Another question for the males - Why did you start dance?

DancePoet

SPratt74 said:
Ok. So, my sister keeps asking me why do men start dance? Now, I have been getting the truth out of some mothers that some guys just want to meet women, but end up staying because they like to dance. And surprisingly enough, that's been the answer to the ones I've asked so far. Again, I'm not asking why you stayed in dance, but why you joined dance. I know there are all kinds of reasons, so list whatever comes to mind.
I started dancing for the following reasons.

1. Enjoyed watching it when I was a kid.
2. Express feeling through movement to music.
3. Felt it would be a good skill to have for social situations.

Also, if you are there to meet women, do you make your intentions known to those that you are interested in (think back before you were married if you are married now)? How is a girl supposed to know what you are thinking if you don't tell us in other words lol? I know that may seem silly, but I was standing outside with a friend of mine actually discussing this topic (and I don't want to go into another what is nice and what is flirting thread). She's young though, so she doesn't understand, but when you become older you sort of just go with the flow and say whatever happens... happens.

Have fun! ;)
The reason you mention is not why I started, but I'm confused over much of what is being communicated with your last paragraph. Could you explain?

DancePoet said:
The reason you mention is not why I started, but I'm confused over much of what is being communicated with your last paragraph. Could you explain?
Well, my sister asked me the first question. Then my friend asked me the second question, because she's still young and doesn't understand. So, I thought that I would ask the two questions together! ;)

DancePoet

mamboqueen said:
I heard some doctor on the news this morning offer up that men absorb male voices into the brain more readily than female voices; for some reason the female voice is "taken in" by the part of the brain that also absorbs music. I don't really quite get it. I just thought it was selective listening *LOL*
Hmmm ... no wonder I find women's voices to be as beautiful as music. :cool:

DancePoet

fascination said:
makes sense...I have offered up advice to dh bunches of time and its been like;"LALALA...can't hear you"...and let a guy say the same (insert expletive) thing and suddenly its the most profoundly useful freaking idea he's ever heard
Hmmm ... not all guys are like this ... if we choose to conciously listen to a woman, and place her as equally important as our self, it really is amazing what we can learn. :cool:

cornutt

DancePoet said:
Hmmm ... not all guys are like this ... if we choose to conciously listen to a woman, and place her as equally important as our self, it really is amazing what we can learn. :cool:
Kind of scary too. :shock:

DancePoet said:
Can you say this to my x? Really... he could learn a few things from you! ;)

DancePoet

SPratt74 said:
Well, my sister asked me the first question. Then my friend asked me the second question, because she's still young and doesn't understand. So, I thought that I would ask the two questions together! ;)
Well ... hmmm ... I guess some guys likely make their intentions known, and others likely don't, just like any other situation where guys and gals are looking to meet the opposite sex. *shrug*

DWise1

DancePoet said:
When I'm talking with a woman, having a conversation with her, then I do listen. If she's just "yakking" (as in the example given, jumping from one topic to another, none of which are of interest), then of course it would be a different matter -- in that case I'd get lost, terminally confused, and my brain will shut down. And especially if I'm getting to know somebody, I'm going to listen to what she's saying.

But then I've always prefered socializing with women -- lots more interesting conversations that with men -- so I have a lot of practice listening to women. I take after my father in that way; he always liked to talk with others about their experiences and expertise, effectively adding their knowledge to his own. One day, one of the salseras told me that they had been talking about me the other night and they decided that I was the only guy they knew who could discuss more than just salsa.

On the cruise, I'd spent most of the evening with this one woman whom I then walked to her passageway, but not to her cabin. She said that her cabin door was the one decorated by a pink feather boa (with this group, it's customary to decorate your door and they give an award for the best one). The next afternoon she hadn't shown up to the cabin stuffing, so I went to her cabin to check on her. She looked surprised that I knew where it was, so I reminded her that she had described it to me. Her eyes opened wide and her jaw dropped: "You were listening."

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
no, not all, and not all the time...but I think most are, at least occasionally..

Joe

What guys remember from conversations:

man:
hi.

woman:
can you believe that some study says men dont listen to women where did i put my makeup you know my favorite color lipstick i need it now your room could use some cleaning up oh this guy said hi to me in a funny way i wonder what he meant by that oh the dress i saw today was so nice i have to have it but i cant afford it oh i am sad i think i should have some chocolate oh no i shouldn't it will make me gain weight you seem to be paying me less attention i need to talk faster do i look good in this i need a new dress to make me look better oh i shouldnt have been eating all that ice cream otherwise i'd fit in those jeans oh i need shoes to match my outfit did you see what happened on that tv show i can't believe she's dating him i don't have enough shoes i need to go shopping you really should be going shopping with me oh what you haven't remembered every word i said ok i will just have to repeat it all again can you believe that study says men dont listen to..
hi.

DWise1

I started dancing because I saw swing dancing in a TV commercial and it looked like a ton of fun. It was for the GAP back in '98 around October. So I took a blind date to my first ever swing dance. Been hooked ever since. Getting to meet women was an ancillary benefit.

-hepcat
Relive your past. Download an AVI of that commercial, gap.avi, from ftp://poy.no/vintage/clips/ . Or you could also go through http://poy.no/vintage/ , which lists the video clips by naming their source (ie, movie, commercial, TV show) and crediting the featured performers.

BTW, be advised that the original site, Natch Dot Com, had encoded them using DivX. At the time, the only way I could view them was by downloading for free the DivX player. Currently, Media Player on XP Home can handle most of the files I had downloaded -- though MP on XP Pro seems to be broken most of the time -- , but there are a few still, such as the clip from Malcolm X, that I still need to use the DivX player on.

Dance Ads