Argentine tango - I am currently listening to

Peaches

You might be able to find a clip from Quintango's web page--just google it. It's from the "Secret Places" album.

Alternately, try iTunes, which is where I downloaded it. Look for it under Soledad, b/c I think they misspelled the group's name.

hello, I´m mikaela from buenos aires and I love all this modern tango.
I`m curently listening to debayres tango and it became my favorite. ..I discovered their first video clip on youtube.com, and it was really awesome!! the song is "I LOVE YOU", and its a mixture of anime, the band`s performance...and two tango dancers, they are fantastic!! I wish I could dance as they do..

hope you find it..and enjoy!
Thank you for the recommendation. I was able to find Debayres (in BA) and am really enjoying it. When I bought it, the salesman recommended Sudestada's "Tango Lounge" and that is very good as well.

bordertangoman

El Cholulo, Performed by TOSCA tangp orchestra; Written by Glover Gill

from the soundtrack of 'Waking Life' which has a small scene of animated tango and musicians.

I dunno what to make of the film. Its interesting but really low key.Has anyone else seen it?

Hmmm... never heard of 'Waking Life'... the last film i have seen with a bit of tango that didn't quite impress me was Take the Lead...

Is Waking Life a new film?

bordertangoman

Hmmm... never heard of 'Waking Life'... the last film i have seen with a bit of tango that didn't quite impress me was Take the Lead...

Is Waking Life a new film?
made in 2001. there are some clips on youtube. The tango is incidental to the story which is about a man in a dream meeting people who expound various philosophies.

Here are some links to listen to neotangos (Traditional + Fusion + Alternative/Non-Tango) :

Private selection of Neotango
http://www.orzeckbyrnes.com/flux.php

Demetrius Gonzales' NeoTango Radio Station Bailongo!

In windows media player: right click on radio/file/open url, then paste URL below! The playlist is at http://www.rogueamoeba.net/streams/info.cgi?uid=http://24.20.206.207:8000/playlist.pls
http://24.20.206.207:8000

=========================
Here is what Piazzolla really thought about dancing to his music...Dancing Tango to Alternative Music
=========================

Opinions vary widely about dancing with Argentine tango steps to music that is not strictly speaking "Argentine tango." Some say the "music is the dance." If you dance Argentine tango steps to Fox trot music, it is still Fox trot.

Sometimes even Argentine tango music is not acceptable to the purists because it doesn't fit into the standard mold for Argentine tango dancing music. They say it is listening and not for dancing. An example is the music by Astor Pizzolla.
-----------
Here is a piece published in TANGOReporter (February 2003, Issue # 27), from an interview with Juan Carlos Copes:
----------

"My life with Astor was very profound. I believe that he always considered me a friend and I believe that from the pedestal where I held him I always offered him what I could humbly do.

Approaching that music that made me fly so much, it made me fantasize, but also approaching him and feeling like his friend was very satisfying. I had some sort of idolatry towards him.

I remember when I met him. I was a crazy amateur back then. It was the year 1952 and those that have any memory of those days will remember they would kick out the milongueros from all the popular places.
And I said, "I have to continue with this in some way, I can't leave it." And besides learning other dances (dances that I was never very good at), like contemporary, acrobatic, choreography, I felt I was very limited with what I knew. So, I began to pay attention to the music.

"A Fuego Lento" by Salgan was one of the first tangos with which a group of inexperienced friends and I worked, then one day I listened to Piazzolla. Then I became a habitue of his concerts, which he often played on the radio with his quartet.

And one day I went to the Patagonia Theater and I told him: "Look Astor, I have a small group with amateur dancers and we are doing little stories about Buenos Aires, not only with couples but also telling stories and I would like you to see one that we did with your tango "Contrabajeando."
It seems that was a good introduction, because he came by to see us.
He saw it, thanked us, and left. And then I realized that I still have a long way to go to realize what Piazzolla had in mind. That was my first physical contact with him.

Until his last words in Rio de Janeiro after a performance, he came, gave me a very strong hug and told me: "Man, who said that Piazzolla could not be danced?"
---------------------
Let's think - isn't Tango about improvising? Why restrict yourself to some music that doesn t even have a clear definition?

