Crush on Instructor...

RiseNFall

I cannot imagine asking my teacher if he missed me
I probably HAVE asked that, and got a nice "yes" or a tongue-in-cheek scathing insult in reply (depending on the particular teacher, the teacher's mood, the circumstances.) However, I don't mean anything by it. Typically, my relationships with my teachers are focussed on work, but have somewhat silly over-tones. (This is partially because I make too many truly stupid/funny mistakes for us to not laugh about it.)

This thread makes me think I'm the only one that has NOT had a crush on one of their instructors.
Before deciding to learn to dance, I read through a bunch of threads on here, partly to figure out what style to learn, and partly to get an idea of whether I wanted to learn to dance (as opposed to learning martial arts or guitar or whatever).

I saw enough "crush on instructor" threads that I made sure to pick an instructor that is not young and pretty; actually, my first instructor was (and still is) a man. Eventually a partner was found for me and I started taking lessons with her female instructor as well. And so far, I've avoided having a crush on anyone dance-related, but maybe that's because I didn't get into dancing to try to have fun.

So maybe all the "crush on instructor" threads actually do help. But when one fails to get crushes on instructors, it's impossible to know if it's because of the DanceForums crush-awareness shield or because, well, the instructors just aren't that appealing anyway. Perhaps a scientific experiment is in order.

sbrnsmith

I cannot imagine asking my teacher if he missed me
It wasn't planned...the words just came out...I was having an out of body experience, standing there, hearing myself say that, and thinking oh no...I didn't just say that. It worked for me, otherwise, I would never know. If you never take the chance, you never know. The downside is, you risk going through pain. But, regardless of however it turns out, I would not change one single thing about that day

Do nothing. You only have to lose, they are a community and you don't even need to get in the next condition, where they will just have fun of you. That's my belief. On the other hand, if you want to get involved, go out with that person, but not on a latin party, nobody has to know...

IndyLady

So maybe all the "crush on instructor" threads actually do help. But when one fails to get crushes on instructors, it's impossible to know if it's because of the DanceForums crush-awareness shield or because, well, the instructors just aren't that appealing anyway. Perhaps a scientific experiment is in order.
My spouse and I started ballroom as a couple, so it never even occurred to me to have a crush on the instructor (who was male. I mean, he still is, he's just not our instructor anymore because he moved out of state). I sort of lumped him in the same category as one's accountant, plumber, tailor, etc., i.e. someone you pay to provide a service that you are not trained and/or skilled at.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
it's rarely deliberate...that is only in the worst cases...and sure, it is easy to keep it appropriate if you are there with your spouse...but if you aren't and are not aware of the intimacy that can ensuue, it can catch a soul off guard.

JudeMorrigan

[obviousJoke]
I once asked my instructor if she missed me. She replied, "so far, but my aim's getting better!"
[/obviousJoke]

Seriously though, instructor's are people, not machines. While this obviously isn't going to be true of all of them, I actually don't think there's anything particularly remarkable about the idea of one of them missing their students. It's just, for the purposes of this thread, it's important to note that that's missing their students, not their One Special Student Who's Secretly Their Twoo, Twoo Wuv. While I would never advocate a student seriously asking an instructor about missing them, I wouldn't read much more into their doing so than I would an elementary school teacher with a class full of genuinely good kids missing them during their winter break.

(Note that I'm speaking in general terms here and understand that sbrnsmith's case is a bit different.)

Dance Ads