Calling all hustle dancers!

Vince A

. . . I sometimes end up dancing Hustle to slow dance music, the kind of music that might work for Night Club Two Step
Whoa . . . now that could be a very slow NC2S . . . but I certainly will try it at least once that slow - that's the low 60s bpm to the high 80s/low 90s bpm!

Dancin d.j.-- from its beginning ( was at the very first congress for teachers in Miami area ) Latin Hustle was the original, and its tempo was med. to med. fast. probably 36 to 42 bars p.m. --" think ", Donna summer etc.One of the best c.ds , as most would agree, for L. H. was by Voyage .Might give you an idea of tempo if you can locate .

When 3 count appeared ( several yrs later, a bastardised form of triple swing ) the tempos took a marked increase . and of course, slower tempos always require more control, but, they allow for far more expression , musically .
tangotime i pefer latin hustle but as you say it was bastardised too &123, this is the count all the so called big names count too, next year i may teach hustle in milan- italy, and it will not be &123, i will be some form of latin hustle(for those who are curious i have dancer friends in milan and rome/ they do all salsa right now) but hopefully that will change(not because i want them too stop doing salsa, i teach salsa too but variety is in my opinion is better...

tangotime

D.DJ-- I think you misread my post-- My reference of bastardised swing , was to " 3 " count hustle " . The timing for latin is not remotely the same ( see my previous breakdown )

D.DJ-- I think you misread my post-- My reference of bastardised swing , was to " 3 " count hustle " . The timing for latin is not remotely the same ( see my previous breakdown )
ahh i wrote my sentence wrong,your right the latin hustle count is different, which i pefer, i dont like &123 or 3 count...although &123 works fine for slow hustle..

From a technical standpoint-- no dance should commence on a " pickup " note ( and )-- .
I know of at least one prominent teacher who would likely disagree with that claim, given that I learned to start two dances (Hustle and Cha cha) while attending her class.

But that only gets us as far as a "he says/she says", unless you've got something concrete to offer? (I got nothin, me).

tangotime

Yes , I have something to offer. Being a former Examiner and trainer for Prof. exams, I can tell you right now, that would never be acceptable.

If the person you quote, chooses to do that ,I cannot argue with their choice. That-- however-- would not stand up in the examination room .

More to the point-- why would anyone want to " chase " ,a syncop. ?

Its my impression that issue of count in hustle has been discussed quite a bit before in the hustle world. I did find some refs on the web discussing it. I found a detailed discussion here (remove spaces in www):

w w w.eijkhout.net/lead_follow/hustle_count.html

Also found an article by past hustle champ Barry Douglas talking about his views on count.

w w w.eijkhout.net/rad/dance_specific/hustle.html

There's even a Wikipedia article (remove spaces in en):

e n .wikipedia.org/wiki/Hustle_(dance)

I remember when I first learned hustle count around 1980 it was &123. It was alway somewhat difficult for me to lead the woman to start this count, but after doing it a number of times I was able to learn. It was later that I tried 12&3 count where for basic man rocks forward on left then back on right to start (woman opposite). This seemed easier and perhaps more natural to do. From a technical view, this count may be more appropriate.

But it seems that historically, the 3 count hustle may be based on the &123 count. The hustle syllabus book and video that I recently purchased is based on the &123 count. There is a segment in the book and video that discusses history of hustle and how it evolved. Some of the forms discussed include American Hustle, Latin Hustle slotted basic, Latin Hustle Fallaway Basic, and Rope Hustle. Examples of each are given in the video.

Its my feeling that either count can be used when dancing the 3 count hustle. You just have to try and decide which you like better. I think that a figure learned in one could be done in the other. Main thing is to just get going and have some fun.

Yes , I have something to offer. Being a former Examiner and trainer for Prof. exams, I can tell you right now, that would never be acceptable.
And if you were challenged to produce evidence that could be verified independently? How would someone learn this Truth if you weren't around?

Long-time Hustle fan here! I love how this dance can glide in bird-like fashion, in addition to being sensual and even sexy with the right partner.

