booty shake

ohh man i love how those people on music videos do the booty shake but i

have no idea how theyy do it!! anyone have any advice on this??

pygmalion

Are you talking about the up and down hip shake movement? That's a tough one. Seriously. Some people do it naturally, but I'm not one of those people. Belly dancing class might be a place to learn -- basically, the move is using isolations -- isolating the muscles in your pelvis. Some folks do it completely naturally by imitating others. The rest of us take months or years to learn. That move is NOT easy.

pygmalion

If eryyca is talking about the move I'm thinking about, either belly dance or African dance is good. But belly dancing lessons are easier to find than real African dance lessons. The move is a sort of quick hip rotation -- it looks like up and down with the bottom, to the casual observer. But it's not. It's rotating the hip flexors really quickly. It's difficult!

I learned through belly dancing (assuming what you mean).... it's more in the thighs than the booty. Once you get used to it, it's so easy, but I remember when it wasn't

I'm not really sure how to explain it... but concentrate on shaking your thighs (feet on the floor) rather than shaking your "booty"... the booty will shake itself

Twilight_Elena

I always had a wide range of hip motion so ballroom training took care of the rest. ;) Belly dancing is really good for hip motion, shimmies and general booty shaking, so I suggest you try that. If you don't like belly dancing, there's always salsa, merengue, etc. which will give you good hip motion to start with.

Twilight Elena

Twilight_Elena

pygmalion said:
Are you talking about the up and down hip shake movement? That's a tough one. Seriously. Some people do it naturally, but I'm not one of those people. Belly dancing class might be a place to learn -- basically, the move is using isolations -- isolating the muscles in your pelvis. Some folks do it completely naturally by imitating others. The rest of us take months or years to learn. That move is NOT easy.
I agree, Jenn. It actually came sort of easy for me and became much better with practice, but it's indeed difficult. And samba has a lot of it, so I'm screwed. :rolleyes:

Twilight Elena

i've been asked this same question before by one of my friends/students and it was hard to explain. in hiphop, i personally say that the booty shake goes best in the 'krumping' category, but everyone has their own opinion. Being a male, i don't use that particular move, however in krumping, there are still hip and pelvis isolations for males. Applying the same principals and foundations to females should give simialr, or even better, results.

1) you need to get quite low to the ground, with your knees bent and a wide stance.

2) for males, you can shoot your pelvis out in front of you and achieve the effect that way, or with what you are saying, you'll want to ' pop ' you're booty upward and outward behind you.

i know this isn't very in depth, but it's hard to explain in person without showing it, let alone over type. hope this helpped

NOTE: the belly dance lessons are a great idea, some of my friends went for it, and came back with it clean.

Twilight_Elena

BrookeErin said:
I'm not really sure how to explain it... but concentrate on shaking your thighs (feet on the floor) rather than shaking your "booty"... the booty will shake itself
Booty motion does not from booty come.

Twilight Elena

booty shakes.. i luv u like none other

but alas.. they are seldom done the way i like it.. fire, isolation, talent, taste and heightened musical sense are required .. yet hardly acheived for different reasons..

personally .. i shake it cause i own it.. so drop it like its sizzzzzlin.. ya dig?

pygmalion

Sabor said:
booty shakes.. i luv u like none other

but alas.. they are seldom done the way i like it.. fire, isolation, talent, taste and heightened musical sense are required .. yet hardly acheived for different reasons..

personally .. i shake it cause i own it.. so drop it like its sizzzzzlin.. ya dig?
Sabor. You ... rock! You are the best!!!

I think sometimes it's not sizzlin because it's not a natural movement for everyone. Just like good old Latin hip motion. For some people it's just as natural as breathing. For other people ... not so much. :?

Somehow I have no difficulty believing that you drop it like it's hot. *giggle*

pygmalion

numba1 said:
i've been asked this same question before by one of my friends/students and it was hard to explain. in hiphop, i personally say that the booty shake goes best in the 'krumping' category, but everyone has their own opinion. Being a male, i don't use that particular move, however in krumping, there are still hip and pelvis isolations for males. Applying the same principals and foundations to females should give simialr, or even better, results.

1) you need to get quite low to the ground, with your knees bent and a wide stance.

2) for males, you can shoot your pelvis out in front of you and achieve the effect that way, or with what you are saying, you'll want to ' pop ' you're booty upward and outward behind you.

i know this isn't very in depth, but it's hard to explain in person without showing it, let alone over type. hope this helpped

NOTE: the belly dance lessons are a great idea, some of my friends went for it, and came back with it clean.
Yay!!! Thanks, numba1. :D

Dance Ads