Can a Dress Help You Dance Better?

...Neither of them had ever twirled a full skirt before. Neither had done a tango link and felt what happens around your legs when the dress brushes against it. Neither had waltzed or foxtrotted with that "wind in your hair" feeling, with a skirt moving around them...
I like this. And I agree. I always practice in yoga pants and will continue to do so. They are practical, comfortable, easy to move in, don't wrinkle when thrown in my gym bag before work, and they wash up nicely after I sweat. I would actually feel more hindered in lessons by a $200 Chrisanne practice skirt because I would be worried about stepping on and ripping it, etc. So, yoga pants for me.

However, I do make a point of dancing in my smooth or rhythm dresses prior to any major showcase or comp, even though I've danced in my dresses before. Especially for smooth showcase routines that I haven't danced in costume yet. I notice much more when my skirt spins away from my body, and comes wrapping around my legs, flys up to where I notice it in my peripheral vision, etc. All things to get used to BEFORE the big day. And I do feel differently when I'm in costume. The dress, the hair, the makeup, the "game day" shoes vs my practice pair...they all lend toward me wanting to dance better to match my look.

<bump>Holy cow, did they change. I have a new motto: The Dress Changes Everything.
It SO does!

A while back, I posted a few concerns and questions about a dress I had tried on...didn't end up with the dress, it wasn't meant to be. But then I found the dress that WAS meant to be, and swapped it out with the dress I was wearing in competition...

...I had been telling my pro for the last several comps that my dress didn't "fit" anymore - both physically, and emotionally. My last few comps in that dress he kept asking me what was wrong with my dancing, why I wasn't dancing like I did in practice (where, mind you, I danced in yoga pants.) I told him it was the dress. He didn't entirely believe me.

Until I got my new dress. And now, suddenly, I'm getting comments from my coaches like "you've danced better than I've ever seen you dancing before." I walk out onto the floor feeling confident and sexy and like I belong. All it took was the right dress.

As for yoga, the getting caught in the heel thing is an issue there, too. I think it's just a special gift. For example, the day I caught my heel high on the inside seam in the thigh (don't ask me how, it happened.) And ripped a four inch gash through the pants and along my inner tight. Ouch! Not to mention just a TAD embarassing! :oops:
Agreed! I always practiced in yoga pants and a flimsy camisole until a friend lent me her ballroom dress for a collegiate competition. I felt so different - I think dressing for the part really helps you to exude more confidence and the "feel" of the dance better. And the article was super informative about the types of dresses one can buy to cover one's flaws for now :)
My first formal dance is approaching at skillkindle and I am totally clueless as to how to pick a dress. I have no idea what colors, lengths, and styles are in fashion, because I haven't had experience with formal dresses before.

So, if someone could give me:

1. Tips to locate and choose the right dress.
2. Good stores to find fashionable dresses.

I would really appreciate any help you can offer me.

Thank you in advance for your answers =)
I think the right dress gives me more confidence and I feel more ready to attack the performance/competition! When you feel good you dance good!
Being a guy, I only wear a dress for Halloween or some other goofy reason. But whether you are a guy or a gal, I think putting some thoughts into how you dress for the event (Not just dancing events either). Whether it is formal, informal, or whatever. Builds confidence, and I think the confidence makes a huge difference.

Absolutely. In fact our mission statement on our website says pretty much that plus more. I will post one sentence from it. You are invited to our profile page to read the rest. This has been on my website since May 1, 2006 when we launched our business and I consider it timeless:
"Having the confidence that you look good and feel comfortable lets you focus on what you do best, dance".
This is also why I always try to wear dance pants when I do lessons. :)

Dance Ads