AT is sooooooooo kewl! :D :D :D :D

DancePoet

Well, without wanting to further hijack this thread into a new discussion of baroque, classical, and modern--my understanding of the baroque as you find in Mozart and Back is that there is a great deal more improvisation going on than you find in later classical composers like Beethoven. Those chamber ensembles give ample room for the individual player to elaborate and ornament the work--and when "early music" people play baroque, there's a difference from when "classical" musicians play it (the classicists tending to be rather strict).

But then, compared with modern stuff, particularly the kind of chordal play and substitutions you get following bebop and modal playing (like Miles in "Kind of Blue"), maybe it is really like the difference between baroque improv and modern jazz improv. The baroque-style improv directly impacts early jazz players, like Armstrong, who tends to stick pretty closely with the original melodic line in his improvisations. The stuff you get after the bebop revolution, though, the melodic line is totally forgotten, and you get into the guts of the chordal structure. Then you start with the substitutions, and you're like dealing with a structure of a structure, and it gets *very* fluid.
Well that is way over my head, but that's ok. Besides, many of the best conversations in life have tangents. No big deal. :cool:

Now that I've confused everyone and written a lot of probably nonsense, b/c it's off the top of my head and I'm running off to teach "Othello," let me at least get back to the main thread.

AT is way kewl! I'm currently trying to get a small group of us together so we can share the cost of the instructor and maybe get more of a group effort going here....
Go for it GR! :cheers:

DancePoet

Back to thread: Wow, this dance is way kewl!!! But how come when I dance it with my ballroom teacher as partner we both wind up giggling and goofing around when we look at each other? Isn't AT supposed to be that serious and dignified look thing?

I don't think I really do serious and dignified....
I've been known to giggle doing AT, and when I get the lady to giggle ... yowza! :cool:

DancePoet

What other dance can one ruminate and philosophize to the level that we have? Such is the depth and beauty of AT.

I told you guys it was a way of life :p ;)
I've seen some heavy duty ruminating and philosiphizing over on the other dance style forums we have on this website, too. ;)

DancePoet

If you can establish that magical connection, then it's always interesting. Furthermore, if you're worried about your stage of learning still, then it helps to have more songs (IME) to become more attuned to the lead--which helps to achieve that connection by the end of the tanda.

And...so long as you've got it by the end...no one will remember the beginning!
Now that you mention it, I understand what you mean. :cool:

DancePoet

Tango - Vals - Tango - Milonga sounds like a lot of vals and milonga! I've never been to any milonga where they play that much, as far as I know the standard is two tandas of tango, one of vals, two of tango and one of milonga. And when I've danced outside of BA there has usually been even less milonga and vals. Not sure how this is outside of Europe though.
I have the same experience in my area with two tands of tango, sometimes even three before switching to one tanda of vals or milonga.

I'm used to four tangos and three vals/milongas in each tanda. Vals makes your head spin and milonga makes you exhausted, could that be why there are only three? ;)
Could be a very good point. :cool:

I think playing less vals and milonga, and having fewer songs in each tanda could be more common where there are many beginners. In the beginning vals and milonga is scary and tango music easily sounds "the same" and boring pretty quickly. Therefore it might make sense to change more often between different orchestras and sounds?
And another! :cool:

When you get more experiences four songs is about right to get a good connection going and then you can stop on a high - you can always dance again later :)
I'm looking forward to trying four tangos in a row and see what happens.

DancePoet

True. And that's why it's better to stop after four or five max, at least for me. After seven or eight I tend to lose my focus and get a bit tired. It's best to stop when it's really great. This is easier when there are tandas and cortinas, because you are kind of forced to stop, otherwise you just want to keep going and going...
As with most things in life, moderation could be best. :cool:

DancePoet

Yeah. If a guy starts out with all this crazy stuff, which I could well have a hard time following since I'm still a beginner, it annoys me and does not set a good tone for the rest of the tanda. I'm like, "Didn't anyone ever teach you to start out with more basic stuff and let your partner relax--and then start introducing the crazy stuff?" But start out with some beautiful basic stuff, and let me feel confident and happy, and things go much better.
I feel this is a good way to do things with any dance style, and even if the leader has observed the follow's skills in advance of their dance. :cool:

DancePoet

???

