2007 Princeton/UPenn Clover Star Classic

We almost missed the prechamp semifinal due to the acoustics and some problem with the recalls screen.

other than that everything was great and the breaks were not quite long enough, but we survived:)
good job with the schedule and everything else!

Joe

Well, you did miss over 1/4 of it. :) They were kind enough to re-run the event from the start. I guess they realized their projection and call-back systems had some...issues.

Joe

I believe this was the result of the Champ Standard final:

1 Rz O & Jennifer Guo
2 Joe Huesmann & Stacey Liptz
3 Kani Liao & Anna Chaldysheva
4 Valentin Hodgeman & Lemery Rollins
5 Miguel Valle & Alina Entin
6 Fumin Zhang & Yu Mao

Ithink

Nope, that's actually wrong. It was:
1 Rz O & Jennifer Guo
2 Joe Huesmann & Stacey Liptz
3 Kani Liao & Anna Chaldysheva
4 Miguel Valle & Alina Entin
5 Valentin Hodgeman & Lemery Rollins
6 Fumin Zhang & Yu Mao

Ithink

It is very nice. The color looks great on you!
I was so absorbed in my own new dress thing that I forgot to tell you how much I liked yours at the competition!
Thank you very much:) I was very happy with how it looked and felt!

Your new one was very nice as well although I still LOVE the black one on you:)

We almost missed the prechamp semifinal due to the acoustics and some problem with the recalls screen.
I'm really glad it worked out in the end. We fixed that later partly by having the callbacks posted directly from Eric, but next year we'll make the projector more visible (and see if there's anything we can do about the acoustics...)

Ithink

Any idea is photos were indeed taken of the Saturday night portion of the competition? The website says there was a photographer at the comp but I was so busy dancing, I forgot to pay attention whether or not ther ewas one there on Saturday.

If so, any idea when pictures will be available?

I'm really glad it worked out in the end. We fixed that later partly by having the callbacks posted directly from Eric, but next year we'll make the projector more visible (and see if there's anything we can do about the acoustics...)
The screen wasn't most visible, butthe real problem was that I dont' think the callbacks for prechamp semi were posted on the screen at all.

we looked, didn't find our number on the screen, and decided the callbacks were for the prechamp viennese which we didn't dance. So either prechamp standard recalls were not posted at all, or our number was missed if they were.

NielsenE

I'm working on the results now. Taking an unplanned personal day...

Regarding the projector screen. There were several issues:

One: I have two screen formats I can run
a) On-deck event only
b) Rotating list of all available callbacks (no implied order of events)

I asked the competition organizers and, perhaps I explained it wrong, and they requested option b, so that's what i had setup. However, due to the placement of the screen (all the way across the room from people), people kept increasing the font size past what ensured all the numbers fit onto the screen (so number would get chopped off the end and entire events sometimes missed their rotation being "below"the projector". I tweaked teh setting late Saturday night so that my displaye tried to put fewer numbers on (I think this was post Champ Standard) and all day on sunday.

Two: The Chair wanted something very different, she wanted me to display only as many events as would fit on the screen without it rotating... This meant that she wanted option a) basically but with the ability to put up more than one event at a time when the recall lists were short. To accomodate I had to still use by "all available" recall sheet, but continually add/remove recalls to keep it one page only. The all available recall sheet doesn't let me "order" events, so when we had three events (such as three finals) there wasn't a good indication on the ordering.

For next year, if I'm invited back and available, I would hope to have a better more customizeable system, but I think it would help the organizers, the chair, and myself had a better understand of what they wanted to use the screen(s) for and communicated how they wanted to use it to the competitors. I would also suggest placing the screen elsewhere, close to the on-deck area so it doesn't need to be viewable from across the room.

NielsenE

Results are up at the usual place. As the page notes, there's a few known issues that I don't need 100s emails about -- missing all the names for champ standard, missing the first two rounds of Pre-Champ Latin. I will get these fixed "soon"(but knowing my schedule right now..... If I haven't fixed it my next weeked, feel free to pester me)

Thank you! And we were really happy about how fast the callbacks and results were ready, I don't think we would have run on time without it!

About the projector, thanks for clarifying (I think I was dancing while people were figuring out what to do), I'll pass along the suggestions and we'll definitely improve it for next year.

Results are up at the usual place. As the page notes, there's a few known issues that I don't need 100s emails about -- missing all the names for champ standard, missing the first two rounds of Pre-Champ Latin. I will get these fixed "soon"(but knowing my schedule right now..... If I haven't fixed it my next weeked, feel free to pester me)

Fixed one page for ya: http://www.ballroomdancer.info/results/cloverchampstd.html

skwiggy

One other comment about the comp, although I think this one is probably for the chairman of judges. If you are going to go to the trouble of getting world class judges like Ieva Pauksena, it would be great if they could judge the championship level event in their specialized style. I was disappointed that Ieva didn't judge champ standard. Just a minor detail, but still.

Any idea is photos were indeed taken of the Saturday night portion of the competition? The website says there was a photographer at the comp but I was so busy dancing, I forgot to pay attention whether or not ther ewas one there on Saturday.

If so, any idea when pictures will be available?
Unfortunately, the photographer could only make it on Sunday. The photos are supposed to be up within a week, but as I recall last year it took more time than that (another thing to work on for next year).

Dance Ads