Calling all hustle dancers!

I just realized, during all the time I've been hanging around DF, about 6 months now, I've seen lots of discussion about ballroom in all its forms, country, AT, WCS and salsa, but I don't recall reading any hustle threads. I took a hustle group class over the weekend and had so much fun! I am active in both the ballroom and country western communities where I live and hustles are always played at both types of dance socials, and I've always loved it, especially when danced to traditional '70's music--BeeGees, etc . Any other hustlers out there? :confused:

Peaches

LOVE IT!!

I only know the "inferior" 3-count hustle...haven't run across anyone who dances latin hustle, but I'd love to learn it.

I particularly like dancing hustle to a lot of the electronic AT music out there...

Hmmm, never thought of the 3-count hustle as being "inferior" to anything. But of course, I have no idea what the latin hustle is...can you enlighten me?

samina

BF is a big hustler and has introduced me to how fun the dance can be. i don't know much, but whatever he does with me is dreamy... so relaxing, like floating on air. i love it. it's not the 3-count version... does that make it latin hustle? dunno... but will ask today.

he's studied for years with someone in our area who's very well-known.

Sounds like maybe a 4-count hustle...the only difference between 3 and 4-count is that the steps done on 3-and are done on the 3-4 counts, which does give the dance a more floating feel. However, if done correctly, the 3-count hustle is very smooth-feeling, too.

When it comes to hustle, personally I am a speed freak and love a fast 3-count hustle to get my blood pumping.

Now you've piqued my curiosity...ask your BF what kind of hustle he's doing with you, and I'd love to know who he's studied with.

samina

dianne nardone. i thought it had the 1, 2-&, 1, 2-& thing goin' on there. definitely not 4-ct. will ask today.

i asked him to give me some basic hustle lessons over the weekend, but we never got to it. in particular, i know i'm not stretching my torso into a proper counterpoint i see the ladies do all the time, and i want to correct that so i don't look like such a troll. :)

FTL

Finally, I thought I'm the only one who cares about hustle since I don't see any discussion of hustle. I am not so sure about the 3 count hustle or latin hustle but I know that it's counted as "and 1 , 2, 3". There are some variations on the count. It has a lot of arm movements which the oldies attribute to mambo but I feel like it's more salsa-ish. I am not so sure about my salsa history but could have been a derivative of mambo as well.

I love dancing hustle to 70's music and sometimes we have it as a theme so we all dress up in polyester.

Peaches

BF is a big hustler and has introduced me to how fun the dance can be. i don't know much, but whatever he does with me is dreamy... so relaxing, like floating on air. i love it. it's not the 3-count version... does that make it latin hustle? dunno... but will ask today.

he's studied for years with someone in our area who's very well-known.
Don't know that I'd ever have described it that way, but I find it very relaxing and exhilirating. I love the feeling (maybe it's just me and how I dance it, which could be very wrong) of the rapid speed up on 1 and 2, and then absorbing that energy and slowing down and changing direction on the & and 3.

Love, love, love hustle.

Er...love hustle with a decent-to-good leader. HATE hustle with a bad lead...OW!!!

Vince A

It used to be discussed all the time, then . . .

. . . those that didn't like it, but tried it, beat it up,

. . . or was it the &1, 2, 3 discussion or the 1, 2, &3 discussion,

. . . or was it the discussion about it being in the swing category or not?

It's a great dance . . . great styling . . . great arm styling esp for the follow.

I wish there were more here that did it, so there WOULD BE an ocassional thread about it . . . I like the dance!

tangotime

Wish I had a $--£, for every Latin Hustle class and student I have taught.

Was, and still is, a great dance.

Without getting into too much detail, think on the lines of w. c. swing , but danced on a horizontal rather than vertical plane.

Starts with double rhythm ( tap step ), triple step ( like coaster and or coming out of fan position, in Rhumba ) , and then single time ( walk , walk ) .

A double hand hold, is used to commence the sequence, with the man being the pivotal point in the action .

Need to explain , that the commencing position for the lady, is to the mans right side, in a position that will resemble the beginning of a modified third position break ( the tap step) she begins a very sharp turn to the left dancing into the triple action and then proceeds to walk forward ( s, s,) and repeats the same sequence

Hope that helps

LOVE the hustle. 3 count... &1 is how we've learned. Had some hustle from Arte Phillips, Raye Avery and Irene Griffin. Competed in it a few times. Awesome dance!

Love dancing Hustle. We joined a hustle class about 6 mos. ago and we are learning some fun moves. We used to dance a little hustle here and there but not much. Now we get to dance each week. We have a blast doing Hustle. It's so much fun. Our count is &1,2,3.

Vince A

I believe that &1 and an &3 dancer could actually dance OK together, though they would be counting it differently . . . as long as thay "can start" . . . but would one or the other, depending &X is leading, be in phrase with the music?
Does that make sense? Does it matter?

I actually do not count Hustle, nor WCS. The music dictates where I am.

Dance Ads