Calling all hustle dancers!

tangotime

Sam Sodano is still ( local I believe ) he probably could assist with past step list-- think it only went as far as silver .

I remember-- Basic-- whip - Cuddle ( sweetheart )-- reverse whip --skating position-- wrap around -- right turn combo( lady ).-- thats it for now .

To repeat info in recent DF SYTYCD column, there's supposed be a hustle dance routine performed by Lacey and Kameron on tonight's show @ 8 pm (7/11/07). Got my computer set up to record. Hope it's good.

sorry i'm late but wanted to ask - what is this &123 hustle everyone is talking about?
I learned a kind of hustle many years ago but it was 6 counts - 1,2,3&,4,5&6

walk, walk, coaster step, back rockstep (reminds me of the sugar push in west coast swing)

is that what people are calling "latin" hustle? Just curious because the only other way I know how to hustle is just 4-count walking steps....

Another proud hustler here!

I find it interesting that here in Chicago, the majority of west coast swing dancers also dance at least some hustle and are happy to dance it when a suitable song comes on, but when I head out of town and go out west coast swingin' (in Southern California, mostly), I usually have to ask at least 4 or 5 ladies before I find one who knows even the basics of hustle.

Maybe it's a midwest/Chicago thing to have so much overlap between the hustle & wcs communities, because Sylvana Gallagher kept harping on how hustle dancers in Chicago had all these nuances that she pegged as coming from swing.

Anyone else made observations about the overlap of swing & hustle regionally?

Another proud hustler here!

I find it interesting that here in Chicago, the majority of west coast swing dancers also dance at least some hustle and are happy to dance it when a suitable song comes on, but when I head out of town and go out west coast swingin' (in Southern California, mostly), I usually have to ask at least 4 or 5 ladies before I find one who knows even the basics of hustle.

Maybe it's a midwest/Chicago thing to have so much overlap between the hustle & wcs communities, because Sylvana Gallagher kept harping on how hustle dancers in Chicago had all these nuances that she pegged as coming from swing.

Anyone else made observations about the overlap of swing & hustle regionally?
Interesting. I'm in the Philly area and there's not too much overlap here either. Our West Coast event are usually "California mix" so they throw in a few hustle tunes, along with a few nightclub two-steps and a couple cha-chas. But many people don't dance hustle - or they still dance WCS to a song even if it's obviously hustle, i.e. a Donna Summer disco or something like that. I know both dances myself, but when a hustle song comes on, I also have to ask several people before I can find someone who hustles.

Hustle is relatively popular in the Philly area, with some excellent teachers like Sylvana and also Donna Boyle, but I guess many of the hustle dancers don't know WCS and vice versa.

Pardon the thread bump, but I have to toss in my 2 cents.

My DP/GF and I both love hustle. It's become our "blowing off steam" dance when we're working and practicing on our other dances. The variety we learned first was Latin hustle, and ours goes 1 2 3&4 5 6 (point, replace, coaster, walk, walk) We've since taken what we've learned and incorporated our own steps into it. That's actually the best part - making up new steps! Sometimes we'll be in the studio fooling around with working out a step, or taking something from another dance and "working it in" to our hustle, and one of our coaches will be standing over to the side with a smile on his face, then after watching us tie ourselves in knots will walk over and say "here, try this, then this" and will help us work it out. He enjoys creativity, LOL.

Later we learned the 3-count variety, but we usually stick to the Latin one.

When we travel to other studios, we get strange looks when we do Latin while they do 3-count. Around here the Latin version just isn't taught, and I think our studio is the only one around who has even had a Latin hustle group class.

We entered the actual disco scene a little bit late... we're both in our late 20's.

The reason you probably haven't seen much about Hustle is because there is no Hustle forum. It isn't really Ballroom, nor is the "Latin Hustle" latin anymore thna the "Swing Hustle" is Swing. It got lumped here, God only knows why and as an end result it gets a short straw constantly getting pushed down by the Swing Threads.

*shrug*

I see the fun of it... but the "regular hustle" timing just annoys me to no end. I can't do a dance that pays no attention to the upbeat/downbeat of the music. Oh, and the music I hear for it at studio dances makes my ears bleed... more than what I hear for everything else. I guess there is some rule around this town that all ballroom dances must play the most souless music possible for any given dance.

I see the fun of it... but the "regular hustle" timing just annoys me to no end. I can't do a dance that pays no attention to the upbeat/downbeat of the music.
Are you referring to the music being counted in 3? or that those who count it in 2 don't distinguish between the downbeat and the upbeat?

redHOT

I think I was just looking under new posts and this. Since I started dancing (latin) I want to do Hustle as an althernative. Had privates in Hustle years ago. Been to a few Hustle dance parties that I really enjoyed. Was going to post about this cruise I saw advertised **http://www.hustle-salsacruise.com/page1.html** to see if anyone had/heard of anyone's experiences...good/bad or whatever.

Now I will take a peek at the new threads.

Well the hustle I am most familiar with has four steps with three steps on the whole beat and one on the half. Because of this timing you alternately start on a down and an upbeat... Considering if you listen to the actual rhythm of popular music from the 70's the amount which has NO distinction between those two beats is extremely limited, even those who have a bass hit on both beats generally have a ride or high-hat, or even hand clap punctuating the 2 and 4.

It drives me crazy, but then again I'm a little OCD and recognize my issues are not at all representative.

Well the hustle I am most familiar with has four steps with three steps on the whole beat and one on the half. Because of this timing you alternately start on a down and an upbeat...
It's seems clear to me that we are talking about the same dance, so I conclude that you are refering to those who count the dance in three, and lack a representative sampling to judge those who count in 2...

& 1 2 3 & 1 2 3 ...
& 1 2 1 & 2 1 2 ...

Tzah

West Coast just feels so awkward and clonky (to me) compared to Latin Hustle. In fact, half the time, I'm "pointing" in West Coast when I should be walking, or somesuch. Very frustrating.

So who "out there' DOES teach the Latin "point, replace, coaster step, anchor step"? I'm serially getting a complex over this lately.

It's seems clear to me that we are talking about the same dance, so I conclude that you are refering to those who count the dance in three, and lack a representative sampling to judge those who count in 2...

& 1 2 3 & 1 2 3 ...
& 1 2 1 & 2 1 2 ...
Wow... that makes even less sense. While the first ignores the up/down beat of the majority of popular US music it does fit the most stereotypical disco pop songs of the 70's... but the second has a floating step cycling through the counts. So while it acknowledges the up and down beats by count you are still not starting on the same foot at the beginning of the musical phrases.

Dance Ads