first international style instructor was one of his partners, and my first amateur partner and I took lessons from him. We won our first competition together, too, which was largely due to him and our other coaches, though of course I thought it was me at the time ... should have stuck with that partner and coaching team for a few years rather than a few weeks.

I also remember spending a lot of time at the dances at his Joe Jenkins dance studio. There were usually about twice as many women as men, and they were all great followers because they were his pro-am students, which made it a really good place for an unpartnered guy to spend an evening. When you didn't feel like dancing, you could watch good dancing from others - with no latin music breaking up the ballroom!

It's great that Ron Bennett had these tributes at his competition - he's such a good person. Anyone know who choreographed the standard formation, what it was like, and who danced in it?

11. elisedance

elisedance New Member

From what you write, that doesn't sound like his ex, who would surely qualify for more than 'one of his partners'. His last partner was, I believe Rebecca Franquer (if I spell that right). Was she your instructor?

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Francoeur. My first real coach.

And yes, if you could get past Joe's brusque personality, he was a great Ballroom resource.

13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Thats her Joe - you wouldn't happen to have her contact info would you? If so, could you PM?

14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Oho - its OK I found her easily on the web once I had the right spelling.

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

She no longer teaches, and hasn't for years.

16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

yes, I realize that - she studied law and I see that she made it. One determined, focussed lady.

I actually knew her...I wonder if I ever saw you two dance.. ;)

17. Casey

Casey Member

ChelD mentioned 3 of the dancers in the formation - there were 4 couples and the music seemed Irish or Scottish. That's why I was wondering about the connection w/ the bagpipe music at the end when we all stood. Chel, were you videotaping? Did you dance? Does Gary Stephans have a new company? It seemed like it wasn't Alliance on the signs.

18. IfMusicBe

IfMusicBe New Member

The waltz formation was choreographed and organized by Frank Regan. I don't know all the dancers, but in addition to the 3 mentioned before (Gary, Michele & Corey), two others are Reynaldo Perez and Susan Cox. I believe the other three are all affiliated with Alliance Dance Institute.

I can't speak for Frank, but I assume the use of bagpipes in the tribute comes from his Scottish heritage. I believe he titled the waltz "Mull of Kintyre" from the music by Paul McCartney.

19. ChelD

ChelD Member

Yes, we videotaped it. Frank also provided the ladies dresses for the standard dancers. He said he had them in his costume stock. They were from a production he did several decades ago. I forget exactly what year he said.

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

That's what made her a great coach. When did you know her?