Argentine tango posture

Peaches

Basically, it's an art form, so different people will have personal preferences. Some will also try to state/claim that their preference is a rule. I think Steve's post is pretty good about the two main variables involved in the embrace. They are: the amount of lean (towards each other), and the amount of "V" (how open is the "open" side of the embrace). The open side, being on the leader's lead hand and the follower's right hand.

Different people will tell you different things (depending on their style preferences) for how much lean and "V" there should be. The reality is that you have to cope with differences in philosophies on several things in tango, when dancing with lots of different people.
Spot-on. I'd add that besides dealing with differences in philosophies, height and build also come into play.

My own two cents on this is that it'd be best not to worry too much about it right away. Sure, curiosity is great. Find a good teacher, learn good posture and movement, and the rest is mostly just style. Good posture, good movement, good technique--it all transfers. (Never mind that no one can ever seem to agree on how to define things anyhow! ;-) ) Lean, not lean, shared axis or not, open embrace, close embrace, V-embrace or flat on...IMO it's not that important. Chances are good you'll end up mixing up all the styles in an evening's worth of social dances anyhow, as you adapt to each new partner.

Ahhh...tango! :-D

Angel HI

Basically, it's an art form, so different people will have personal preferences. The reality is that you have to cope with differences in philosophies on several things in tango, when dancing with lots of different people.
....is basically the bottom line. And, though, Steve's post speaks well of the 2 main points of posture, TN's following post is exceedingly well said.
Although a lead, I take follower's technique classes every chance I get. I have taken such a class now from three different _very_ well known women who have been dancing "traditional" tango in the milongas of BsAs for _many_ years. (I have also taken such classes from younger / nuevo / etc. instructors as well but that is not the subject of this post). The "A" is not what any of them taught! They all taught that the connection comes about because of the way that they use the floor, transfer their weight when invited to step and the way that they manage their own bodies. NOT because they lean on their partner. The embrace then provides a comfortable, soft, caring and relaxed hug. An embrace, actually.

Dance Ads