Cooking from Scratch

stash

Homemade pizza's with fake cheese, pepperoni, peppers, onions, and tomato sauce (which I was too lazy/didn't have time to make from scratch). I love my bread machine :)

Lioness

DIY yiros...picked up a kilo of pre-marinated meat from a butcher near uni...lettuce, cheese, and garlic sauce on a plate. Would usually have it with a tortilla but low carb and it's just as tasty without!

3wishes

Way yummy MP!!!!
DH complains about all the dishes and dishwashing loads we experience since we are both retired, but not complaining about all the home from scratch meals and the $$$$ saved from not buying out. Hahahaha.
made home made ice cream in my new ice cream machine yesterday, oh the creative juices are flowing,,,,cookie dough ice cream is next!

FancyFeet

Mmm... happened upon a delicious concoction this week: Brown rice (cooked), black beans, ground chicken (cooked), corn, mushroom, onion, celery, salsa and a little shredded cheese, all mixed and baked in a caserole dish for about 40 mins at 350F. Because it was a "I need to make something but don't want to go to the store" creation, I used canned mushroom, beans and corn... hooray for emergency pantry supplies! Served with greek yougurt the first time, but just had leftovers without, and it was equally good. Will definitely make again.

dancelvr

I love my rice cooker. Lately my go-to make-for-work meal has been brown rice with some curry and garlic, an entire bunch of chopped green onions, and lots of fresh sautéed mushrooms all together. I top it off with as much fresh spinach as I can fit under the lid, and let the rice cooker do its magic. Delish!

Cal

Buttermilk Cornbread Drop Biscuits - my first time making them, and they are disappearing fast.
Also, roasted beets with a balsamic glaze that is equally good as that pickled beets that my great aunt used to make.

SwingingAlong

Omelet concoction using onions, garlic, celery, chili, a heap of grated (and squeezed) zucchini, new potatoes and beans. Is it a healthier option than home made pizza:confused:?

dancelvr

Cauliflower "Buffalo Wings".....delish! So spicy (but not too much) and flavorful. This will be a go-to dish for me when I need a nosh. I don't think there is any such thing as too many veggies.......

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
recipes friends, recipes....share

anyhow, over here, I did one of the things that I love to do...instead of working from a recipe, I look around the house, see what we have to work with, and decide what, if combined, would make a delicious meal...last night, and it was to die for, I made this:

I took a deli made pineapple salsa that dh didn't like with tortilla chips and combined it with, minced fresh garlic and ginger, plus some soy sauce and cayenne....I pulled out some thick sliced pork chops, as well as some fresh bean sprouts and some sliced brussel sprouts...I put the pork chops in a glass baking dish rubbed with a healthy amount of sesame oil to prevent sticking and add to the yum factor, piled both kinds of sprouts on top of the chops, piled the converted salsa sauce on top of that and baked it covered with foil for about an hour and a half at 350...was to die for...served over rice

although we didn't have wine...I would serve it with a sauvignon blanc, a dry pinot grigio, or a dry rose'

3wishes

Made retirement 12x12x3 French vanilla cake, = 44 ounces of white chocolate ganache, 2 pounds of buttercream, simple decor, piped on more ganache, delivered.
cake fed many as they came to say goodbye - other business owner called me,,,"wow" many thanks from her, crew and customers, WHEW, I was nervous, she use to decorate cakes for a living years ago, YEP.... No pressure.
Now to practice making modeling chocolate for pro's request for son's special day. Love the taste test.

dancelvr

Okey Dokey......Cauliflower "Buffalo Wings"

This is a two part recipe....

Coating
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt and pepper
1 cup water

1 head of cauliflower

Sauce
3 tsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup of your favorite hot sauce
the juice of 1/2 a lime
the juice of one lemon
3 tsp honey
1 tsp orange juice

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare baking tray (I use a cookie sheet) with parchment paper, or it WILL stick....even on a non-stick pan. Mix all dry ingredients, then add water. Mix until smooth. Cut up cauliflower. (leave the pieces good sized, or they will over cook) Place cauliflower in a large bowl, pour in the coating mix, and toss until completely covered. Place on baking pan in a single layer. Bake for 20 mins. It should be lightly browned.

While this is in the oven, in a small pot on med heat, place butter and let it start melting a little, then add the rest of the sauce ingredients. Heat thoroughly while stirring until butter is completely melted. Take the baked and coated cauliflower, place in large bowl, and pour in the sauce. Coat thoroughly. Place cauliflower back on baking pan and into the oven for 20 mins.

Now.....I've tweeked this toward my own taste. The coating is very thick once baked, so I doubled the amount of cauliflower, and reduced the flour in the coating mix by 1/4 cup. I was much happier with the result.

This is best served hot out of the oven. It is a spicy and delicious treat!

Paleo apple pie - actually a pretty simple recipe, and the crust turned out almost the same as 'real' apple pie! Bonus - no added sugar. It was so good.

Dance Ads