Aesthetics, Technique and Connection

LadyLeader

One of the major teachers in town is an Italian guy who left his academic high level path for tango. The follower in my profile picture has been a visiting professor at MIT (not sure of the exact title). She never left her academic path for tango but has written about it and still at age of 80+ is my wildest follower; a valuable trait when we explore new areas of movements!

tangomaniac

Very well written article. However, everybody doesn't want the same thing from tango. Some are afraid of close embrace and connection. Others use a milonga to fulfill their dream of being a show dancer, at least based on what they lead.

I agree that doing NOTHING but doing it WELL can be rewarding.

Very well written article. However, everybody doesn't want the same thing from tango. Some are afraid of close embrace and connection. Others use a milonga to fulfill their dream of being a show dancer, at least based on what they lead.
If you dig a little deeper, everyone does want same thing from Tango. A sense of contentment/happiness/dance bliss, self validation, validation from other dancers, connection with another human being. Do you know anyone who goes to milonga to be sad or unhappy or to avoid connection ?

opendoor

..Do you know anyone who goes to milonga to be sad or unhappy or to avoid connection ?
Of course not, but compared to dances as salsa, swing, samba, zouk, kizomba, forro, you will find relational disturbed and prudish people in our comunity at a higher percentage.

dchester

Staff member
If you dig a little deeper, everyone does want same thing from Tango. A sense of contentment/happiness/dance bliss, self validation, validation from other dancers, connection with another human being. Do you know anyone who goes to milonga to be sad or unhappy or to avoid connection ?
I don't think everyone wants the same thing. Sure, people want happiness, but what makes different people happy, can be radically different. Also, I do see some people at milongas who seem to want to avoid connection, (although the term "connection" has different meanings to different people).

"perhaps its reason for existence".
Well it's not the reason for its birth, but ok it can be one reason for it being still existent.

"The limitations of verbal language". You mean, a guy says "hello" to a woman and she immediately calls her lawyer? The post looks somehow USA-centered.

Dance Ads