Bachata after spinal fusion

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in learning bachata. I had scoliosis surgery 17 years ago so most of my spine is fused giving me limited mobility. I feel super awkward doing the basic steps and it doesn't look smooth when I do the hip movements. Will this improve with practice or will my condition limit me? Thank you.

opendoor

Fused vertebra of course will bring more forces to the free edges. That said before hand. But, however, most guys starting bachata do not move smooth on the dance floor. So you are in good company. Simply wear a visible knee bandage to indicate some limitations and go. Make your own experiences and be aware of your body reactions. Any sort of attentive motion may be helpful and beneficial for you. But as far as I have seen, most bachata teachers of course know to dance, some know to teach, but the majority isn't well educated in body mechanics or physiotherapy. I mean, you have to take care of yourself. Do not rely on them!

Last edited:

MaggieMoves

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in learning bachata. I had scoliosis surgery 17 years ago so most of my spine is fused giving me limited mobility. I feel super awkward doing the basic steps and it doesn't look smooth when I do the hip movements. Will this improve with practice or will my condition limit me? Thank you.
You can tap your foot instead of lifting your hip. I see that in LA.
Yep - that works especially for men. The accentuated hip movement is really for women.

Dance Ads