Peaches

Let's think - isn't Tango about improvising? Why restrict yourself to some music that doesn t even have a clear definition?
I like the way you think.

I generally stay out of "appropriate tango music" and "what is tango" discussions, because people are generally so passionate about their viewpoints. But, honestly, it's all dance, it's all music, and different things appeal to different people for different reasons. I see no reason to restrict art and expression and emotion that way.

It's all good...

bordertangoman

I've been watching the DVD by Dino of the tango competition....(see other thread and well worth getting)

Given that most is traditional tango music and some dancing is salon and other spectacular choreography, it is interesting to see what the dancers make. Some are dancing every nuance of the music, but it seems to result in speed and a jerky staccato dance. This display of martial arts footwork leaves me cold. Its all been done before (eg by Pablo Veron who does it so well)

The dancers I like most flow with each other and the music, they don't feel the need to do something to every note. Like the volcada thread nearby, I think the volcada somehow has a distilled essence of tango in its movement:
the necessity of synergy between the partners and a passionate languor betweeen them and the quintessential requirement of two bodies in balance and counter balance to creat the movement.

Peaches

Azabache--F. Diaz & J. Omar, from the Tango Negro cd (from iTunes)

Sonar y Nada Mas--Carlos Dante and Julio ??? (can't see it on my iPod screen, sorry), from the Valsecitos de Antes cd (iTunes)

bordertangoman

This is the track from Waking Life "el-cholulo" if anyone wants to listen.

http://
entreter.blogspot.com/
2005/07/tosca-tango-orchestra-el-cholulo.html

This keeps on growing on me and its *******ing to know that there are composers out there who can do stuff of this quality....

(i am being censored and the word is r e f r e s h !!!!!)

Peaches

Flores del Alma, from the sountrack of "Tango."
Quejas de Bandoneon, from "Tango."
Whatever Lola Wants, by Sarah Vaughan & Gotan Project
Siempre Me Quedara, by Bebe
Bandy Bandy, by Erykah Badu...some remix or other
De Cara a la Pared, by Lhasa
Iko Iko, by The Dixie Cups
Eye of the Duck, by Natacha Atlas
Kidda, by Natacha Atlas

:) New iTunes purchases of Alternative AT music! :)
Have to burn a cd for my teacher so I can hear them at milongas!

Joe

I dunno...most of the time I want to dance tango to tango music. Swing music (ferinstance) doesn't make me want to tango.

Peaches

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the old, traditional music. And a lot of the new interpretations (Quartango, Quintango, Sexteto Mayor) of the traditional tunes.

Likewise, I LOVE the old, traditional embraces and styles of dancing.

But I also love the freedom and the challenge (more of a challenge for the leader, admittedly) of dancing to alternative stuff. It lends itself to new combinations of steps, rhythms, and holds that just doesn't go with the old stuff.

It's all about variety.

fun

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the old, traditional music. And a lot of the new interpretations (Quartango, Quintango, Sexteto Mayor) of the traditional tunes.

Likewise, I LOVE the old, traditional embraces and styles of dancing.

But I also love the freedom and the challenge (more of a challenge for the leader, admittedly) of dancing to alternative stuff. It lends itself to new combinations of steps, rhythms, and holds that just doesn't go with the old stuff.

It's all about variety.
Peaches - I have to say I could not agree with you more. After a decade of dancing Tango I still can't sit when I hear something new ("Guacamole" by kevin johansen) or some of the really good old classics (e.g. vuelvo al sur).

Have you ever tangoed to AC/DC - Rock n roll ain't noise pollution? It is not my all time favourite but the energy helps those who are not assertive in your e.g. back sacadas ... I use that occasionally with some of my shyer students.. ;) I think "el pulpo" did a demo once with that song too.

Check out the neotango forum and you will find more neotango addicts like us. Oh by the way for some of the interested previous posters, neo tango does not mean only new... it stands for everything from super traditional to fusion to alternative... let's enjoy the full power of Argentine Tango technique!

Happy dancing,

Fun

Dance Ads