2007 Princeton/UPenn Clover Star Classic

Ithink

There are people who don't read DF?!!?

Seriously though, starting earlier is better - I am just glad I read DF so that I know it starts earlier.

Here are the projected starting times off our final minute-to-minute schedule:

7:45 - open standard
9:30 - open smooth
10 - open latin/rhythm

NielsenE

Sorry I wasn't able to provide any updates during the saturday evening session, but I was kept plenty busy.

I think we were about 30 minutes behind schedule most of the day; not sure where we lost the time, but I know the MC and Chairwoman have discussed it so I suspect there will be some tweaks tomorrow to keep us on-time.

I'f things go smoothly tomorrow morning during setup, I'll get the saturday event posted on-line then. If not probably not until very late sunday night (or more likely very early monday morning)

Just wanted to say that you guys did a great job with the comp tonight . . . I really appreciated how you gave us breaks in between the open rounds. I got to rest plenty despite the fact that I was doing both prechamp rhythm and latin. :)

I thought the comp was well run and quite convenient. Another classic example of how a gym can make an ideal competition venue. And after dropping things through the bleachers at MAC, the no-gaps design of Princeton's bleachers (and their generally more solid construction) was nice.

The one thing I would like to see done differently is the music for two-heat rounds. Don't fade the music out as the first heat ends and then bring it back up (still playing) for the second - it's an awkward "running start" that makes the comp feel unecessarly hurried (even if it is), but more importantly you run the risk of running the second heat into the oddities at the end of the song (is it over? do I spin her out? No it's not, good thing I didn't! Oh, now it is). Just restart the track like normal.

Ithink

I agree - very well-run comp, at least on Saturday night. A gym does make for an excellent venue for a competition; the locker rooms were downstairs which, after dancing five full rounds in close proximity, were slightly difficult to get down to change but they were spacious and had a good amount of mirrors for primping:)

I did have a couple of issues. First, did the pre-champ final and champ final have to be run right after the other? Was there nothing to interveave them with? A second, related issue was running VW as the last dance, after quickstep? The registration made it seem like pre-champ was going to be a five-dance, with dances run in order. The mental preparation required to dance Vw right after "giving it your all" to finish q-step strongly was denied us. So those two issues combined had us dancing the following, all in a row, no break whatsoever: WTFQVwWTVwFQ... Needless to say, our champ quickstep was less than stellar at the end. In fact, it was pretty horrible!

Other than that though, it was a great comp and very nice venue. Thanks UPenn and Princeton!

On a personal note, I got a ton of great comments and compliments on my new dress and that was awesome!!!

The mental preparation required to dance Vw right after "giving it your all" to finish q-step strongly was denied us.
On the other hand, you were given the opportunity to not dance Vw, which is not traditionally part of prechamp. Providing that pretty much requried running it last.

It would have been better if the registration announced it that way; my guess is that someone pointed out as they were getting underway that prechamp really isn't supposed to have Vw as a mandatory dance, so they made it an optional one.

A number of couples anticipating busy evenings decided not to do the extra dance.

skwiggy

I also thought the comp was very well run, and the venue was a nice size. I did find the announcements a bit difficult to hear, and the events seemed to appear out of order on the projection screen, so it was a little confusing figuring out when I was supposed to dance. But all in all it seemed to run very smoothly. Thank you UPENN and Princeton for a very nice comp!

I thought the comp was well run and quite convenient. Another classic example of how a gym can make an ideal competition venue. And after dropping things through the bleachers at MAC, the no-gaps design of Princeton's bleachers (and their generally more solid construction) was nice.
Brand new bleachers jut put in this year :)

The one thing I would like to see done differently is the music for two-heat rounds. Don't fade the music out as the first heat ends and then bring it back up (still playing) for the second - it's an awkward "running start" that makes the comp feel unecessarly hurried (even if it is), but more importantly you run the risk of running the second heat into the oddities at the end of the song (is it over? do I spin her out? No it's not, good thing I didn't! Oh, now it is). Just restart the track like normal.
Thanks for the suggestion, that's a great point. I noticed some weird things with the ends of songs while dancing, but I was so busy I didn't notice that he was actually running the songs straight through.

On the other hand, you were given the opportunity to not dance Vw, which is not traditionally part of prechamp. Providing that pretty much requried running it last.

It would have been better if the registration announced it that way; my guess is that someone pointed out as they were getting underway that prechamp really isn't supposed to have Vw as a mandatory dance, so they made it an optional one.
That's exactly what happened (in fact various people pointed it out well into registration), I'm so sorry for not announcing it ahead of time though!

First, did the pre-champ final and champ final have to be run right after the other?
There wasn't really anything to interleave them with and allow breaks between the other rounds, especially since we wanted to leave a good sized break between champ semifinal and pre-champ final (as there were definitely going to be a lot of couples in both). But I'll keep that in mind for next year and see if we will be able to leave more breaks.

I did find the announcements a bit difficult to hear
Hmm, I don't really know anything about acoustics...if anyone has any suggestion about that I'd be happy to hear them.

and the events seemed to appear out of order on the projection screen, so it was a little confusing figuring out when I was supposed to dance.
On Saturday, I guess the the projector person was typing them in as he received callbacks and not in the order of events...duly noted for next year.

On Sunday, Eric was basically projecting the callbacks directly from his laptop (well, what I heard is that they were uploaded to a website and then downloaded by the computer hooked to a projector). This was really nice for us since no one had to sit and type in the callbacks and it eliminated typing mistakes. But I think at times the order was (temporarily) off from the actual order of events. Maybe Eric can come and clarify since I only know about how the projector was working second hand.

And a big thanks to Eric, Yang Chen, Jennifer McCalla, and all the officials! Sunday ended right on time with even time for a fun dance, and as an organizer and competitor it was so nice to have things running so smoothly!

Eric's comment a page back was very late tonight - really monday morning.

I assume that means after he gets home to the Boston area... don't envy him that drive after a busy weekend. Hopefully the inche or so of snow that just fell in NYC isn't making anyones trip home too bad.

On a personal note, I got a ton of great comments and compliments on my new dress and that was awesome!!!
It is very nice. The color looks great on you!
I was so absorbed in my own new dress thing that I forgot to tell you how much I liked yours at the competition!

Dance Ads