Dances we used to do when we were kids

Spitfire

dancersdreamland said:
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the group, but had to jump into this post as I LOVE remembering childhood...I don't think this one has been posted yet, and it's not exactly a "dance-dance," but I had to list it anyway: the hokey pokey! You know, that silly little dance where you stand in a circle and continually stick a miscellaneous part of your body into the center and shake it about.

"You put your right arm in. You put your right arm out. You put your right arm in and you shake it all about. You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around...that's what it's all about."

I think the actual "hokey pokey" part of the dance is kind of like shaking "spirit fingers" close to the sides of your face...if that make sense.

Well...just had to add it.

Ooh...just thought of one more...even more hokey (no pun intended :wink:)...The Macarena!
Welcome dancersdreamland, :D

I did mention the Hokey Pokey earlier; my first grade teacher had us do it.

I feel in regard to hokey pokey, this MUST be noted: hokey pokey is so much more fun on roller skates in a stinky roller rink with lots of people wiggling around and trying to keep balance...it makes it even more of a dance! :p

Oh yea! That's the first place I actually ever saw the hokey pokey. It's pretty challenging to get on one foot in rollerskates and shake it all around lol.

pygmalion

Check this out! Kathy Blake also has instructional videos:

Party Dances 1950: Twist, Stroll, and Rock N Roll
Party Dances 1960: Mashed Potato, Frug, Swim, Monkey, Pony, and go-go Dancing

For all those of us on a nostalgia trip! :D

Dance Ads