Comp Results of DFers

So I had a great week too. Cantski got second in the Open A Smooth. He also got second in the Mens Gold & Open A Standard, he won the Mens Silver A standard, and Dexter won the Mens Bronze C standard. .
I was lucky enough to see you and Cantski dance standard on Friday. Cantski looked really good. Both of you really stood out. Congrats to both of you!

danceronice

By the way, in case you haven't figured this out the pro/am standard is way way high. There are couples in pre-bronze that could easily be in silver or even gold (technically) at a medium sized comp.
And at a small or medium size comp, that's exactly where they'd be....(I know there's no point in getting annoyed with sandbaggers, but it's still annoying.)

Three seconds in Smooth, and I didn't do too badly in Rhythm (where Chris bumped me up to Intermediate and full Bronze from last year)--last year I didn't make any Intermediate finals and this year I made the cha cha final in both levels. Latin was a very pleasant surprise as I was just doing Cha Cha and Jive for fun, and made finals in pre-bronze Jive. That would be the Jive where I spiked myself with my own heel at one point. I'm still waiting to see the results for Standard, but it probably would have helped had I not had a mental lapse into Smooth Tango. Also, I'm still working on why I could do a running finish in quickstep just fine at the far end of the floor and couldn't do it without tangling my feet at the middle (by the judges.)

It's always funny how watching the videos, it seems much better than it felt. Especially Bronze Latin cha cha, where I basically did a dead stop when I forgot my routine. It didn't look nearly as bad as it felt.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
And at a small or medium size comp, that's exactly where they'd be
I don't know of anyone that actually drops down in level just for Ohio. I know I don't do that with my students. I have been seeing these same students all year long, exactly where they are. But only 2 or 3 at a time, instead of 30. It just is that all the best come out for Ohio. Instead of going to a comp where the seems to be only one really great pro-ammer and a bunch of average dancers... it really ends up being the other way around.

And it is the end of the year and people tend to wait until after things like USDC, Hotlanta, and Ohio to start new routines and move up levels. No sense moving up and going in to Ohio unprepared. Instead it is like graduation day.

And it is the end of the year and people tend to wait until after things like USDC, Hotlanta, and Ohio to start new routines and move up levels. No sense moving up and going in to Ohio unprepared. Instead it is like graduation day.
Good advice for anyone interested Larinda. We just did it because the opportunity arose - and even though we did not score well I am yet SOOO glad that we did.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I don't know of anyone that actually drops down in level just for Ohio. I know I don't do that with my students. I have been seeing these same students all year long, exactly where they are. But only 2 or 3 at a time, instead of 30. It just is that all the best come out for Ohio. Instead of going to a comp where the seems to be only one really great pro-ammer and a bunch of average dancers... it really ends up being the other way around.

agree...and that is what makes winning at ohio and/or placing as top student (since the number of heats danced is limited) so meaningful...you know you have actually competed against pretty much anyone who is working hard

samina

By the way, in case you haven't figured this out the pro/am standard is way way high. .
i agree...and the quality of dancing in open standard was just excellent.

pro while appreciatively watching the ladies B final: "aaaahhh...if you make it to this final, then you know you can really dance!!!!" :)

avdeev's lady (the winner) looked like a pro...

you *definitely* did not look it, ED! was very happy to see you dance, although i did not see all your gold star dances...wish that i had!
thanks Sam :kissme: but I hope the dance you missed was the QS o: Wish it wasn't on my tape - hmmm... maybe time for some discrete editing....

OSB results are posted up to sunday evening. However, at least in my heats there are no score sheets.

Question: if they list 8 couples in a heat (say quarter finals) are they listed in order of performance (checks) or just randomly?? Anyone with insight??

Standarddancer

Special congrats to Larinda and your guys!!! wow huge success - top teacher awards without too many entries, such classy winning, winning on quality rather than quantity!!!

mostly likely they list couples in numerical order, not by marks.
Nope, they are definitely not in numerical or alphabetical order. If anyone has a copy of their check sheet they could see if the order corresponds.

It would certainly make sense to list by number of checks since that is technically the performance ranking.

Dance Ads