I didn't think you'd ventured over to "The Dark Side," lol. (And if you have...you escaped?!?! I didn't think escape was possible!!! I thought it was like Hotel California...you can check out, but you can never leave.)
I've done both, and continue to move back and forth between the two. :raisebro:

Thankfully, it isn't like what the Eagles describe, for there is beauty in both. :cool:

DancePoet

I normally start off a tanda with just all basic stuff. Sometimes (depending on my partner), the first song is exclusively just "walks" (caminadas), except done lusciously to the music.

The rest depends on my partner. If I can sense and guage her abilities, then I try to lead something, and build off that, depending on the "Invite & accept" concept. Based on how that pans out, I determine and deliver the successive beginnings and endings of the remaining songs in the tanda.

Oh, and my best dances, strangely enough, have been the ones with the most basic stuff. IMHO, Its not the amount and complexity of steps you know. Its the quality of movement that makes a difference.
Ayuh. :cheers:

I forgot to mention the following scheme: two tandas of tango songs, one tanda of milonga, two tandas of tango, one tanda of vals (of course, tandas are separated by a cortina). I usually like more this one.
Tanguera, I wanted to ask you - where you dance, are there actually milongas where they play one tanda tango, one tanda milonga, one tanda tango and one tanda vals like you mentioned earlier?

I've just never experienced it myself and it would be interesting to see how that would affect people. Personally I love both vals and milonga, but maybe that's mainly because I usually only get two tandas of each in a night at the places where I dance.

samina

my goodness... this thread sure has been active over the weekend...

BF pressed forward again yesterday with wanting to AT with me... need to get my dance budget straightened out... am so ready to kick things into a new gear. :)

Tanguera, I wanted to ask you - where you dance, are there actually milongas where they play one tanda tango, one tanda milonga, one tanda tango and one tanda vals like you mentioned earlier?
In the Italian town where I am from, there are three milongas and all of them follow the scheme two tandas of tangos, one of milongas, two of tangos, one of valses and the rule of having tango tandas one song longer than the milonga and vals ones. There were tango teachers from Buenos Aires who teached to musicalizadors to play the music like in BsAs.
I have been to dance to several Italian towns, including Rome, and the musicalizadors played tandas following these rules.

In the Swiss city where I am staying there are several milongas: more than one per day, so you can choose between them the one you like most. There are musicalizadors who play songs with more *freedom*, others who play music in a BsAs way and others who just let a cd play all night long... I don't choose between them for the music sequence.

I've just never experienced it myself and it would be interesting to see how that would affect people. Personally I love both vals and milonga, but maybe that's mainly because I usually only get two tandas of each in a night at the places where I dance.
I like to know what kind of music comes next, but I don't mind if the musicalizador plays music at random.

Aha, OK! I thought in one of your previous posts you said that only ONE tango tanda was played between milonga and vals, so there would be 50 % tango, and 50 % vals and milonga. TWO tandas between, as you describe here, is just what I'm used to and like.

The music is very important to me and I definitely prefer to have a pattern so you know what to expect. I can't stand it when the dj only plays say one vals and then switches to something else. Don't like it either if they play too many in a row...

I don't think everything has to be as in Buenos Aires, but there's a reason behind most of these traditions.

Peaches

Am I the only one who just doesn't care?

I love tango, vals, and milonga equally. I love traditional, instrumental, electronic, and alternative equally. Tandas, no tandas. I don't care. Just play music, and let me find a partner who can lead a nice AT.

It doesn't even have to be a milonga. I'll dance AT at a ballroom social if I can find a competent AT leader.

(I guess I'm just easy like that!)

Ampster

Am I the only one who just doesn't care?

I love tango, vals, and milonga equally. I love traditional, instrumental, electronic, and alternative equally. Tandas, no tandas. I don't care. Just play music, and let me find a partner who can lead a nice AT.

It doesn't even have to be a milonga. I'll dance AT at a ballroom social if I can find a competent AT leader.

(I guess I'm just easy like that!)
Me! :rolleyes: I dance AT to just about anything. I've actualy Tango'ed to AC-DC's Rock and Roll is the Solution.... It can be a tad weird at times, but it in a pinch, it can be done.

Peaches

Me! :rolleyes: I dance AT to just about anything. I've actualy Tango'ed to AC-DC's Rock and Roll is the Solution.... It can be a tad weird at times, but it in a pinch, it can be done.
Dangit!!!!

Why can't you be living near me!!! Why, god, why???

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I soooooooo want the chance to dance AT with you. (*waves to your LW*--with all due respect to her, of course)

Dance Ads