Recent content by doornail

  1. D

    Finding Partners at Milongas

    I sometimes travel with work and, when I get chance, sneak off to a local milonga in the evening. Sometimes I get a lot of dances, sometimes hardly any. So far I didn't sit the whole night without a single dance, but I'm sure it'll happen one day. I enjoy the process of 'getting known' at an...
  2. D

    encuentros

    Not sure whether your comment was directed at me, but I agree with you. I think we should all at least go wandering out of our comfort zones (with an open mind) and see what happens, once in a while. We might not find a new paradise, but we might discover it's not exactly hell on the other...
  3. D

    encuentros

    Well I don't have any particular reason to try to talk you into going to one. I just wanted to present a view from someone who is a frequent and enthusiastic encuentro-goer, for any readers who are interested (but who haven't been to one...)
  4. D

    encuentros

    I love encuentros and find they're always run with great love, generosity and commitment (as are most marathons, festivals, and local milongas, of course). The defining features of an encuentro as opposed to a marathon are, I would say, that it typically consists of well-defined milongas (as...
  5. D

    first signal of closed embrace

    Here's a random thing I discovered that helped me 'get the feeling'. I stumbled across this when I was crossing a car-park to a milonga once. Maybe it will help you, or maybe it will be meaningless to anyone but me! We have to find the visualisations that work best for us. Find a path, road...
  6. D

    Cabeceo promotes better dancing

    I must say that I use the cabeceo wherever I possibly can. It seems to me that there's a sliding scale between your basic blink-and-you-miss-it Buenos Aires cabeceo, via the yes-I-am-really-looking-at-you-nod-nod-nod British version, all the way up to mouthing would-you-like-to-dance and...
  7. D

    What Makes a Good Follower?

    Maybe we should just leave it at: Practice.
  8. D

    What Makes a Good Follower?

    Or, in other words, I discovered the Magical Unity Rainbow!
  9. D

    What Makes a Good Follower?

    Recently I had an interesting conversation with someone when we'd finished dancing a lovely tanda together. She asked me whether she'd been back-leading me. I was completely stumped at the time because I didn't know why she was asking. I'd not felt like I was being 'back-led'. She...
  10. D

    What are the 5 top reasons that make a man ask a woman to dance? Beauty comes first?

    This is reason #34 why I like the cabeceo. It seems to prevent 99% of these problems from occurring. Of course, we still work hard on taking/giving offence in the remaining 1% of situations...
  11. D

    Determining skill by watching

    Singing It's fascinating that people have such a different opinion on it. It's so fundamental to me that I just assumed everyone thought the same. I don't find it distracting, and the people I dance with who sing (or hum) along are often the ones I feel the best connection with. I guess it's...
  12. D

    Determining skill by watching

    Singing = understimulated? I'm normally a lurker around here but I couldn't resist this. Followers, if you start to sing during a dance is it a sign of dissatisfaction? I always take singing as a good thing -- in fact I love it when it happens. Just wanted to check that I haven't completely...