2008 Big Apple Dancesport Challenge

We are excited to announce the 2008 Big Apple Dancesport Challenge:

Time: Saturday, December 6th 2008

Competition will feature:
* International and American styles from Pre-Broneze through Championship Level
* 2 nights of housing! - not just Friday night, but Saturday night also for those that wish to explore the city on Sunday
* A rented dance floor - ensuring that you will dance with ease

* AND for the first time ever, the Starry Night Winter Showcase will be featuring performances by TWO top professional couples:
Slavik Kryklyvyy & Hanna Karttunen, and Arunas Bizokas & Katusha Demidova, as well as Championship/Pre-Championship finals

http://www.columbiaballroom.org/competition/index.shtml

Registration is now open at:

http://www.ballroomregistrar.com/register/Columbia08

Regular registration closes on November 12th, and late registration closes on November 19th.

Pre-sale tickets to the Starry Night Winter Showcase featuring performances by Slavik Kryklyvyy & Hanna Karttunen, and Arunas Bizokas & Katusha Demidova can be purchased by competitors during registration.

Performance tickets will be available to the general public starting October 23rd.

For more information, visit:
http://www.columbiaballroom.org/competition/performance.shtml

If you have any questions, feel free to post them on this thread and I'll try my best to answer them!

ChaChaMama

What time is the Starry Night Winter Showcase?

I'm planning to stay with my family in Jersey, as it is also my Dad's b-day weekend. It would be helpful to me to know whether this is an 8-10 PM kind of showcase or a showcase that doesn't even start until after a night of competition at 11 PM or midnight.

The Showcase will take place at the beginning of the night session. We have not finalized the schedule yet, but it will most likely be between 7:30 and 9:30.

Meagan

The Showcase will take place at the beginning of the night session. We have not finalized the schedule yet, but it will most likely be between 7:30 and 9:30.
Maybe some of this will be clearer when the schedule goes up...but after the show, you will just be letting anyone in that didn't pay for the show but wants to attend the evening session?

Thank you! That's helpful.

Think we might be going for those VIP tickets. (Little holiday present from me to me... :) )
Those tickets will be worth it. If it's anything like last year, the tickets will sell out very quickly, so it's good that you've secured them for yourself. :p

Maybe some of this will be clearer when the schedule goes up...but after the show, you will just be letting anyone in that didn't pay for the show but wants to attend the evening session?
Yep, just like last year, the evening competitive session will be open to all and will take place after the showcase.

We'll be posting a high level schedule soon on the competition website.

A reminder that regular registration closes at midnight today.

We have also sold out all of our regular admission tickets to the Showcase, however, we still have a number of second row seats and first row seats available.

BM

Ugh, looks like we're going to have to get there the night before since we're competing in the morning . . . anyone in the area got an extra couch or two?

(We've E-mailed about housing, but have yet to hear back.)

Ugh, looks like we're going to have to get there the night before since we're competing in the morning . . . anyone in the area got an extra couch or two?

(We've E-mailed about housing, but have yet to hear back.)
Can you provide me your email address, I'll check with the housing coordinator. If you've submitted a request, we should be working on it; confirmations haven't been sent out yet, but housing will be guaranteed to everyone who submitted requests by the deadline.

BM

Can you provide me your email address, I'll check with the housing coordinator. If you've submitted a request, we should be working on it; confirmations haven't been sent out yet, but housing will be guaranteed to everyone who submitted requests by the deadline.
Thank you - already contacted the housing coordinator, but I'll send you my partner's E-mail, just to be sure. :)

We're excited to announce that with generous donations from Andrew Phillips, we will be giving out scholarships to our competitors this year!

Pre-Bronze & Bronze Syllabus Events: 1st Place - $50
Silver & Gold Syllabus Events: 1st Place - $50, 2nd Place - $25
Pre-Champ Latin & Standard: 1st Place - $200, 2nd Place - $100, 3rd Place - $50
Champ Latin & Standard: 1st Place - $300, 2nd Place - $200, 3rd Place - $100
Champ Rhythm & Smooth: 1st Place - $50

Ithink

Is Big Apple following YCN rules for level eligibility? Just wondering what rules we must adhere to when choosing what level to compete in?

Joe

Is Big Apple following YCN rules for level eligibility? Just wondering what rules we must adhere to when choosing what level to compete in?
Trying to figure out how to squeeze into Prechamp to get a shot at some prize money *cough* I mean scholarships?

Ithink

Well, I don't know about squeezing since pre-champ *is* our level, except at comps that follow YCN rules... Not sure why the word choice there...

Ithink

One more question: the lack of session prices on the website, save for prices for the showcase, does it mean that spectating the competition itself is free of charge?

Dance Ads