2007 Princeton/UPenn Clover Star Classic

skwiggy

well, but it IS a problem:)
It certainly is. I had to scratch an event at MIT a few years back for this same reason. We didn't even have time to grab a sip of water between interleaved rounds, so we scratched VW after making a cut just to have a chance to drink some water, and to give me a chance to tape up a really bad cut on my foot.

Hopefully the organizers can be creative and solve the problem, while inconveniencing as few people as possible. It certainly does get tricky though when people are dancing multiple levels and multiple styles.

interleaving rhythm and standard.... rhythm wouldnt' fill all the time cause there are a lot less people dancing it.

lets see

suppose one round is about 8 minutes with all the breaks between songs 10, we have 5 rounds of standard

we have 9pm-12pm - 3 hours

and we want to cut it into two sessions
we have 90 minutes

that means average breaks 10 minutes between rounds of standard.

does anyone remember the minimum by USABDA or NDCA rules?

Anna, can you start the open session earlier?

yeah, we realize the problem with pre-champ and champ standard interleaved...it actually is a bit of a nightmare because of all the cross registration (one couple is doing all 19 dances in champ, for example). The tentative schedule I have now has all standard and smooth interleaved, a costume change, and all latin and rhythm interleaved. There are some short breaks for general dances, but even with breaks it's a lot of dancing all at once...

(very) preliminary schedule:

Standard pre-champ 1/4
Standard champ 1/2
a couple general dances
Standard pre-champ 1/2
Smooth pre-champ final
Standard pre-champ final
a couple general dances
Smooth champ final
Standard champ final
Costume change, general dancing (longer break)
Latin pre-champ 1/4
Rhythm pre-champ final
Latin pre-champ 1/2
a couple general dances
Latin pre-champ final
Rhythm champ final
Latin champ final

The easiest solution would be to interleave Standard/Rhythm and Latin/Smooth, except that you have some cross-registration there so that might be impossible with costume changes.

I wonder if there is enough time to incorporate Gold into the evening session? That way Gold and Champ could be interleaved for the same style. There should be no crossover between those two levels. Of course then the problem still remains of how to work in breaks between the Prechamp rounds, if you have some people dancing 3 or 4 styles it may be impossible to interleave across styles with the costume changes.
Those are both great suggestions, but the first is indeed impossible because of costume changes (there are Dru and Alicia, and then another couple who are doing all 19 in champ plus pre-champ standard). We don't have time to put gold in the evening session, but we're considering running syllabus rhythm finals in the evening to allow for more breaks.

I could also move champ rhythm to the where pre-champ rhythm is now, and then pre-champ rhythm to the smooth/standard half as an extra break. But that's the only interleaving between latin/rhythm and standard/smooth that the cross-registration will allow. The smooth events will also give almost everyone a break.

Anyways, let me know if that will still be terrible. Also would you rather have fewer, longer breaks or more, shorter breaks?

(very) preliminary schedule:

Standard pre-champ 1/4
Standard champ 1/2
a couple general dances
Standard pre-champ 1/2
Smooth pre-champ final
Standard pre-champ final
a couple general dances
Smooth champ final
Standard champ final
Costume change, general dancing (longer break)
Latin pre-champ 1/4
Rhythm pre-champ final
Latin pre-champ 1/2
a couple general dances
Latin pre-champ final
Rhythm champ final
Latin champ final
death by standard dancing

Those are both great suggestions, but the first is indeed impossible because of costume changes (there are Dru and Alicia, and then another couple who are doing all 19 in champ plus pre-champ standard). We don't have time to put gold in the evening session, but we're considering running syllabus rhythm finals in the evening to allow for more breaks.
that might be a registration mistake about the 19 dances cause this couple is not known to do any other styles besides standard...

I could also move champ rhythm to the where pre-champ rhythm is now, and then pre-champ rhythm to the smooth/standard half as an extra break. But that's the only interleaving between latin/rhythm and standard/smooth that the cross-registration will allow. The smooth events will also give almost everyone a break.

Anyways, let me know if that will still be terrible. Also would you rather have fewer, longer breaks or more, shorter breaks?

more shorter breaks is better

skwiggy

Kitty, please clean out your PMs. I just tried to send you one and it say you have exceeded your stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until you clear some space.

Joe

You can't plan a schedule around people who choose to dance every freakin' thing. If someone is signed up for everything, they've already basically accepted the fact that they're gonna be dancing their events back to back to back.

skwiggy

You can't plan a schedule around people who choose to dance every freakin' thing. If someone is signed up for everything, they've already basically accepted the fact that they're gonna be dancing their events back to back to back.
They shouldn't have to accomodate rest for people dancing multiple styles, but they do need to accomodate costume changes.

Dance Ads