Country and Western Dancing

Spitfire

How many of you are actively into Country and Western dancing?

This was where I got my start, but do little of it anymore.

I love Country & Western dance. So much so that I am there 5 or 6 nights a week. Okay, so I am embarking on a competitive dance track which would account for a lot of time.

Aside from that, it's just fun and generally a really nice group of people.

I'm hoping I can write more later. I didn't get home from dance practice till 1:00 in the morning...so my brain hasn't totally kicked in for the day yet.

Vince A

I do too!!! And often! There is something to doing the 2 Step, and I challenge any of you really good dancers in the DF to try to learn how to do it at an intermediate competition level . . . you won't make fun of C&W dancing anymore. It is as hard to get right as any of the other dances that are discussed on the DFs.

Competitive C&W dancing is not all about line-dancing. There are at least 8 dances that are done in competition besides the line dancing part. Although the music is different, some of the dancing, like the Waltz and Cha Cha, are very, very close to ballroom rules. The look is the same. The dresses are the same. The head, the frame, the hand, and working the skirt is exactly the same. The moves are called the exact same thing.

Attend a UCWDC event sometime - just for kicks - you might learn something!

I do it about 2 weekends out the month. Being in Texas its kinda of a requirement. :D Also it keeps me from being burned out on latin which I love. Add to that the fact that the only clubs you will hear wc swing and hustle are also the country clubs. I'm pretty good friends with some pro's from outside my studio so I always have someone to dance one. I do make one concession, none the CW waltz stuff. If we waltz we are doing a regular waltz baby. :D
There is a lot to 2 step no arguement there.

i used to do country western dancing but the place i went changed the age limit so now i don't so i just stick with cloggin and hip-hop.........but am currently looking for a new place for the country western

Sagitta

I haven't heard much about it where I am, so haven't done any, except perhaps at a contra dance when they play a waltz and the folks know country style? Perhaps that's because of the people I hang out with. I've heard the older folk talk about it and going outside Ithaca to do it, though.

I finally caught up with myself.

I did start out as a line dancer, and I enjoyed it. Competitive line dancing is not easy either. After five years of line dancing, I decided I wanted to learn the rest of it. The two-step, WCS, Cha Cha, Waltz...and here I am.

I really enjoy it. I enjoy the atmosphere and the people. I have not been to a ballroom dance or taken lesssons, that's not saying I won't at some point. I know there are merits to learning all types of dance.

The two-step is definitely a challenge. For something I thought wouldn't be that difficult...ha. At least I finally managed to keep my turns going down the line of dance. I say to the ladies, if you want to become good at spins and turns, do some country dancing :)

I hope that we can all appreciate the type of dancing that we do. Each of us loves the style of dance that we do for a reason. And many of us like to do many different types.

Spitfire

The reason I haven't done a lot of C&W dancing is that the studio and USABDA dances don't play much C&W music here though they teach 2 step as well as other dances and I don't care for the club scene personally.

There was a Wednesday night dance until it was discontinued by the management of the facility. The lady who held it is trying to look for another location; when and if this happens I'll attend as I'm getting that "itch" for doing 2 steps and C&W waltzes again.

Vince A

AnnieMarie said:
The two-step is definitely a challenge. For something I thought wouldn't be that difficult...ha. At least I finally managed to keep my turns going down the line of dance. I say to the ladies, if you want to become good at spins and turns, do some country dancing :)

I hope that we can all appreciate the type of dancing that we do. Each of us loves the style of dance that we do for a reason. And many of us like to do many different types.
Good for you AnnieMarie . . . any time that we can learn different dances and different styles . . . we usually improve our other dances.

If I may add, besides spins and turns . . . the 2 Step is one of the best dances that I know of that will teach a follower and leader on how to "spot" downline. You have to do it on turns and spins, or the dance isn't being "done all the way" . . . it's the look, ya know!

Sagitta

AnnieMarie said:
Yes, definitely!!! FYI: And just because we have strong opinions about a certain style or type of dance that does not mean we are putting down others appreciation for these dances/styles. :)

On this forum, I have yet to see anyone putting down the type of dancing that anyone else does. That's awesome :)

I appreciate anyone who is really good at the type of dancing that I do. I am a "weeper" when it's really good.

Vince A

AnnieMarie said:
On this forum, I have yet to see anyone putting down the type of dancing that anyone else does. That's awesome :)

I appreciate anyone who is really good at the type of dancing that I do. I am a "weeper" when it's really good.
And if the administrators and moderators have anything to do or say about it . . . that will never happen on the DF.

Really good to outstanding dancing "gets" to me too!

pygmalion

I was talking to my coach about this at my lesson today. Interesting. He's an international standard guy by training, a top level American standard competitor, and he was impressed by the video he watched of C&W waltz. A little taken aback by the boots with the ballgown, though. *shrug*

I think the point, to me, is that C&W is a beautiful dance discipline all its own, with a level of sophistication and complexity that some outsiders don't appreciate. But then, many of them have never tried it. :?

Vince A

pygmalion said:
. . . A little taken aback by the boots with the ballgown, though. *shrug*
Jenn . . . those are not "just" boots . . . they are glove soft, flexible-soled, suede-bottomed dance boots. They are probably better to dance in than MANY dance shoes . . . they are called Evening Star boots . . . check 'em out online. Oh, and you can get them w/o that really pointed-toe look that most people associate with C&W boots.

pygmalion

Yeah. I knew about Evenin Star. But he didn't. A really conservative guy, with twenty-five or six years of ballroom dance experience. Don't worry. As I get to know him better, I'll clue him in. :wink: :lol:

I love my Evenin Star Boots...love them. I have tried dance sneakers, but I went back to my boots. So comfortable. I would like to get some "regular" ballroom type lace up shoes too though.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one affected by great dancing.

My friend and I are doing our very first competition in 2 weeks. It's just a fun event but our coach wants us to put our brand new two step on the floor. I'm excited, I know we will do a great job...but I'm also nervous.

Vince A

AnnieMarie said:
I love my Evenin Star Boots...love them. I have tried dance sneakers, but I went back to my boots. So comfortable. I would like to get some "regular" ballroom type lace up shoes too though.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one affected by great dancing.

My friend and I are doing our very first competition in 2 weeks. It's just a fun event but our coach wants us to put our brand new two step on the floor. I'm excited, I know we will do a great job...but I'm also nervous.
AnnieMarie,
I love my ES's too! And they do have ES lace-up dance shoes, and I keep looking at them.

I will always like C&W dancing . . . the dances are fun and forgiving!

What dances are you competiting in? Is it a Local event or something like a UCWDC event? Let me know. And let us all know how you do.

Dance Ads