Competition eligibility

If this was your friend's first competition, unfortunately, I would advise them to let it go. These things happen. Sometimes intentional by the people entering, sometimes not. Sometimes the people running the comps let them get away with it intentionally, sometimes not.

It isn't fair if the rules are broken. If they are looking for truly fair competition, depending on the dance event, they may be in the wrong place unfortunately. So, many times it isn't worth worrying about it, either. If they are new dancers they are better off spending their energy on the things they can control - lessons, practice, comp prep, how they dance, whether they enjoy themselves while on the competition floor, what they learned, what they are working on learning next. If they spend their time worrying about who shouldn't have been in their category, they'll be upset and not working on the other things.

I was beaten in newcomer by seasoned dancers years ago, and I've seen it happen to other dancers since then. Not fun at the time, but I got over it, moved out of newcomer, and kept at it.
Have had this happen to me, too. I was in my first year competing and second in every dance to someone who was also competing full Bronze. I looked at the entry rules and they did allow entries in four consecutive categories, so she was technically within the rules. Fortunately, it was not my first comp so it was easy to shrug off. That and the fact that my pro was more upset than I was! I agree that letting it go is the best approach. From what I've seen, good sportsmanship has been the norm and these situations the exception.

As far.as I know it was brought to the attention of the organisers a couple of days after the event, a number of people who attended the event were aware of the possible eligability probem.
As for this thread it shows some people find it unacceptable and rightly so and others who accept these things happen and you need to live with it, that has to be wrong for a number of reasons, first its cheating and that's
wrong, second by not having a zero tollerance you are telling dancers as long as they don't get cought its acceptable, third its not good for a good atmosphere in the dance community , no one should accept cheating as acceptable in any walk of life

raindance

As one of the people posting that it might be best to accept this, let me clarify a few things.

1) I am from the USA, I dance ballroom, and so I am most familiar with ballroom competitions here in the US. I believe this is also true of a number of other posters who have commented. Our experiences here may not be relevant to how competitions are run where you are located. It sounds like you are in the UK or Europe, and I'm not sure if you are talking about ballroom or another dance style, so things may be very different there. If that's the case, my comments may be irrelevant. Regardless, you are free to ignore my comments if you like. :)

2) I am not suggesting that breaking rules is OK. The rules should be followed. However, as a dancer I personally prefer to focus on what I can realistically do. So, I do my best to follow the rules. I don't want to be the dancer doing the wrong thing, breaking rules and discouraging people. But it is not my place to enforce the rules. And I do my best to work on my own dancing, and to encourage others.

3) I am not sure what the organizers can do about this sort of thing if they are informed of it after the event is over. Perhaps that may depend on the type of event - the answer may be different for a national championship vs. a local fun event.

To varying degrees at varying times and places, there can be some bad sides to dancing, and particularly competitions. It is a sport that can be political, can be affected in various ways by money, can be ego and image driven, and other things that aren't really nice or attractive when you get below the surface of some of it. As an individual dancer, my ability to change that is rather limited. So for my personal peace of mind, in areas when I can't change things for the better, I make the choice between accepting things as they are and enjoying dancing anyway, or walking away. This is what I am suggesting that new dancers consider doing. They'll enjoy dancing and the dance community more, warts and all. Or they will walk away purposely, if they find it unacceptable.

So I agree with you that sandbagging and otherwise breaking rules is bad. It's particularly bad in the lowest levels (newcomer or whatever it might be called for those who are competing for the first time, or competing in their first year, or whatever the category is) because it discourages newer dancers.

One the other hand, I know it happens, at least here. I've had it happen to me and seen it happen to others. If those newer dancers can get past their frustration and keep dancing, they will be better prepared to face other frustrations and discouragements in the future. (Things like being beaten by someone you think is much worse than you, but their coach is on the judging panel, or they paid a big sponsorship to the competition owner, or they have much much expensive costumes ... or whatever else may come up. Note that it is very easy to think someone beat you for some unfair reason, but it is very hard to prove, and you may be completely mistaken about the real reasons for the final placements!!!)

Generally it's more helpful for dance progress to look forward to your next competition rather than spend too much time looking back at the last one.

So - sandbaggers and rulebreakers - please cut it out! And for the rest of us, let that garbage go and enjoy your dancing.

snapdancer

Does NDCA have a formal tracking system for competitor eligibility, to make sure they are not violating the rules whether intentionally or unintentionally? If the answer is "no", then why bother having rules if the enforcement is uneven and haphazard at best?

\A couple of friends of mine entered one of the big dance events competitions and came second, now they have been made aware the couple that came first were inelegable,they can't decide weather to put in a complaint or not, they are disapointed that fellow dancers would want to cheat against fellow dancers but are also aware that fellow dancers would be aware they complained,which could make them look like sore loosers .
My advice was they were the rightful winners !!
I personally think the integitty of the organisers are called in to question and the integrity, character and honesty of the competitor if very questionable, there's no defending him !
I totally agree with the initial comment ..... his friends were the rightful winners .... and I wouldn't think they were sore loosers if they were to make a complaint, I hope it doesn't put them off entering more competitions, its so wrong that people feel that they have the right to cheat, especially when they know they shouldn't have entered, unfortunately it happens all the time in all competitions whatever the event. I just hope they can live with themselves.......
OK, this is kind of weird, but does anyone get the sense that all of these posts were written by the same person? They all have the same run-on sentence structure, similar vocabulary, and similar typos. Both of the latter two accounts were created on Tuesday, as if OP was not satisfied with the amount of agreement he got, and wanted to create some more. The first two have similar fake-looking birthdays (Jan 1, 1965 and May 1, 1965). None of the accounts have any activity outside of this thread, as of this post.

OK, this is kind of weird, but does anyone get the sense that all of these posts were written by the same person? They all have the same run-on sentence structure, similar vocabulary, and similar typos. Both of the latter two accounts were created on Tuesday, as if OP was not satisfied with the amount of agreement he got, and wanted to create some more. The first two have similar fake-looking birthdays (Jan 1, 1965 and May 1, 1965). None of the accounts have any activity outside of this thread, as of this post.
Been a member since Feb 2013, added a new account because I wanted to remain anonymous on this thread as two crew members at Jive Addiction knew my user name on here,no sinister motive or dark dealings unfortunately,just a little self preservation

Been a member since Feb 2013, added a new account because I wanted to remain anonymous on this thread as two crew members at Jive Addiction knew my user name on here,no sinister motive or dark dealings unfortunately,just a little self preservation
The shady part isn't the creation of a new account. It's the use of multiple accounts to agree with yourself, and then proclaiming "Look at these people who agree with me! Those who do not are obviously wrong!"

The funny thing is that no one is disagreeing with you. At least in the sense that no one is saying that what that couple did was acceptable. They are just giving the good (imo) personal advice to move on. Sure, the organizers should be notified, and no one would think less of you for doing so. If that has already been done, and they are not willing to do anything about it, then there's nothing more you can do. There's nothing to be gained from dwelling on it.

Dance Ads