Clothing Dramas

pygmalion

Took a page out of your book and got myself a couple skirts and some tops yesterday, P. Two long-sleeve tees, one button down blouse and a scoop-neck sweater. I thought of you, while I was breaking every one of your fashion rules. lol.

Going on record to say that I did not spend anything near the neighborhood of $1800. The only person around here who gets $1800 worth of clothes is DS, and that's because he keeps growing like crazy.

pygmalion

Yep. We're all different. I like the fact that P was able to list her fashion preferences so clearly and succinctly above. Neat that she didn't mention liking black. Anyway, she got me thinking.

My rules, subject to change.

Color: earth tones, jewel tones, or neutral. White,black, emerald, certain browns (with red undertones, mostly) fuchsia, royal, emerald. Absolutely NOTHING yellow or orange.(Yellows make me look like a big fat banana.) Usually not prints but, when I do prints, they're wild and often animal-based. Prairie girl prints make me want to puke. If I do prints, btw, that's my splash. Everything I wear with a print is as plain as possible.

Fabric: Preferably knits or, if woven, something with a little bit of stretch to accommodate sometimes-unruly girls

Cut: Prefer basic. classic lines, but with a little accent of something -- a ruffle, a jewel, a cutout, an applique, some sort of accent (my GF calls this splash.) Nothing over the top, though. And not big on peplums, poofs or anything balloon-ish. I definitely like fitted waists, with the exception of an occasional peasant top. But only occasional.

Peaches

Heh. When I was wedding dress shopping I had a very definite list of things I liked, things that were OK, and things that were definitely out. In one shop a woman asked me what sort of style I was looking for, and I went through my list. I thought my mom was going to die a thousand deaths. (Which never made sense to me. The woman asked my preferences, so I told her!) Well, lo and behold, the very first dress the woman pulled off the rack was the one and only one I'd cut out of a magazine and the one I'd fallen in love with. My dress shopping ended right then and there.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I will not wear much in the way of orange, though coral is fine...if I have a tan everything else is fine though I tend to move away from light colors because I prefer to look smaller...and I also tend not to wear voluminous stuff because I have enough volume on my own...dark and fitted, and simple, tends to be my thing...

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
My wedding dress was also the one I had saved an Internet pic of. I went to my appointment.... and that same dress was the first one the sales lady brought me. I tried it on. I bought it right then and there.

pygmalion

This conversation reminds me of that reality show Say Yes to the Dress. It's fascinating to see what different brides consider essential in a wedding gown. There was one episode where the bride-to-be absolutely refused to buy quite a few stunning gowns well within her budget, just because, to her, the most important thing was being convinced that she was getting a bargain. She did end up getting a bargain, btw. IIRC it was something like a $9000 designer sample gown for $1500 or something equally astounding. Just blew my mind that she'd rather hold out for a bargain than anything else. But I suppose at least she picked a gown based on what was important to her. There have been episodes where young ladies have been driven to tears, trying to live up to what a fiance or mother or (in one extreme case) sister who was speaking about what she thought the deceased Mom would have wanted.

Nothing like wedding prep to make you stone crazy, if you let it.

If I were to do it again, I'd do what I was tempted to do the first time around -- sneak off to the Justice of the Peace and sometime later, have a party like it's 1999. lol.

Purr

Took a page out of your book and got myself a couple skirts and some tops yesterday, P. Two long-sleeve tees, one button down blouse and a scoop-neck sweater. I thought of you, while I was breaking every one of your fashion rules. lol.

Going on record to say that I did not spend anything near the neighborhood of $1800. The only person around here who gets $1800 worth of clothes is DS, and that's because he keeps growing like crazy.
I also went shopping over the weekend. I bought a 3/4 sleeve printed silk blouse from Banana Republic. The colors are gorgeous - a mix of red, plum, grey and black. I also bought a 3/4 sleeve amethyst cardigan from White House Black Market, which matches up pretty well with scarves I already own. I also bought two wide lace cami's, one red and one leopard print. The leopard print cami is for a leopard print blouse I bought a few weeks ago from the same store. I also bought a few jewelry items and Forever 21, including a long dual strand faux pearl knotted necklace, which is perfect for my Halloween 1920's flapper costume. I really like the selection and prices of jewelry at Forever 21, so I'll be going back there.

