Continuing your education

I know many people finish school, start their job, start their family, and their own education is secondary to other priorities. What have you done to make sure you have time to continue improving your own education?

cornutt

For the last several years, I haven't. Our company has a bunch of classes and training that they present during lunch, via Webex. However, I work at a customer site where they block Webex. :rolleyes:

FancyFeet

Professionally, I tend to have one book per year on my approved learning plan. I set aside time at office to do it. I've also been known to arrange seminars for my team.

In my personal life, I'm taking an online college course in anatomy. I can work toward a certificate if I choose (but need to complete 12 specific courses in 5 years to do so).

IndyLady

My profession has continuing education requirements - min # hours/year, we have to certify that we are compliant and track the activities that make up the hours as the organization conducts random audits. I would say at least 90% of CE requirements are met by attending industry conferences (most people attend one per year) and listening in on educational webcasts sponsored.

Personally, I don't have anything formal in place outside of dance. I spent almost a decade taking professional exams and pursued a masters degree by taking evening classes shortly after I started working, so I've had an above average share of structured education. I just read (books, articles, etc) now as time permits.

NURDRMS

I finished two Master's degrees while in the Air Force but am now working on a third (paid for by the GI Bill) in fashion design. After 36 years of working in the space field (missiles, satellites, etc) this other-side-of-my-brain stuff is really interesting. And so are the 'kids' in my classes, who are all at least half my age.

I know many people finish school, start their job, start their family, and their own education is secondary to other priorities. What have you done to make sure you have time to continue improving your own education?
I get to have trainings in
edx.org - Free
udacity.com - Free
udemy.com - A lot of free and paid training
lynda.com - with local library card

in addition to classic academic learning.

youtube is the main hub if you want to get things deeper.
Good luck,

I get to have trainings in
edx.org - Free
udacity.com - Free
udemy.com - A lot of free and paid training
lynda.com - with local library card

in addition to classic academic learning.

youtube is the main hub if you want to get things deeper.
Good luck,
Yes, those all sound pretty good. Outside dancing, most of my training is focused on language learning. Every day I speak to people and Chinese and increasingly also a Vietnamese. I can read and write in both languages but especially Chinese.

Yes, those all sound pretty good. Outside dancing, most of my training is focused on language learning. Every day I speak to people and Chinese and increasingly also a Vietnamese. I can read and write in both languages but especially Chinese.
It is good to see another person learning other's language. That is a great skill to communicate in another language. I see a lot of parallel with dancing- type of communication at the end of the day- and languages.
Being able to write in those, that must be something hard.

It is good to see another person learning other's language. That is a great skill to communicate in another language. I see a lot of parallel with dancing- type of communication at the end of the day- and languages.
Being able to write in those, that must be something hard.
Yes, thank you. It definitely has opened a whole new world to me, and expanded my thinking in many ways. Of course, Chinese is very artistic. I enjoy writing characters. And with so many characters, it also helps me improve my memory. The list goes on, but I love it! Thank you. :)

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I look forward to the day when I can once again pursue more training and education...since earning my bachelor's in sociology in my young adulthood, I have gone on to receive numerous other certifications and my masters degree in pastoral studies... those certifications include: food service sanitation certification, several fitness certifications, and several grief and hospice certifications...moving forward I would like to continue to improve my spanish as I use it regularly in hospice (and it needs more help)...I would also like to improve my artistic skills and my gardening skills...every once in a while I also toy with the idea of another masters (but it usually passes :))

MaggieMoves

I've reached the top education of the field I'm in, and there really isn't much further for me to go in it. What I do to maintain that is to dedicate at least a handful of hours to keep up on scientific & business journals to ensure I can provide my clients with the highest level of service - and maintain my billable rates.

On a given year I only bill my clients a total of 900-1100 hours. That gives me plenty of time for self-improvement professionally. I just set time aside in the workday for growth. Many of it involves pursuing my own projects as well as the research stated above.

Dance Ads