Cowboy Chacha dance sequence info required

I have been asked to play (live) music for a Cowboy Chacha. I need to know how many bars of music is required to dance one sequence of the Cowboy Chacha. I have watched quite a few Youtube videos but they dont give an accurate count especially when they dont finish properly. Thanks Neil.

Steve Pastor

Staff member
The short answer to your question is that it takes 80 "counts" of music to complete the 5 different patterns that make up the dance.

Each pattern has these counts
1 2 3&4
5 6 7&8
1 2 3&4
5 6 7&8 = 16 "counts."

You should have a clear introduction to the song, because people don't always know when to start dancing.
For me it's always best if the lyrics start at the same time that you are supposed to start dancing.
In some clubs the DJ will cue people on when to start the dance.
Sometimes, they will anounce the dance that's coming up to give people a chance to find a partner and get out on the floor.

Here's a step sheet that lists the 80 count.
https://www.sctxca.org/export/sites...tes/ctryline/downloads/ppd_Cowboy_Cha_Cha.pdf

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Alan Jackson's "Third Rate Romance" is still popular around here.

Might not want to use that one if it's a church function or a grade school dance, although there's lots worse around now a days.

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Note, too, that when dancing to Third Rate Romance, and possibly other songs, dancers will end in the middle of one of the patterns, not at the end of the "80 counts." Funny how every time they play that song it works out the same way - which is what I like to say when everyone keeps dancing when the song ends as if they'd never heard it before.

I have noticed that quite often. Not only to this dance but a lot of other partnered dances as well. I am used to playing for strict tempo sequenced ballroom dances and this is what has thrown me in trying to work out bar / count numbers. If I finished anywhere but at the end of a pattern, you would not be very popular at all. :oops:

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Well, big difference finishing on an odd count, for instance, and at the end of, say, a 16 count "pattern," and at the end of the entire 80 count sequence.

One of my favorites are the phrased line dances. They'll have a "tag" (or two!) in the dance that corresponds to a bridge in the music.

My current fave is Fake ID by Big & Rich. There is a line dance for it, but, if you don't leave out parts of the entire sequence, your phrasing gets off. They sart this in the video you can see from the movie. There are several versions of the "entire dance" and I like the one that gets all the phrasing, although the kids where I dance don't seem to noitce that they get off.

Hey, how about being like a Flamingo musiciain and follow the dancers?

Dance Ads