General Dance Discussion > Zydeco . . .

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Vince A, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Haven't seen it, nor know what it's all about, but the dance is growing in our area.

Anyone have a clip featuring the dance, so I can see what it looks like?

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I wish I did - I love the music. When I went to NOLA, we went to the Hard Rock cafe and they had the most awesome Zydeco band there. Went and bought myself a CD. Someone here must know because I seem to recall people chatting this subject up.

Ever seen the Big Easy? I think the band that is very briefly featured in that movie is the band I saw, or at least that's what my brain is telling me happened.

3. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Check these out:

http://www.czdance.com/CajunCulture/sampleVideo.html

I did zydeco for a few years -- it's pretty easy (compared to salsa, at least) and kind of flirty, fun, and playful. Lots of knee action. Not a lot of spins (again, compared to salsa!) -- but I liked it!

Melissa

4. mamboqueen

That actually doesn't look too difficult -- although for some reason, I couldn't hear any music with that clip.

There is a zydeco song on the CD I have that you could either cha cha or WCS to. Thought that was kind of neat.

5. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

The first one didn't work for me, but I checked another one that said something like "don't miss this one" and there is sound...?

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks . . . looks like a simple single count ECS, with a stomp and a wiggle here and there . . . kinda sorta maybe???

7. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

It is not a single count wcs.

The count is more closely related to Balboa although the footwork is a lot more variable.

General way of putting it: step hold step step step hold step step
    On the holds you dip into the knee of your weighted foot slightly. (holds are on different places in Bal and you're not dipping the knew)

8. Danoo

Danoo New Member

looks kinda cool but i think i'd look like a pratt while doing that :lol:

9. tacad

tacad New Member

Not debating someone who I'm very sure knows better than me, but when I did zydeco my one time ten years ago :roll: they said to step on the left toe on 1 and 3 and step normally on the right foot on 2 and 4, and then a rock back on 5 and 6. Then some guy said to just bend my knee on the 2 and 4. :lol:

A lot of them were doing ECS moves.

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

This is why I said it looked like a single count ECS . . . :?:

11. tacad

tacad New Member

From another thread. I think this is what we were taught. Again I have no clue if the teachers were authoritative or not. Or maybe they were dumbing it down for us mere plebes.

I forgot to say that the counts 1-6 above are the beats of the music. They are all evenly spaced.

12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

It is slow, quick, quick. Down South where it is hot and steamy you don't do too much of those ECS and other moves. It's all about being groovy. Posture is similar to perching on a bar stool. You dance into the ground... Dancing side to side is a hal mark of a beginner..like bachata.

13. mamboqueen

so, technically, if you don't really have to get off your stool to dance, you don't have to put your drink down either, right... :wink:

14. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Those are great clips mellody! 8)

I have to ask, are there any studios that are into Zydeco? I haven't seen it offered at any myself.

15. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Since when do depend on a studio. There is so much stuff at YT to learn.

16. tancos

tancos Active Member

Glad someone got back to him after 9 short years ;)