Ballroom Dance > Yulia & Riccardo

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Shan, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Shan

Shan New Member

I'm new to latin dancing. but, i've seen videos of Yulia & Riccardo and they look amazing.

Are there any other currently active latin ballroom dancers who are as good as these two?

limni299 likes this.
  2. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

There is a show held in Japan every year. It features the top competitive couples in the world. Try searching for "World Super Stars Latin" or "World Superstars Festival Latin" on youtube.

j_alexandra likes this.
  3. middy

middy Well-Known Member

They're the professional world champions, so technically they're the best! But people have different personal preferences, so some other couples you could check out would be Maurizio and Andra, Stefano and Dasha, Troels and Inna. Some recently retired couples include Michael and Joanna, Sergey and Melia.

Also some excellent amateur couples as well, who could arguably be in the same league if they went pro. Andrey Zaitsev and Anna Kuzminskaya went pro recently (they compete in a different division from the above), then there's Khrystyna Moshenska (who I liked best with Nino Langella) who is currently with Marius-Andrei Balan.

MaggieMoves likes this.
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Short answer...... no

theAnnelis, middy, limni299 and 3 others like this.
  5. IlyZislin

IlyZislin Active Member

6. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Better as a couple? Debatable. As far as Yulia goes I really don't think there is an equal on the dancefloor or will be for quite awhile. As far as Riccardo goes? I actually like watching Maurizio dancing more than him.

As a couple they really are just one good step ahead of their competition. It's probably the most noticeable in their Paso.

Sania, Mr 4 styles and Leanna like this.
  7. Leanna

Leanna New Member

LOL! That was going to be my answer! US Nationals- 1st from every judge in every dance? No one touches them, in my opinion!

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  8. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

To be fair, now that they're the #1 couple, judges need a good reason not to mark them first, as opposed to it being truly anybody's game. Not to say that they aren't leaps better, but the judging results alone don't prove it.

Sania and Larinda McRaven like this.
  9. limni299

limni299 Member

If panels of experienced judges consistently mark them first over multiple comps, how does this not indicate that they're the best right now? If comp results don't prove it then what will? (not trying to be rude but just want to understand what parameters you would use)

Leanna likes this.
  10. Leanna

Leanna New Member

I agree! Not saying all #1 is the end all-be all, and I imagine there is a bit of automaticity to judging. But I wonder when the last time they got less than #1 was? Yulia's technique (sorry- I really barely watch Riccardo because I love her legwork!) and their combined showmanship just always seems head and shoulders above everyone else on the floor...

11. Shan

Shan New Member

Thanks guys, I've looked at all the other people you guy recommended. I've also been told Slavik Kryklyvyy & Karina Smirnoff are just as good.

12. Shan

Shan New Member

Also its quite interesting how some of these other dancers seem to be actually much faster than riccardo and yulia, but somehow lack the same degree of connection to the music yulia seems to have.

13. blackswan

blackswan Member

LOVE Karina and Slavik!! They were U.S. champions at one point.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  14. stash

stash Well-Known Member

They are great but are retired. They no longer compete but do showcases now.

15. blackswan

blackswan Member

There are recent videos on YouTube - they are still fabulous!

stash and Mr 4 styles like this.
  16. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Not my cup of tea. But to each their own.

FancyFeet and stash like this.
  17. Leanna

Leanna New Member

Yulia and Riccardo, or Karina and Slavik? Just curious...

18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I borrowed Larinda be a pineapple expression to motivate a staff member today. Thanks Larinda !!

19. Becca

Becca Active Member

Admittedly I've been out of the game for quite some time now (2.5 years approximately) but back then Paso was consistently their weakest dance, the one they always lost marks in and would often lose to other couples. I guess there is no longer the same level of competition now though, so of course any comparison is completely different. For me Jive was always their stand out dance.

20. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

The top dancers in each division are all amazing.

I think a lot of us will feel a stronger preference for one or the other in terms of styling, look, technical expression, etc. Our personal preference may not be for the acknowledged champions. It all comes down to who inspires you the most.

It is also possible to learn different things by watching different couples.