Dancesport Series Qualifiers

samina

have googled to no avail... still need list of those comps that participate as "dancesport series qualifiers", such as the northeastern open invitational.

does the MD comp coming up, for example... not sure. their closed championship is marked parenthetically "dancesport", but don't know what that means.

would like to have fun and go for it but... doesn't seem to make sense unless i know which comps i'm gonna be able to enter to really participate in the contest. (as if i have a chance at even making semis... but, y'know... it's just nice to have a goal like that to inspire and motivate).

samina

thanks, laura. in the meantime, have found it on the schedule at MD.

will check out the other comps that participate...

samina

soooo.... i guess this is the best-of-the-best series... all open? so outa my league. but i can't help feeling that it would raise the level of my dancing to even attempt.

what experience do you all have with this in the past? i certainly have a ways to go before i could truly be competitive in the open arena.

reb

I think . . . the dancesport series is basically "Open" category events in three age groups.

On your path to this level, Pro/Ams could/should work through the bronze and silver closed scholarships.

On the Maryland entry form you'll see:

[FONT=Arial,Bold]OPEN CHAMPIONSHIPS
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Bold]- [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold]World Dancesport Series - PRO/AM Team Match Qualifying Event[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial,Bold]A-18-35 B-36-50 C-51+[/FONT]

keep asking . . .

samina

Thanks, reb. Spoke w/ pro and he's game, which I think is daring on his end. I mean, come on, this is my 4th comp & I've never competed above bronze. I so don't want to embarrass him, even though I know he would never say. I guess that will drive me more to do something new... I find that exciting. :D

Laura

Samina, it's not uncommon -- especially in the B age group and especially at smaller competitions -- for Syllabus-level Pro/Am dancers to compete in the DanceSport Series Qualifier. It's a good way to get in another multi-dance event (I personally find multi-dance events to be so much more fun and satisfying than single-dance events), and it's a good way to get on the floor with people who you don't usually dance against.

I say go for it :)

reb

Samina, it's not uncommon -- especially in the B age group and especially at smaller competitions -- for Syllabus-level Pro/Am dancers to compete in the DanceSport Series Qualifier. It's a good way to get in another multi-dance event (I personally find multi-dance events to be so much more fun and satisfying than single-dance events), and it's a good way to get on the floor with people who you don't usually dance against.

I say go for it :)
Go for it!

You'll only regret not doing it . . .

Cal

I'm one of those regular 'ole Standard syllabus dancers who regularly enters dancesport series qualifier events. Surprises can happen . . . .

Enter and see what happens. Good luck!

Sam,

GO for it Girl.

In my first competition due to family events we had to re-arrange of entry schedule so we had to cancel some events so pro and I decided not to loose the money for the canceled entries, so we started looking for event to replace the ones we canceled. The only ones left were Championship and Scholarship events so we enter them and I have never regretted in fact I love it. I guess is that adrenaline rush thing. So it keeps me coming back for more and of course I get to dance with great dancers on the floor and makes me want to be better than them and one day I will be standing next to Ben and Shalene in the podium.

samina

thanks for the encouragement, guys... *hug*

...and of course I get to dance with great dancers on the floor and makes me want to be better
yes, exactly! when i've been on the same floor as high-level ams, pros, giampiero, & baricchi... wow... the energy just crackles and it raises your game. or at the least the spirit behind it... lol

i know it's over my head but... c'est la vie... will dive in nonetheless, already humbled and reaching for the best within me at the moment. can't do more than that...

i know it's over my head but... c'est la vie... will dive in nonetheless, already humbled and reaching for the best within me at the moment. can't do more than that...
Sam, you go girl.

This thing that we love so much called "Dancesport" is nothing but a mental game and if you dance to the best of you ability you never know what will happen. You might even get a re-call and end at the podium.

GO and :bkick:

samina

it appears that participation in this series has actually driven plans to attend a third comp (three weekends in a row)... the MD comp is out of my region for the qualifier, but the following weekend there's a comp in Massachusetts...

lordy, that means more hangin' with DF peeps... yay! MQ, you around? :D

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
Sam,

GO for it Girl.

In my first competition due to family events we had to re-arrange of entry schedule so we had to cancel some events so pro and I decided not to loose the money for the canceled entries, so we started looking for event to replace the ones we canceled. The only ones left were Championship and Scholarship events so we enter them and I have never regretted in fact I love it. I guess is that adrenaline rush thing. So it keeps me coming back for more and of course I get to dance with great dancers on the floor and makes me want to be better than them and one day I will be standing next to Ben and Shalene in the podium.
that is awesome

Dance Ads