Dance Scandal Erupts Over Groping During DWTS Event

Scandal Erupts When Girlfriend of State Senator Loses Temper After DWTS Event

Since this is a dance forum, let's get right to the good stuff:

Bundgaard said he had participated Friday in a National Kidney Foundation of Arizona charity event, Dancing with the Stars Arizona 2011. As he was leaving, he said his girlfriend accused him of inappropriately touching his dance partner.
The story doesn't stop there because Bundgaard is an Arizona State Senator. He and his girlfriend got into a fight in the car after leaving the event and it resulted in both of them being arrested for domestic violence. For more details read this article:
State Sen. Bundgaard involved in domestic violence incident

The result? Girlfriend Aubry Ballard spent the night in jail but Scott Bundgaard was released. As it turns out, the Arizona State Constitution gives Senators immunity from arrest.

Aubry made a public statement that describes her experience after being arrested:

Last night was the absolute worst night of my life. This morning and the hours I spent in jail were equally horrible. To go from putting on a beautiful dress for a great date to a fundraiser to ending up on the side of a freeway? I don’t have another tear left to cry,
I’m still trying to get my mind around a few things: Scott’s actions, the 17 hours I spent in jail awaiting processing, my bruises, scrapes and soreness and his statements to the media.
I’m not a public figure. Nor am I someone who wants to see her private life made public. At the same time, I value my reputation. I’ve always been a strong believer in the truth. I have a lot of thinking and praying to do before I decide what to do next.
This all leads to a much bigger question. Does a man deserve immunity from nagging if his wife or significant other thinks he has touched or groped his dance partner in inappropriate places?

This is Bundgaard's side of the story, which should also be seriously considered:

I am proud to have helped raise thousands of dollars for this charity, so much so that my girlfriend, parents and other family members were in attendance. While I may not have won the competition it was a wonderful tonight for a wonderful cause. Perhaps my fault was failing to ask my girlfriend to meet with Kurt Warner’s wife about how to understand and support a spouse or partner for a ‘Dancing With The Stars’ competition.

Upon leaving the event I was accused of inappropriately touching my dancing partner, in front of my parents and family mind you, and she proceeded to throw my clothes and other things out of my car on a freeway as I took her home. I stopped on the freeway to retrieve these items. As I was doing so my girlfriend yelled that she was going to take my car and moved into the driver’s seat. I immediately returned to the car and asked her to get out. She refused. I had no choice but to pull her from the driver’s seat which resulted in marks on her knees. I had also had no choice but to stop her from punching me and risking highway safety, all of which resulted in a black eye for me and a busted lip (photos available upon request). The authorities arrived as I tried to retrieve my belongings from the highway. I have never inappropriately touched a woman and never would. Period. I was not intoxicated. There was no ‘domestic violence.’ Such conduct is offensive to me as it should be to all people. I waive any and all ‘legislative immunity.’ If I did something wrong, charge me. I did not.
Considering everything I think Aubry completely lost her sanity for a few brief moments. This could be a case example why dance competitors better make sure their spouses or significant others are properly prepared before watching their lovers dance with other partners.

From what is quoted the gf is 100% wrong here. Well, the senator will find another one, the gf will sell her story to tabloïds, dozens of lawyers will offer their services for an amicable separation involving the gf receiving bucks from the senator. And it would become an Ally McBeal episode, if the soap still existed.

DL

We weren't there. We didn't see what happened. We don't know the context in their relationship in which the described events occurred. Probably the most we can say is that it's a pity for all concerned, that the incident occurred at all.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
This would be my assessment. It happens to a lot of people in dealings with love.
Yes, when a loved one is not in on the intricacies of dancing and especially a show number where hands are in more places that just in standard hold or basic latin hold...

My students often say things like "when I pick you up from that spin I am afraid to put my hand on you because your ... um... chest is in the way." I say "Today is your lucky day!" Any non-initiated outsider that sees him question me and then me allow him to slide across my boob is going to be appalled. But... to me... the mechanics of the dancing and the trust I have in my students not to grope my inappropriately is far greater than what I care about what outsiders think.

And actually he must have sold the story of the show pretty well if a non-dancer looked at it and really thought there was more to it than the dancing. So kudos to him.

The unfortunate thing is that she got upset, and it is completely understandable when I look at where my students hands go sometimes... And the far more unfortunate thing is that he did not take the time BEFORE to let her in on his world of dancing and assure her that what she thinks she sees is not what is really going on.

I used to have a non-dancing boyfriend... some 15 years ago... and he was mortified when he saw me in closed dance position. He insisted that my students were getting their jollies from it and he. would. get. MAD. Needless to say that relationship did not last.

I am sorry for the mess it created in their lives, as I am sure the press was happy for it.

DL

And actually he must have sold the story of the show pretty well if a non-dancer looked at it and really thought there was more to it than the dancing. So kudos to him.
Well, too, there are plenty of horror stories among us of actual groping and inappropriate touching. I didn't investigate the story too thoroughly but the accounts I saw didn't actually include a description of exactly what happened at the event (have I missed something?). It seems hard to conclude from the information available that what happened during the dance we didn't witness was or wasn't appropriate.

I wouldn't be so quick to believe every word the politician says!
The routine he did might be on youtube somewhere, quite often those fundraiser performances end up there. So we might be able to see for ourselves what he did.

I don't think we can completely believe what he said about subsequent argument in the car, but it does seem like the gf lost her cool.

wooh

Not being there and not knowing their past, I don't think we can judge any of it.

Although I have to say, Arizona senators being exempt from arrest is an interesting factoid.

Although I have to say, Arizona senators being exempt from arrest is an interesting factoid.
Actually pretty common in representative democracies everywhere, based on the idea of blocking authorities from attempting to prevent a member from showing up or voting. Though it is usually somewhat limited rather than blanket.

And it's two edged - they can also be rounded up and dragged into the statehouse.

Actually pretty common in representative democracies everywhere, based on the idea of blocking authorities from attempting to prevent a member from showing up or voting. Though it is usually somewhat limited rather than blanket.

And it's two edged - they can also be rounded up and dragged into the statehouse.
According to the OP's link, it's not a blanket exemption, but what he did (physical fight with his gf) is not sufficient to have him arrested.

I watched the beginning of the rehearsal, and my guess would be that the gf was unhapy that his hand was in close vicinity of his partner's boobs on some moves (mine usually come in contact on the first wrap move they were doing, but mother nature was rather generous to me, his partner is much smaller in that area). Silly girl. And she's not that young (34), you'd think she'd have acquired some wisdom and wouldn't fly off the handle for something so meaningless.

wooh

We don't know the senator and GF's relationship history. What may be "flying off the handle" to us might be the straw that broke the camel's back from a long history of things. Or she could be certifiable. We don't know.

Just thought of something. I recall we had a thread a long time ago about politicians and dancing (or maybe it was a sub-discussion in random thoughts), that you don't typically see them dance in public. Well, having something like that happen to one of their number over dancing with local stars performance will probably turn most of them off from doing dancing with local stars or anything like it.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
Yes, the incident is quite unfortunate for all politicians who might have even considered and now will not. And for the dance community that looses it ability to be more mainstream.

Dance Ads