Champagne Peach Marabo Dress

Merrylegs

Kat,

It might be that Christmas is coming and people aren't so free with spending money as they begin to figure out their budget's for the rest of the calendar year.

Good luck. BTW, I'm still hanging on to my LeNique dress. Can't sell it either but I'm not really trying as I have hopes of returning to the dance floor in the next few months. Of course, if the right (or any) offer comes along...

Katarzyna

Kat,

It might be that Christmas is coming and people aren't so free with spending money as they begin to figure out their budget's for the rest of the calendar year.

Good luck. BTW, I'm still hanging on to my LeNique dress. Can't sell it either but I'm not really trying as I have hopes of returning to the dance floor in the next few months. Of course, if the right (or any) offer comes along...
Maybe..

I will let you know about your dress. I hope you will be back on the floor soon though!!!

ebay is where people go to get amazing deals (or to find things they can't find anywhere else). So, while things will sell fast, you won't necessarily get a good price. Also, I think ebay customers for dance dresses are looking for larger sizes. You can find a boatload of pretty dresses under size 6 on ballroomdancers.com and other places. It's no accident that the Chinese sellers focus on dresses size 8-16.
I think it's more about the price. E-bay is really perceived as a place where a buyer can get a good deal. Also, buying any clothes on e-bay is sometimes like placing a bet that it will fit you. And while I can place a $100 bet that a dress will fit me and will look good on me, I don't want to bet more than that, if there is a big risk that it won't.

Joe

If a reserve is too "expensive," just start the bidding at what your reserve would be, or perhaps slightly less.

I agree, it does seem to be a different market... It seems quite slow these days re: dress sales, at least the online ones. If I sell anything, I sell through friends and not really the internet...

How can a buyer back out of a winning bid???? I thought one's bid is a binding contract, and 'changing my mind' is not a valid cause for breaching it...

Katarzyna

It's been so different.. I have quite a few dresses now, not sure what to do, expecially since I have 1 unworn yet and one on the way.. grrrr.

well, it's up to the seller to agree to cancel the sale.. if the buyer says they didn't expect to win and didn't really need the dress and they will buy if they have to, but say that they know you can sell for more, you can just agree with them and allow them to back out of the auction...

reb

Kat - I like your avatar. Sorry to hear about sales at this time.

This situation made me reflect on the thread by DancerForLife about how much is too much for a dress. I wonder what is happening with those at the higher end of the spectrum $2k - $5k? If there is a general slowdown, then they may also be experiencing a problem of throttling back on their whole supply chain, purchasing, production, maybe even having to lay off workers.

Business is often 'lumpy'. To take it one step further, this phenomena drives public companies batty because they are expected to increase revenue/profit every quarter, but market conditions don't follow the same rules.

I hope the market will turn around for you - soon, without you having to experience too much pain holding inventory and/or having to sell off at too low a price.

This may be little consolation, but if it were easy, everyone would be doing it!

Katarzyna

Kat - I like your avatar. Sorry to hear about sales at this time.

This situation made me reflect on the thread by DancerForLife about how much is too much for a dress. I wonder what is happening with those at the higher end of the spectrum $2k - $5k? If there is a general slowdown, then they may also be experiencing a problem of throttling back on their whole supply chain, purchasing, production, maybe even having to lay off workers.

Business is often 'lumpy'. To take it one step further, this phenomena drives public companies batty because they are expected to increase revenue/profit every quarter, but market conditions don't follow the same rules.

I hope the market will turn around for you - soon, without you having to experience too much pain holding inventory and/or having to sell off at too low a price.

This may be little consolation, but if it were easy, everyone would be doing it!
Thank you about the avatar.

I am actully really curious about what's happening at the higher end of the spectrum as well. Does anyone know if any of the companies publish shales or profits annually?

Because middle seems to be really slow lately. It seems like to bottom of the market is booming.

reb

Thank you about the avatar.

I am actully really curious about what's happening at the higher end of the spectrum as well. Does anyone know if any of the companies publish shales or profits annually?

Because middle seems to be really slow lately. It seems like to bottom of the market is booming.
Someone posted some websites in the last month or so - I think they had dresses made for stars (DWTS?). If anyone remembers that site, maybe another look at it would reveal how well those dresses are moving.

Also, the top end could be creating a glut for itself by making many dresses every week worldwide for an unsustaining market segment (DTWS). And maybe just enough that the fragile remainder of the ballroom dress market hasn't been able to absorb them all. DTWS is pumping out new dresses every week (less-than-perfect quality due to the rush, but flashy and with marquee made-by and worn-by names nonetheless). If this is true, it could produce downward pressure on the middle market.

Katarzyna

the last seasons DWTD mostly aren't sold it seems. I am curious how sapiel, chrisanne and taka are moving from the highest price point...
design to shine always seems to be doing well

um, DWTS is renting used dresses from Rhythmic Rentals this year, in addition to having a top-drawer ballroom costumer. even if that weren't true, i seriously doubt the show has squat to do with the dress market, which is driven by much more worldwide economic issues than a leetle american tv show.

reb

um, DWTS is renting used dresses from Rhythmic Rentals this year, in addition to having a top-drawer ballroom costumer. even if that weren't true, i seriously doubt the show has squat to do with the dress market, which is driven by much more worldwide economic issues than a leetle american tv show.
it's a big world out there. We have seen dresses bought from non-US DWTS coming into the US amateur and pro/am market

Dancebug

Wouldn’t the other way around be true: because the bottom market is booming, the middle market slows down? There are more low-cost dress makers coming into the market, and they get competitive with each other. As a result, the quality of their dresses gets better. In its turn, it attracts buyers who used to shop in the middle market.

I don’t know. I am just speculating. I notice that there are more low-priced dance costumes on ballroomdancers.com than before.

Dance Ads