Ballroom Dance > Yulia and Riccardo form a new partnership

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by GJB, Sep 15, 2007.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

2. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Forwarded the video clip to my instructor and his first response was, "what the H-E-double hockeysticks! They are on a BASKETBALL COURT!!" I didnt even notice that...I was too busy looking at Yulia's outfit. :)

Anyway, I would have thought that this was a bigger comp and thus would be at a bigger venue but I know nothing about comps overseas. Are basketball courts for comps more common over there? I could understand for college events here, but I'm kind of surprised about it over there. Enlighten me, people who have been overseas, as I am ignorant... :D

3. dance234

dance234 New Member

Fan freaking tabulous. A marvelous match, much desired by so many for so long.

4. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

You're right, it IS a baseball court. :shock: Wait a sec... wasn't that a video from the Internationals? (RAH)

5. Fouette

Fouette New Member

Probably a video of the preliminary rounds, which take place in a gym. Only the top 48 dance in RAH.

6. sophia

sophia New Member

Yes, as Fouette said this is from the early rounds at Brentwood which they had to dance as they didn't compete at the Internationals last year. They won't have to dance there next year. The actual venue is the Royal Albert Hall and incredibly grand and posh!

7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

It was nice to see them, and actually to see everyone else on the floor too. What a spectacular event!

8. sophia

sophia New Member

It certainly is a fantastic event! The venue is amazing and famous for having incredible acoustics - here are a few pictures to help you picture the scene:

http://www.flg.co.uk/gallery_pages/images/royal-albert-hall2.jpg
    (Obviously the chairs in the middle get taken away and the floor is put in here

http://www.pictureyourselfthere.net/images/2007/05/03/royal_albert_hall.jpg

http://www.sights-and-culture.com/London/Royal-Albert-Hall-interior-4251.jpg

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.co...-RoyalAlbertHall-PromsLastNight-outside02.jpg

It's bigger than the photos suggest inside - it holds thousands and the audience is always full for the comp.

9. Nik

Nik Member

Great vid, I liked it a lot. A very good matchup and they both complete eachother.

10. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Yes. I think this is a much, much better match, physicially and stylistically. Yulia is a tiny person, and it was hard to match her with any but one or two dancers of her caliber and HER SIZE. Max was a good match physically.
    This isn't gossip or nastiness, but I was showing some pictures to a friend of mine, including pictures of Yulia's dress which I sold recently. My friend's first comment, and she's only a beginner dancer, was that Yulia (in pics) totally overpowered and overshone her partner (Max, at the time).
    So, yes, this new partnership is really something.

11. biggestbox

biggestbox Member

where is the video?

And how tall is yulia?

12. dance234

dance234 New Member

Scroll back in the thread.

I wonder when the final will be danced... tonight?

13. mamboqueen

Already posted in appropriate thread:

Final results:

1. Michal Malitowski & Joanna Leunis
    2. Slavik Kryklyvyy & Elena Khvorova
    3. Riccardo Cocchi & Yulia Zagorouitchenko
    4. Andrej Skufca & Katarina Venturini
    5. Sergey Sourkov & Agnieszka Melnicka
    6. Peter Stokkebroe & Kristina Stokkebroe

14. Becca

Becca Active Member

She's absolutely tiny; I'm 5'8" and even in heels she barely reaches up to my shoulder!

15. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Yulia or Hannah? Or both? I remember back when I asked you about Hannah because she looks really tall to me when she dances (I guess because of her long legs). Same with Yulia....amazing if she, too, is short but looks so very tall when dancing!

16. mamboqueen

Yulia is petite; I had a lesson with her once and I'd probably guess 5'3". GJB would probably know better tho.

17. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I would also guess around 5'3".

18. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Yulia is about 5' 2" or 5' 3", but she is small boned and looks very delicate and tiny in real life. It's a testament to her talent as a dancer that, on the floor, she has so much presence. She never looks "tiny" when she is dancing (just the opposite, actually). But obviously next to a physically much bigger partner the look would be different. Riccardo is only slightly taller, and not bulky, but he, too, has that presence factor. So I think this pairing has some great potential.

19. Masaya

Masaya New Member

When I first saw Yulia dancing on video I thought she'd be like 6 feet tall. I was astounded when I saw her in person.

20. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Amazing. When I think 5'3" I think Elena (of Andre and Elena) and how short she looks next to her partner. She truly looks 5'3". But Yulia...she looks so tall, even in that brief clip when they all switched partners and she and Andre danced together. What presence! :notworth: