2015 Blackpool Festival of Dance

Soulmate61

Dancers attend Blackpool from 65 countries. Mrs Wilson allocates seat tickets so that every national group sits together in one sector of audience chairs arranged like a horseshoe outside the dance floor facing the bandstand. As Marcus Hilton on the stand announces competitor numbers winning entry into the next round, cheers and shrieks ring out from national groups, joy without compare:rofl: .

American dancers tend to stay at the White House Bed and Breakfast for about £35 a night, across the road from Ballroom side-entrance. On the first Sunday (the day after tomorrow) all Americans entered in competitions are invited to a meet-and-greet dinner at Blackpool Imperial Hotel featuring dance superstars and entertainment. During Blackpool Week, American and Canadian dancers have the Imperial Ballroom reserved exclusively for their practice.

After the schism siphoning off many Italian, German, and Russian dancers to WSDF, nowadays the North American team tends to win the Continental head-to-head, narrowly beating Europe, with Australasia and GB teams trailing. Said American team however is full of European names.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulmate61

There are beautifully talented dancers from Australia as there are from USA, all of whom I miss as I suffer cold turkey. Google says their distances from Blackpool are as follows:

London ---------250 miles
Copenhagen - 1,000 miles
Moscow ------ 2,000 miles
NYC ---------- 3,300 miles
Los Angeles -- 5,000 miles
Sydney ------ 10,500 miles

Australians who fly ten thousand miles must truly love Blackpool. In a similar way there are formidable Amateur dancers who do it from the heart and from the pocket, rivaling Professionals.

Over the years Denmark with a population of 5 million probably amassed the highest count of Blackpool finalists per head of population.

Soulmate61

The streaming website is not in competition with Dance-Forums, so hopefully alright with Larinda to list below?
In previous years the commentators talked too much over the wonderful music.

www dot dsi-london dot tv
http://www.dancesportinfo.net/
http://www.scrutelle.info/results/estelle/2015/150521_blackpool/

Monday ------ Over 35 and Under 21 comps
Tuesday ----- Amateur Latin
Wednesday -- Professional Latin
Thursday ---- Amateur Ballroom
Friday -------- Professional Ballroom

Last edited by a moderator:

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
:) it isn't about me, my choice or my decision. If it is a commercial link (dance related or not) the DF guidelines specifically state it is not allowed.

Am livestreaming as well... the quality gets better and better each year but am not fond of the ads they've introduced :rolleyes:

Particularly looking forward to the latin events given the entry lists posted on dancesportinfo seem to indicate that Troels and Ina will be in Pro and therefore new Am champs will be crowned? Super excited to see where T&I slot in, surely at least semis :inlove:

tangotime

Australia is not hugely renowned for its abundance of dancers... :(

Large country, small population. However.. they produced the very first non English couple to win the Standard B/room champs, in a tie with Binick ( Alf Davies and Julie Reaby ) in 1954 ( I watched that event ). They won it outright in 1956 .

They have turned out some high quality dancers over the years, notably John Kimmins and Desmond Sinclair .

Lioness

Large country, small population. However.. they produced the very first non English couple to win the Standard B/room champs, in a tie with Binick ( Alf Davies and Julie Reaby ) in 1954 ( I watched that event ). They won it outright in 1956 .

They have turned out some high quality dancers over the years, notably John Kimmins and Desmond Sinclair .
Australia's dance scene has changed a lot since the 50s...:rolleyes:

We've got plenty of fantastic dancers, but not many at a super high level. For example, only 6 professional Latin couples competed in the Australian Championships last year, and 16 ballroom pros. Amateur is a bit better, with 22 Latin and 15 standard (at the highest level)

The latin and the ballroom people from my state both got top 50 or so of their rising star events. That's pretty great.

Side note...what are the qualifying elements of rising star? What do you have to do to be eligible?

tangotime

Australia's dance scene has changed a lot since the 50s...:rolleyes:

We've got plenty of fantastic dancers, but not many at a super high level. For example, only 6 professional Latin couples competed in the Australian Championships last year, and 16 ballroom pros. Amateur is a bit better, with 22 Latin and 15 standard (at the highest level)

The latin and the ballroom people from my state both got top 50 or so of their rising star events. That's pretty great.

Side note...what are the qualifying elements of rising star? What do you have to do to be eligible?
As I said, proportionately, if you compare the States with 350 million, pro rate that into Blackpool entries ,I think you will find that, the aussies are more than well represented.

R.Star.. Prof. who have never won a major championship .

Side note.. a few years back whilst visiting the UK, I was having a discussion with a very high profile Pro., who said this " If I advertised a Pro comp. in London, I would not get enough entries to run a final.. " ( meaning 6 couples ) ,.

file:///C:/Users/Win%207/Downloads/dance_festival_syllabus%20(3).pdf

"Rising Stars" is the slightly optimistic description of an alternative comp to the Open. Some Stars stop Rising and just stay at a plateau of performance. However, couples proven meritorious by their progress past half-way in Blackpool Open in the previous year may not re-enter Rising Stars in the following year. A couple in the Amateur comp could be world class, who simply choose not to earn an income from dance. Or said amateurs could suddenly turn Professional and head towards Professional world championship (every year on Tuesday evening, Yulia Zagoruychenko and Riccardo Cocchi come to sit in the audience to watch Amateur Latin). Rising Stars is a comp not meant to be world class, Blackpool Open is.

Dancers can enter the Under-21 Amateur or the Amateur, but not both. All Professional comps have no age limit demarcating Seniors, but Amateur comps have, allegedly. Blackpool Syllabus emphasises that over-35 Amateurs are to enter Over-35 Senior comp not the Amateur comp. So what is the position for couples with one partner over 35 and one under? I emailed Mrs Wilson, and her reply was nowhere as inflexible as laid down in bold in said Syllabus. Come onto the floor, supple, with grace, without a grey beard.

In sport and art, Australians never cease to surprise and amaze and dazzle. Lioness if you enter Rising Stars next year, I shall be sitting in the front row to cheer and applaud.

I now use a cable to connect my laptop HDMI port to the HDMI port on my 42-inch TV, using Control Panel->Personalise->Display-> Projector, and am having a whale of a time watching freebie afternoon appetizer DVDs. DSI-London announcer talks nonstop so I mute his talking, in the process unfortunately also muting music. Wonderful to watch dance as language of movement, in delicious colors chosen by delectable women, with bare backs of adorable teenage girls.

Last edited:

FancyFeet

I have been watching the livestream and getting FB and e-mail updates. honestly, I am starting to get bummed out from all the pics from friends that are there... for the first time, I am sad that I am here at home, but still happy that those I know - pro included - are doing so well this year!

(And someday, I'll be there too.)

Dance Ads