Ballroom style

Vincent & Flavia are professional ballroom dancers and their argentine tango is amazing. Therefore, I don't like the way Vincent moves his torso. John has a better control of his shape.

Subliminal

Argentine tango, ballroom style:

In my opinion, the perfect style. And they're just kids :cool:
So. I'm one of the ones on this forum who feels you should judge social dancing as social dancing, demonstrations as demonstrations, and choreography as choreography. And I really enjoy a good show tango. I loved Forever Tango.

But....

Ugg.

I appreciate that they are very talented youngsters. But the style... are you serious? Are they Latin dancers? Their sharpness is just... way too much for tango. I really don't like the way he moves in particular. Really really don't like it. She's somewhat better.

And their ganchos... don't get me started. :eyebrow:

ok. Enough negativity. I'll bite my tongue now, because they're probably good kids. And props for stepping outside of their normal dancing zone.

JohnEm

Argentine tango, ballroom style:
(My Edit) Can't bring myself to re-embed it
In my opinion, the perfect style. And they're just kids :cool:
Oh dear - this forum should come with a Health Warning.
Or at least a potted statement of each persons idea of tango
so at least we know the basis of any opinions/advice offered.

At least we know where you're coming from now.
And by the way, on any basis - it's horrid.
But that's just my view.

dchester

Staff member
So. I'm one of the ones on this forum who feels you should judge social dancing as social dancing, demonstrations as demonstrations, and choreography as choreography. And I really enjoy a good show tango. I loved Forever Tango.

But....

Ugg.

I appreciate that they are very talented youngsters. But the style... are you serious? Are they Latin dancers? Their sharpness is just... way too much for tango. I really don't like the way he moves in particular. Really really don't like it. She's somewhat better.

And their ganchos... don't get me started. :eyebrow:

ok. Enough negativity. I'll bite my tongue now, because they're probably good kids. And props for stepping outside of their normal dancing zone.
Yeah, I feel similar to you. The kids are talented, but it was just seemed like some sort of bizarre caricature (or something) to me.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
Well it is a ballroom couple, performing for ballroom shows and competitions...so it would be appropriate for them to adhere to the norms of the ballroom community, which is routine based shows. If they miss the mark on creating an authentic A.T. for you, it can be forgiven by the crowd they perform for since within their context they are spot on.

They also have a beautiful bolero and very authentic mambo, both choreohraphed and a highly entertaining show.

UKDancer

probably because it is not a ballroom tango. It is a ballroom shows interpretation of AT....
Yes, I know, but I hadn't seen your comment when I wrote my own, which was in reference to the thread title, rather than a response to yours.

OTOH, this is neither BR tango, nor AT, just bad tango. I'm sure the crowd loved it. The other clip, from Vincent & Flavia, isn't one of their best show dances, but at least they are (were) competitive AT dancers as well as being first-rate 10-dance former competitors. Those familiar with the UK Strictly Come Dancing show would probably agree with me that they are by far the most versatile of all the professionals appearing: they do the lot, and to a very high standard.

I guess I didn't see the point. Is ballroom trying to come out with a new version of tango?
Well, it would (does?) sell well.

dchester

Staff member
Well, it would (does?) sell well.
OK, makes sense.

I guess I just have a bit of an issue with calling something Argentine Tango, that didn't come from Argentina. With all the complaining that people do about Nuevo, at least that actually came from Argentina.

If they miss the mark on creating an authentic A.T. for you, it can be forgiven by the crowd they perform for since within their context they are spot on.
It may just be the section of this forum that the video was posted to. If posted to the AT section it is inevitable and not unreasonable, that it will be looked at from that point of view.

But my humble opinion was that the lady in the 1st video was as supple as any dancer I have ever seen, both her and her partners leg speeds were lightening fast and purely as a performance, not an AT performance, I enjoyed watching it.

I thought that the performance in the second video was a bit stale and laboured by comparison.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
Ya know I was hired to do a show for a competition. It was right after 9-11 and we were asked to do a patriotic theme. One of the numbers we did was a waltz to Ashoken Farewell. I went to the online forums to ask the Civil War reenactors so advice on costuming. Not only was I flamed and almost banned for daring to even suggest that Ashoken Farewell was a Civil War song, but I was chastized endlessly for admitting that I was going to be using plastic buttons and velcro on my "costume".

They insisted that everything I did, including making by hand, the wooden buttons on my "clothing" down to original 1800's eras waltz choreography was completely necessary otherwise insulting to the reenactors. Until finally a former professional ballet dancer turn Civil War reenactor came to my rescue, because he understood the "show" aspect of my questions.

I was not trying to replicate anything authentically, but create a show and a visual story that lead my ballroom audience to experience something different.

Why can that not be enough?

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
It may just be the section of this forum that the video was posted to. If posted to the AT section it is inevitable and not unreasonable, that it will be looked at from that point of view.
Exactly the point. The show was presented to a ballroom audience.... And if an AT couple performed their rendition of a Ballroom Tango... I might even appreciate the fact that they looked outside their own culture to explore something different, without calling it horrid.

Dance Ads