Here, a perfect example of Hustle done right:

http://www.youtube.com/v/Vu0aV2FueRw

Favorite tunes found here: http://www.dance-forums.com/music/user/Phil+Owl/
phil owl who"s dancing in the you tube? nice job, you can see similar stuff at micheals every tue outside of philly from the better hustle dancers, the clips look older and if they are it makes my point, there still doing the same moves.i mean its good the dont miss a beat, but trust me its nothing new and higher level dancers do those moves and have been since i"ve been in hustle for 9 years(the so called crowd, ny, philly, miami etc.....

GJB

phil owl who"s dancing in the you tube? nice job, you can see similar stuff at micheals every tue outside of philly from the better hustle dancers, the clips look older and if they are it makes my point, there still doing the same moves.i mean its good the dont miss a beat, but trust me its nothing new and higher level dancers do those moves and have been since i"ve been in hustle for 9 years(the so called crowd, ny, philly, miami etc.....
That's Diane Nardone and Nick Lotiere dancing in the youtube video. If you like that, you may also like the videos in this thread: http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=16031

That's Diane Nardone and Nick Lotiere dancing in the youtube video. If you like that, you may also like the videos in this thread: http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=16031
Diane and Nick's dancing is some of the best hustle I've ever seen. I keep going back to look at it. Phil - thanks for music list.

p.s. Drawing a virtual line and hopefully thread will only have positive thoughts from this point on.

tangotime

I am not by any means, the only one still teaching, who from that period,was not seriously involved in developing the dance. In fact, Larry dean was the organiser of the congress, and is still actively engaged in my profession . After all ,the original hustle congress in Fla. was only 1976/77 ( about 100 teachers attended ) . And also , my,( among others,) evidence, is empirical .

The "3" count , after all is said and done, is a " bastardised " E. Coast swing . The Latin was based on W. Coast . And both of those were around at least 25 to 30 yrs before hustle was dreamed of .

Do you believe this dance just sprung out of no where ? . There is not a dance( in the social world ) that has not been developed beyond a basic concept , by Prof . teachers of dance .

thanks for the you tube"s gjb, there nice,but again there doing the same moves at all the dances and shows for i guess 25 years now, the teachers are teaching the same moves to ther new students today, now to each his own, one could argue ballroom does the same etc.., i not taking away from what some peope did back in the day etc.. but what do they look like now? i know because i know a lot of them, (im sorry this is a open forum) where we can express ideas. there was a couple from philly who for about 4 years did some really cool show hustle they have a big name, they changed some of the look and they were champs in hustle for about 5 years, thats over now. my only point is its not growing and moving with new moves(or really old moves but with a new flair) like say salsa or west coast.

I think Hustle is in demand regionally. I know there are a number of hustle comps in the NY/NJ area. I registered to attend one next month in NJ. I think there are hustle comps in other areas of US. I know there are usually hustle dance heats in most major US ballroom comps. So the dance is still alive. Its just that in other regions of US, hustle is not so visible anymore. It used to be popular 20 some years ago in my city (Columbus, Ohio). But now its not being taught so much anymore. Probably because new generation of teachers don't know about it.

I just talked to one of owners of our studio today about it. He danced hustle back in 70s/80s. He agrees we need to get a syllabus for hustle created and make students aware it exists. So I'm going to meet with him soon and show him some of the resources I've found.

As I said in an earlier post, hustle seems to have a visibility problem. Kind of like ballroom (in US) which was sort of in doldrums until Dancing with the Stars came along. In order for hustle to survive as a dance, the people who know about it need to let others know about it.

tangotime

There is a syllabus in place already. Both the chains , and the old ndca had one. They shouldnt be too difficult to locate . I could probably come up with one ( latin ) if I have time to get my brain in gear !

There is a syllabus in place already. Both the chains , and the old ndca had one. They shouldnt be too difficult to locate . I could probably come up with one ( latin ) if I have time to get my brain in gear !
TT

Thanks for offer for additional info. I didn't know NDCA had syllabus at one time. I'd be interested in that if you could find it. I do have a number of resources, both in text and video. Its just a problem of selecting what to use and organizing it in a way (ie. bronze, silver, gold) that it could be taught to others. I'm going to show studio owner what I have today. Hopefully we can get something going soon at our studio.

pruthe

Dance Ads