Best New Songs

At 43 mpm you could probably do a jive from her The Woman I Am album released 2013.

Kellie Pickler
LIttle Bit of Gypsy

Last edited by a moderator:
Since its time signature is 4/4, that would be a bit difficult. ;) I agree, however, that there is something about it that made me think VW. Can anybody who understands music better explain what might make it feel that way?
I don't understand anything about music, except that it has beats, some beats stronger than others. It seems that with swingy and foxtrotty music that have groups of 4 beats, you can group them in pairs, one beat in each pair being stronger than the other (strong-weak-strong-weak, or weak-strong-weak-strong), so it's not just a matter of having one strong beat at the start of the group and the remaining beats being equally weak. Viennese waltz music, in contrast, does seem to have one strong beat at the start of each group of 3, with the remaining beats being weak (strong-weak-weak).

The reason why I think some 4-beat music that could actually be danced as foxtrots or swings, has a certain Viennesey feeling to it is that they have one strong beat at the start of each group followed by a group of equally weak beats (strong-weak-weak-weak). That's why I think Stay may sound foxtrotty to some (it has groups of 4 beats), but Viennesey to others (only the first beat in each group has any kind of emphasis). Either way, it would feel strange to dance to, although if I really had to dance to it, I'd do a foxtrot. Even as a West Coast Swing I think it would seem strange, and you can do West Coast Swing to all kinds of different music.

I'm sure someone will come up with a more technical explanation.

From watching DWTS, it seems that there's a new ballroom dance now -- something called "The Contemporary". Maybe that's what we could do to this music, once we figure out all the new steps.
Last edited:

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Looking at the sheet music for piano for Stay, I notice that there are lots of half notes, and dotted half notes in the bass clef. And, while the treble clef is mostly quarter notes, the lower note of the chords that are played are also half notes.
I'm not familiar with what contemporary fox trot uses for basic patterns, but in the era I've been studying slow, quick quick is quite common. It bears more than a passing resemblance to the waltz 1 2 3. In fact some older dance book authors talked about / complained about the ignoramus waltz - Waltz-a-Deux Temps, or Two-step Waltz.

And, as far as doing WCS to that song... I guess I'm coming around to the view that often WCS danced to music without any swing or shuffle in the song.. is .. well..

I hear swing on this one... but but I'm sure others will hear something else (good thing I'm not a leader!):

Olly Murs
Dance With Me Tonight

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Olly Murs - Dance With Me Tonight

Good one. It would definitely make me want to swing.
It has a very 50s rock n roll feel to it.
I found it really easy to feel the phrasing, if you are into mixing your 6 count and 8 count stuff.
(Sheet music has the good ole notation the two 1/8 notes should be played unequally.)

Some of these songs I can't believe I've forgotten about, especially since cha-cha is my favorite dance.

Robin Thicke "Blurred Lines"
Year: 2013

Dance Ads