Ballroom Dance > Yuletide ball 2009

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by mad123, Oct 16, 2009.

1. mad123

mad123 Member

I know it seems early to be thinking about a comp in January, but my partner and I are debating going to this one because I have family in the area and it would be easy to tie in a visit for the holidays if I can get reasonable airfare.

Any feedback on the comp from previous years? Early posts on this thread seem positive in terms of the atmosphere. Anyone else thinking about attending this year?

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i was at the last one. very good experience. i would do again in a heartbeat. course, i'd do any comp in a heartbeat at this point, lol. but yes, good comp and lovely venue.

3. mad123

mad123 Member

Thanks for the feedback. :D

Was it pretty well attended last year? I wonder how filled they can get the ballroom given that many events take place on New Year's day?

4. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

It has been quite a few years since we attended that comp, but agree with Samina, really nice comp and as I recall it was well attended.

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

it was a well-attended comp with some excellent competition. not a *huge* comp, but certainly quality. it's the die-hards that would compete over new years... :D

6. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Never been at this comp before, but will only attend if high participation of open am category

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Small comp, nice atmosphere.

8. mad123

mad123 Member

I've encountered something I don't think I've ever seen before - it says on the pro entry form:

Couples introduced in the finals of the RS and Open should be prepared for a “dance on” using only basic syllabus.

Has anyone seen/danced these dance ons at this comp? Seems like an interesting concept...

9. Unju

Unju New Member

I wouldn't mind transitioning to the new year dancing :) :)

10. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Ain't gonna happen.

11. mad123

mad123 Member

Well, looks like my partner and I are officially going. I'm looking forward to it, especially since reviews here seem positive.

12. GinaM

GinaM New Member

We'll be there! No better way to ring in the new year... :)

For those interested, they have an amateur showcase event this year. See announcement below:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]New Dance Event Added!
    By request, we have created an AMATEUR EXHIBITION SHOWDANCE
    category...to be danced in Session 2 on Friday night 1/1/10.

Amateur Exhibition Showdance:
    An open event, one merged age and level. The dance must be choreographed to the music and have a beginning, middle and end. Lifts are encouraged!
    Music of 3-4 minutes maximum should be provided on CD to the Music Director at least 30 minutes in advance of your scheduled event.
    [/FONT]

13. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about it, but not sure. I feel like I have to be single to do this one.

14. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

Sounds like DCDI has inspired other comps to start doing Amateur show dances! :)

15. mad123

mad123 Member

Does anyone have recommendations of good studios in the DC area to get some practice time in during that weekend? Tricky with the holidays...

16. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Chevy Chase Ballroom is Metro accessible in Chevy Chase. Du Shor in Bethesda is too.

17. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Huh, did anyone else notice they added Argentine Tango to the event? There's both an Am and Pro/Am catagory, scheduled from 10am to 1pm Saturday and Sunday. I'm kind of curious to see what kind of turnout they get and who shows up to compete. I doubt the organizers would have put it in if there wasn't some sort of demand for it.

18. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

Yuletide ball

Any interesting results from Yuletide?

19. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

probably the same turn out that they get for salsa, hustle, "american" paso, peabody, polka, etc...

20. mad123

mad123 Member

For the pro events, attendance was pretty limited for Smooth and Rhythm. In fact, Saturday night there was no one entered for Smooth. Interesting results for 1st and 2nd place in Latin with a close split that led to putting who might be considered the "favorite" into 2nd. Will have to check for names.

This was my first time at this comp but I thought it was nicely done overall. I really appreciated that the dressing rooms were right across from the practice room, which was connected to the ballroom so the traffic flow was super convenient.