Cooking from Scratch

stash

Soy Sauce Ramen. Though my pork took like double the time to cook, and I would just sub out the extra salt with more Soy Sauce. So yummy. Also used asian noodles, though even they weren't that great for this either. Need to go stalk the asian mart near me again for actual ramen noodles. Def a keeper.

Prep Time: 15 hours

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Yield: 3-4 servings

Ingredients

• Salted pork
  • 1 lb pork
  • 1 tsp salt
    Soup
  • 6 cups water (1.5L)
  • 50g ginger root, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, skinned
  • 1 bunch green onions
  • 4 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 Tbsp sake
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
    Noodles
  • 9 oz fresh angel hair pasta (225g)
  • 8 cups water (2L)
  • 2 Tbsp baking soda
    Topping
  • boiled egg halves
  • bean sprouts, blanched briefly
  • green onions, cut finely
Instructions

1. Rub salt on pork and let it sit overnight in the fridge.
  2. In a pot, put water, ginger root, garlic, green onions and salted pork, and boil at high heat. Skim fat and other floating scums. Then cover, reduce to low heat, and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Let the broth and pork cool completely in pot. Strain and save pork. Slice pork and set aside for a topping.
  3. Prepare the rest of the toppings now as well (boiled eggs, blanched bean sprouts, cut green onions), before making the soup and noodles. Once the noodles are cooked, you will need to add the soup and toppings right away or the noodles will get soft, so you won't have time to prepare the toppings at the end.
  4. Boil the broth and add soy sauce, sake, salt and sesame oil. Let it simmer at very low heat until noodles are ready.
  5. In boiling water in a pot, add baking soda (be careful, it may boil over), then add the fresh angel hair pasta. Cook the pasta for 30 seconds, and strain. Immediately divide noodles into bowls and add soup onto noodles. Top with boiled eggs, bean sprouts, green onions and sliced pork.

mindputtee

We lucked into a really good deal on a whole lot of lamb ($55 at a silent auction for something like 30 lbs of lamb including ~10lb of ground lamb) and tried our hand at making lamb sausage! We used this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/08/homemade-merguez-sausage-recipe.html and it came out phenomenally. We used beef fat because it's what we could get (and quite cheap) from the butcher counter at Safeway. I've eaten about 8 of these sausages in the last 3 days and they're delicious. Not too fatty, wonderfully flavorful. They don't need any toppings at all, just a nicely toasted bun!

3wishes

2- 10 inch rounds / 3inch high each layer of French vanilla cake - with really great Mexican vanilla in it.
2 - 8 inch rounds / 3 inch high of strawberry cake (brides request), ok so experimenting happened before I hit a nice balance.
1 - 6 inch cake - strawberry as top tier.
Numerous pounds of pure buttercream and fillings later, DH was quite happy to be the taste tester.
One enormously tall vegan chocolate cake for the people with serious food allergies.
They were a hit! And nothing to take home, whew!!!! Although DH did ask if he could eat the left overs only to be disappointed. Hahaha loved the French vanilla.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
haluski and paczki day here....bought the latter (raspberry filled) but made the haluski...cabbage, onion, ham, mushrooms, vinegar and olive oil (fearless Poles would use butter) over no yolk noodles (again, most poles would go with kluski noodles)...excellent snow day food...color me Polish

Dance Ads