Build a practice dance floor

klo

I built a removable 10ft x14ft dance (jazz) studio over carpet in my basement. I'm sharing in case it saves you time. I cut some corners.. but the solution works great:)

I put the cash in a real floor- I bought Adagio Tour (~$400 on sale). Before you buy, check to for dance floor remnants.. you can save $$$ (I found them after I bought mine... argh!).

I used remnant carpets to make the floor more even.. it also provides a little bounce. Not exactly textbook a solution, but works. Then I pieced together 2x2 Dricore boards (Home Depot $6/ea) for the floor surface. They are tongue and groove- no nails. Then I taped the Adagio on top. I also bought 5ftx3ft mirrors (home depot $60/ea). Once I had materials, it took 5 hours. Sturdy for now, removable (if desired) in later years.

A few subfloor notes.. Dricore was the same price as 3/4 inch oak, but easier to handle (I'm a 1 woman band). 1 inch foam interlocking floor pieces would have been easiest to install and provided more spring, but you need even floors and they cost more than the Dricore.

If you plan to build.. hope this saves you some time!

Loki

Other threads on this, but you put Adagio over Dricore over carpet on concrete? Which interlocking foam product were you considering? Dricore here is rather pricey per piece. Cool stuff, but still pricey like oak plywood. I've considered Dricore over concrete with maybe 1/4-in plywood on top. I agree that 3/4-in oak is gawd awful heavy in 4X8s.

Just curious...

klo

Yes.. I did Adagio over dricore over carpet over concrete. I didn't want to pull up the carpet. I wouldn't plan that way to begin, but it worked well.

Interlocking foam pieces- 1" thick wrestlers MMA mats (matsmatsmats.com). To save $, use a 3/4 inch or even 1/2 inch interlocking/puzzle piece foam used in gyms, kids areas, etc. You may want to buy some foam tiles and a single 1/2 to 3/4inch piece of ply (then your Adagio or other floor goes on top). Try it out first before buying everything to make sure it works for you (not sure type you do). However, you need a fairly flat floor to lay it on in order for your dance floor to not ripple.

For dricore option.. look at home depot online. You can usually buy it for $6.14/piece and get free delivery depending upon where you live or their promos. Dricore is very sturdy, hard stuff. I think 1/4 inch ply on top would be overkill to be honest. Dricore truly creates its own hard surface to put the floor directly on top. If anything, I would try to put some foam under the dricore (foam rolls from a craft store like Joanne's if you have it) to help the dricore spring a bit since it is directly on concrete (2 hard surfaces hare tough on shin splints).
Good luck!

Yes.. I did Adagio over dricore over carpet over concrete. I didn't want to pull up the carpet. I wouldn't plan that way to begin, but it worked well.

Interlocking foam pieces- 1" thick wrestlers MMA mats (matsmatsmats.com). To save $, use a 3/4 inch or even 1/2 inch interlocking/puzzle piece foam used in gyms, kids areas, etc. You may want to buy some foam tiles and a single 1/2 to 3/4inch piece of ply (then your Adagio or other floor goes on top). Try it out first before buying everything to make sure it works for you (not sure type you do). However, you need a fairly flat floor to lay it on in order for your dance floor to not ripple.

For dricore option.. look at home depot online. You can usually buy it for $6.14/piece and get free delivery depending upon where you live or their promos. Dricore is very sturdy, hard stuff. I think 1/4 inch ply on top would be overkill to be honest. Dricore truly creates its own hard surface to put the floor directly on top. If anything, I would try to put some foam under the dricore (foam rolls from a craft store like Joanne's if you have it) to help the dricore spring a bit since it is directly on concrete (2 hard surfaces hare tough on shin splints).
Good luck!
Pretty sure the plywood is because he's a ballroom / other suede on hardwood styles guy. Adagio isn't really suited for suede, I'd guess.

Dance Ads