age category question

Hello,

Would like to hear your opinion. Would you recommend for a strong girl who just turned 7 y. old to dance with the boy who will be 10 y. old in a couple of months? If they dance NDCA events- what age category will they dance? What are pros and cons? Thanks.

JudeMorrigan

That's kind of unfortunate from a quantity of competition standpoint, but I suppose it is what it is. Anyways, the most relevant age categories are:

Pre-Teen I: 9 years old or younger
Pre-Teen II: 10th or 11th birthday
Junior I: 12th or 13th birthday

I suppose this somewhat depends on your location, but my inclination would be to not hesitate to pair them up. Male dancers at that age are uncommon enough that it's seldom worth not at least giving opportunities a go. If it doesn't work out, well, partnerships don't have to be forever. Just so long as she's learning along the way.

JudeMorrigan

Sorry, I cut off part of the rulebook that I probably shouldn't have.
Age classifications, "a" through "f", will become effective on the individual's actual birthday. On a
year where a competitor is going to move from one classification to the next they may make this change anytime during a 60-day period that begins 30 days prior to their birthday and ends 30 days following their birthday.
The age categories I cited were a through c. The verbiage is still a bit clumsy (imo), but a 10 year old won't be eligible for PT1. There's no particular reason your daughter couldn't compete in PT2 though - although that's obviously one of the major "cons" you were asking for. That is, she'd be competing against 11-year old children, and can be a lot of body development between 7 and 11.

FancyFeet

There's no particular reason your daughter couldn't compete in PT2 though - although that's obviously one of the major "cons" you were asking for. That is, she'd be competing against 11-year old children, and can be a lot of body development between 7 and 11.
That said, if everything else is a match (ability, personality, goals, height, parental commitment, etc.), it could work just fine, and in a couple of years will matter less.

I've definitely seen young couples with a big age difference... and by the time they move through syllabus and get to youth or adult, they've got this connection and ease of working with each other that is just unreal.

Dance Ads