Amazing Samba By Franco & Oksana

samina

smokin'!

i luv how franco's tunic emphasizes his waist & hips. oh my... latin men should wear those things more often

Nybz

Great video, I always love bouncy sambas.
This makes me want to really pick up latin again, I've been focusing on standard mostly as of late.

Angel HI

Question, please.

I love samba...studied it in Brazil and the Carib. One of the things that I hate about much BR samba is that bounce. I REALLY LIKED THIS SAMBA!

The question; what exactly are you referring to as "bounce"? I have spent a great deal of hours training/retraining persons not to do that up/down bouncy thing that one sees so often, and to move the samba more fwd/back...to contract the core/collect the movement in the legs (which gets rid of bounce). This vid demonstrates that very well. Again, this isn't a contention; I am trying to clarify, for myself, what others are seeing/calling. This will help me to become a better teacher/coach...even adjudicator.

Hey,
That's a great inquiry.

To me bounce means: usage of knees and ankles, pelvis to create a bounce action.

But yes instead of sinking down, I always think of the energy going fwd/back (example: cruzados walks) or sideways/diagonal (on whisks, voltas)... But I do think there is a little actual up and down (height change) that occurs in samba.

While going up and down with knees and ankles, you are at the same time stretching and projecting your energy fwd/back/sideways, and that makes a very little and smooth "up and down" instead of the abrupt sudden up and down movement that sometimes happens.

Like Franco shows!

Question, please.

I love samba...studied it in Brazil and the Carib. One of the things that I hate about much BR samba is that bounce. I REALLY LIKED THIS SAMBA!

The question; what exactly are you referring to as "bounce"? I have spent a great deal of hours training/retraining persons not to do that up/down bouncy thing that one sees so often, and to move the samba more fwd/back...to contract the core/collect the movement in the legs (which gets rid of bounce). This vid demonstrates that very well. Again, this isn't a contention; I am trying to clarify, for myself, what others are seeing/calling. This will help me to become a better teacher/coach...even adjudicator.

Ithink

Saw Franco dance live at Blackpool this year. Much better in person than on video. He's quite a dancer! IMO, he was the best man in the final...

Angel HI

Hey,
That's a great inquiry.

To me bounce means: usage of knees and ankles, pelvis to create a bounce action.

But yes instead of sinking down, I always think of the energy going fwd/back (example: cruzados walks) or sideways/diagonal (on whisks, voltas)... But I do think there is a little actual up and down (height change) that occurs in samba.
Thanks for the reply. I do strive to, and teach to, as well, dance the samba w/ no up/down (save for thse steps which are intended to do so). I hope to get other replies. I believe it to make an informative discussion.

samina

With samba, isn't part of the challenge and beauty of the dance that there is significant up & down below, but that it is absorbed into the center, making the upper part of the body level and quiet? With all that going on, it requires so much control to pull together. But that acheiving that up & down and bounce are part of the formative steps to learn it...?

That's my impression of it from lessons with my instructor, who does dance it in the style of Franco's samba.

emkey

smokin'!

i luv how franco's tunic emphasizes his waist & hips. oh my... latin men should wear those things more often
im not sure if thats what they call a kimono style but according to what I saw in the idsf dress regulations that isnt allowed in competition

latingal

As for the "up and down" discussion on samba, all I can say is that I've eliminated so much of the vertical bounce by absorbing in my hips that my teachers are now saying I need to add some of it back in.

Of course that means something else could be off in my technique, but it sounds like to me there should be some up and down somewhere in there. *grin*

that tunic really really detracted from the presentation for me. honestly, i wasn't moved to watch the video through to the end, even leaving the costuming out.

Angel HI

With samba, isn't part of the challenge and beauty of the dance that there is significant up & down below, but that it is absorbed into the center, making the upper part of the body level and quiet?
Again, I want to say that my posts here are not to contest others' usage of the bounce (though, I adamantly do not). Yet, Sam, I find the post provocative in that it is almost contradictory. I say almost b/c I understand the contracitons of samba, which cause the lifting of the heels, which causes the pulse. I believe that this is what persons refer to as bounce (which I believe to be a grave misnomer, if so, and is what I am trying to find out). But, I guess the question is how can one dance, s you say, a significant up/down, and absorb it into the center? If one absorbs the movement into the center, that eliminates the up/down (which is why it is done).

samina

my impression has been that the absorption into the center is like a shock absorption of the bouncing up & down movement created by the lifting of the heels. seems to me ya gotta have that bouncing up & down to begin with in order to have something to absorb...:)

but i'm no pro so i'll leave debate of the issue to others until i dance more like one, lol.

dlgodud

Saw Franco dance live at Blackpool this year. Much better in person than on video. He's quite a dancer! IMO, he was the best man in the final...
Of course! He used to be on top of every guys in the final at Blackpool a few years back when he was an AM.

emkey

He does not affected by the IDSF regulations I think. He is a pro, so it does not matter.
I realize that though this is mostly for those that said more guys should wear them (considering this as a general statement on amateurs as well).

Im guessing since its an IDSF rule, it might be an IPDSC rule as well

Dance Ads