Butt wiggling and flashy footwork are not tango

bordertangoman

There is a difference between preserving the old ways so they are remembered and used as they should be...and closing your eyes to all new possibilities.

It's funny...we have the same battles in West Coast Swing and Country. There are those who think these dances should not have evolved and should stay exactly as they were when they were invented decades ago. I, for one, much prefer the modern ideas, as long as the fundamentals that established the dance are observed. Yet, this doesn't seem to be as much of an issue in Ballroom. There are some who will complain that competitive dance doesn't look anything like what they think the dance will look like, but there isn't nearly the same level of outrage and passionate debate.

you get exactly the same thing with Classic Boats; some enthusiasts love the feel and aesthetics of wooden boats; they are lovely, but the guys (with oodles of money ) who built the J-Class yachts wanted the biggest and the fastest; the trailblazers are the ones who would now be looking at Carbon rigging, kevlar sails and whatever technology could offer them. The ones who hold affection for wooden boats can despise GRP plastic etc, so you get polarisation..

LKSO

OK, once again: if you think that any one of the true classics has a narrow range of possible interpretations, you have a lot to learn about the music and how to dance on it.
I think we are actually in agreement and have always been in agreement. The only problem we have is our definition of "narrow". I agree with everything you said and that is what I mean by narrow. By ambiguous music, I mean a modern dancer could do something radical with it and have vastly varying movements to it irrespective of the music and it would still be considered appropriate.

Which is entirely normal, given you haven't been at it for long, but I'm still puzzled by your insistence that what you don't see or hear mustn't be there.
Why do you resort to such off-handed insults? I know how it would have been interpreted when I mentioned how long I've been dancing AT, but chose to do so anyway knowing there is a bias about it taking years to be good at anything. I realized this and disclosed that information anyway.

And that video is incredibly horrendous for a performance. While the music was a classic, the dancing was not. Butt wiggling and flashy footwork were not appropriate to the music. Anyone who listens can see it. But those who only look can't hear it.

AndaBien

I find it odd that, in a dance prized for it's individual expression, some people can decide what is or is not appropriate. I've heard declarations that one should dance according to the style of the decade, assuming there is agreement on that. People should also dance according to the size of the room certain orchestras played in. Who gets to make those decisions?

Aren't we supposed to dance the way we feel at the moment? Shouldn't our personality be evident in how we dance? And, regarding the video, it was a performance. I didn't like the way they danced, but it wasn't me doing the dancing. They looked like they were having a great time. I also thought they hit the music pretty well.

sixela

Why do you resort to such off-handed insults?
To say you still have a lot to learn about what can be done with tango music if you've been listening to it for two years is not meant as an insult.

If you don't want people to react to you with puzzlement (and taking that as an insult) I'd suggest to stay a bit wary of grand generalisations that can be misunderstood by others that use the terms you use differently from you. But that's only well-meant advice; feel free to ignore it, but then don't complain if you rub some people the wrong way. If we have to express ourselves with precision and carefully for fear of insulting you, then it would seem normal that you extend that courtesy to others as well.

Bailamosdance

I too find it always amusing that proponents of Arg Tango talk so much about the freedom to express, the renounciation of choreography specific to the dance, and the continued talk about not taking lessons that would give patterns, yet are extremely agitated when someone comes in and does what they feel when it is not within a strict, shallow and genre specific set of coded movements. It IS like a private club that says no entry without adherence to the dress code, passwords, and forms. I call BS to the people who mask their narrow focus in the guise of authenticity. The people who invented whatever is within a dance did so irregardless of the folks around them who cried that there was only one way to dance....

Siggav

By ambiguous music, I mean a modern dancer could do something radical with it and have vastly varying movements to it irrespective of the music and it would still be considered appropriate.
For what it's worth that's how I read your post as well. I.e. ambiguous music being music that you could dance non tango to. Contact improv! Modern dance! Contemporary! West coast fusion! and it would still fit the music. While with traditional tango music actually dancing tango to it fits best by far.

I.e. the "narrow" part is that it fits by far best with actual tango. There is obviously endless variation and intrepretation etc within that.

A disclaimer, I'm not a tango dancer (at this point anyway) but I love the music.

Mr 4 styles

You might be reflecting what you hear in the music, which may not be anything to do with your personaility.
certainly true, however ONE's personality is one of the "hue filters" through which the music is portrayed, unless ONE is a truly gifted actor

its is a biologic impossibility, at the molecular level, to escape ONEs personality;)

Mr 4 styles

(*also read David Hulme on the Self)
interesting........ in the absence of sufficient anatomic and molecular biologic knowledge( absent at the time) he postulates ( albeit named differently) what is essentially the neurobiochemical model of memory and hence personality

very insightful

AndaBien

...anatomic and molecular biologic knowledge( absent at the time) he postulates ( albeit named differently) what is essentially the neurobiochemical model of memory and hence personality...
We had a similar discussion in another thread. I don't need the science to be able to look at dancers I know and see their personalities reflected in their dance. Dance is a body language, and you can observe a lot just by looking around (to quote Yogi Berra).

Would people want to learn tango after viewing this video?

All the unnecessary butt shaking and fancy footwork is leaving the wrong impression on social dancers. These Argentines should be doing something to help the cause of social tango, but instead they are giving a performance that is not tango.

Couldn't we call this kind of performances as intitiation rituals for social AT?

There are many of us who got their first impression of AT at a performance. It makes good advertising and it is easy to buy a ticket, go and see. Next step can be totally in another direction. After the show, in the same evening I continued to a milonga, saw a couple dancing quietly and I knew: That would be nice!

I do not remember the show but I can still clearly recall the couple!

A little rant: We could ask Youtube to develope an adult button so the social dancers are not able to watch the wideos including lets say: Open embrace, some traces of choreography, high boleos as well as some other features.

BTW I love them dancing together!

AndaBien

...We could ask Youtube to develope an adult button so the social dancers are not able to watch the wideos including lets say: Open embrace, some traces of choreography, high boleos as well as some other features...
Actually, I think there is one. There is a little flag icon that allows you to report offensive videos. Or to rate them as "adult". Oh, no! Not another "adult" tango!

Dance Ads