$1000s from great coaches and this ...

DL

My initial reaction was, "Don't call somebody else's dancing pathetic."

Then I looked at the clip. I just don't know what to think about that. Certainly I felt a negative reaction towards it, personally. Furthermore, it's hard for me to discern any actual dancing, within the scope of the clip itself.

All I can say is, that what is there, is presented in a very theatrical way. Whatever its artistic merits, it was professionally (for some definition of "professionally") performed, I guess. I do wonder what thought process caused that element of a routine to seem to make sense.

Perhaps the more important issue: How was it scored?

Oh, well.

cornutt

Er, um... Y'know, if something like this was in one of the more artsy showcase routines, then maybe I could see it belonging there. But in a comp routine... unless it was some kind of one-off event and they were just having fun with it.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
Eh I don't really find anything odd about it. For awhile Gary McDonald used to hold Diana's leg/foot up in his hand while she leaned away. Then he showboated to the audience... exactly the same as this guy... getting them to applaud him. He would then slowly raise her leg up to his face and very very slowly bend down to kiss it... or lick it... or bite it... or whatever. Each time they did he would change it up a bit. It's a gimmick. And some 20 years later I still talk about it.

In 20 years that couple in the video will still be talked about. So ... they did their job.

Last edited:

MaggieMoves

It's definitely a bit cringeworthy... as a dancer you kind of have to go with the flow when doing something like that. And this action clearly does not match the song they're performing to.

MAAAAAYBE it would work for a Rumba... just maybe.

"Rock around the clock" doesn't really match well with butt worshiping. ;)

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Normally I ignore this sort of thing, but when I saw Rock Around the Clock, well, an under appreciated classic.. What are they supposed to be dancing to this? Maybe they should have used Honky Tonk Badonkey Donk? Which I just tried to learn a line Dance to.

My initial reaction was, "Don't call somebody else's dancing pathetic."

Then I looked at the clip. I just don't know what to think about that. Certainly I felt a negative reaction towards it, personally. Furthermore, it's hard for me to discern any actual dancing, within the scope of the clip itself.

All I can say is, that what is there, is presented in a very theatrical way. Whatever its artistic merits, it was professionally (for some definition of "professionally") performed, I guess. I do wonder what thought process caused that element of a routine to seem to make sense.

Perhaps the more important issue: How was it scored?

Oh, well.
I get your point. I just didn’t see any dancing.

It's definitely a bit cringeworthy... as a dancer you kind of have to go with the flow when doing something like that. And this action clearly does not match the song they're performing to.

MAAAAAYBE it would work for a Rumba... just maybe.

"Rock around the clock" doesn't really match well with butt worshiping. ;)
I guess I wonder when the couples start seeing who can be the most cringeworthy as you say. I have no investment in this, just commentary. Maybe somehow this is good for attracting more people to dancing (?) ...always a Flip side I guess

Why is it cringeworthy? It's not done to the rhythm. I've seen various grinds, twerks and wines (as well as other arse-glorifying moves) to blues and rock & roll but this was just not done to the beat nor is it done to the music. It looked clueless.

MaggieMoves

Why is it cringeworthy? It's not done to the rhythm. I've seen various grinds, twerks and wines (as well as other arse-glorifying moves) to blues and rock & roll but this was just not done to the beat nor is it done to the music. It looked clueless.
Agreed... pure showboating... without any substance.

DL

The prurient side of the performance is also really not for me; and glib reactions just seem like a race to the ... <sigh> ... nadir.

ajiboyet

One of the things I have learnt from watching those competition videos where Shirley Ballas or Goran Nordin (or any of the greats or any judge) do the commentary (some people hate it apparently, I LOVE it) is that couples sometimes spend time doing tricks and make it hard for judges to know whether they know how to JIVE or not in the few seconds they have to look at you.

The cringe worthiness of the butt kissing asside (typo, but I decided to leave it, LOL), when the judges look at someone doing that, they can't see that this person (or couple) knows how to jive. And that's not good for that couple. If we assume a 12-couple round and a 96-second jive, 8 seconds is all a judge has in theory if they looked at all couples equally and only once. 8 seconds have been spent doing a weird trick (not counting set up and dismantling time)...

I'd rather just jive...

I found this hilarious. I'm not sure what's going on in judge's minds about it but I don't like it for competition. As far as an entertaining video on the internet... awesome. I appreciate a good butt too buddy.

Dance Ads