The end damage wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Purr

Yep. We're all different. I like the fact that P was able to list her fashion preferences so clearly and succinctly above. Neat that she didn't mention liking black. Anyway, she got me thinking.

My rules, subject to change.

Color: earth tones, jewel tones, or neutral. White,black, emerald, certain browns (with red undertones, mostly) fuchsia, royal, emerald. Absolutely NOTHING yellow or orange.(Yellows make me look like a big fat banana.) Usually not prints but, when I do prints, they're wild and often animal-based. Prairie girl prints make me want to puke. If I do prints, btw, that's my splash. Everything I wear with a print is as plain as possible.

Fabric: Preferably knits or, if woven, something with a little bit of stretch to accommodate sometimes-unruly girls

Cut: Prefer basic. classic lines, but with a little accent of something -- a ruffle, a jewel, a cutout, an applique, some sort of accent (my GF calls this splash.) Nothing over the top, though. And not big on peplums, poofs or anything balloon-ish. I definitely like fitted waists, with the exception of an occasional peasant top. But only occasional.

Colors I like include aquamarine, turqoise, fuchsia, amethyst, red, as well as white and black. Colors I look terrible in include most yellows, oranges, browns and greys.

I'm flexible as far as fabric, although I like fabric that has a little stretch. I also like fabric to be machine or hand washable.

I like layering different pieces and accessoriesand I like looking reasonbly stylish. I'm flexible as far as cut, as long as the item fits. For pants, the cut absolutely must be curvy fit.

Purr

This conversation reminds me of that reality show Say Yes to the Dress. It's fascinating to see what different brides consider essential in a wedding gown. There was one episode where the bride-to-be absolutely refused to buy quite a few stunning gowns well within her budget, just because, to her, the most important thing was being convinced that she was getting a bargain. She did end up getting a bargain, btw. IIRC it was something like a $9000 designer sample gown for $1500 or something equally astounding. Just blew my mind that she'd rather hold out for a bargain than anything else. But I suppose at least she picked a gown based on what was important to her. There have been episodes where young ladies have been driven to tears, trying to live up to what a fiance or mother or (in one extreme case) sister who was speaking about what she thought the deceased Mom would have wanted.

Nothing like wedding prep to make you stone crazy, if you let it.

If I were to do it again, I'd do what I was tempted to do the first time around -- sneak off to the Justice of the Peace and sometime later, have a party like it's 1999. lol.
I saw that show, or something like it.

If I ever get married - not likely, but still - I'm not spending a lot of money on a wedding dress. I'd rather take the money and put it towards something else - new kitchen appliances, a new washer and dryer, or something similar. :D

pygmalion

There is a saying, "when in doubt, wear black." Black colored dresses always fascinates and adds glow to the person wearing them. If the combination is great then it would be like icing on the cake. I believe that one should wear, what one feels like but giving a little thought to the trend and the occasion would add up to the confidence of the wearer and remove any kind of awkwardness.

Hi Rose! Welcome. :)

I think there might be a discussion about little black dresses in this thread ( a bunch of pages back.) Maybe not. Hmm. I know we've had the LBD discussion around here somewhere before.

I think you have a point. I am also a big fan of LBDs.

Peaches

Everything that I ordered has arrived. I tried everything on, and out of $1800 worth of purchases, about 6 shirts are "maybe" shirts. Of those, I'd say one or two are definite keepers. Good thing I can return to the store!

Standarddancer

I like shopping on line and return the unfit ones to store, so convenient. Just bought a few sweater dresses from Ann Taylor Loft, the most annoying part is I'm always between their size S and XS, so when shop online always need to get both sizes and return the one doesn't fit to store. It seems this season their sweater dresses running bigger than usual, I had luck with 2 dresses, both worked out with size xs. One is a gorgeous light grey colored cable sweater dress, fits just perfect, skirt slightly above knee, 2nd one a Chevron striped dolman sleeved top with black skirt, also sweater dress, very elegant, also great bargain - they marked down from $90 to $30:) I'm very happy with that!

Lioness

Need some graduation advice...graduating on Monday so online purchases are out. Want to put some colour in my outfit.

These shoes with a little black dress and a cute belt?

image.jpg

Or this dress with either black or nude heels?

image.jpg

Graduation sash colour is lavender, I think.

Dance Ads