Week 5
Finale

Soundtrack
Judges & Contestants
In the News
Music
Sold Out
Free Tickets

I am really, really looking forward to the new ABC show "Dancing with the Stars," but I have to take issue with this description from the ABC homepage:

"Six celebrities and their professional partners embark on an intense competition -- live -- in front of a studio audience and the nation.

In this first round of competition, each couple will demonstrate how well their training and rehearsing has paid off, by performing a choreographed cha cha cha routine or a waltz. This Latin style of dance (cha cha cha) allows the female professional dancers, Edyta, Charlotte and Ashly, to lead their celebrity dance partners, Evander, John and Joey. In the ballroom style (waltz), the male professional dancers, Louis, Jonathan and Alec, lead their partners, Trista, Rachel and Kelly.

Watch their moves and then vote for your favorites!"

Women get to lead in cha-cha? :shock:

I still think the show is going to be LOTS of fun. 12 more days!

:) ChaChaMama

Also, in a way, I think Evander can be counted as a sand-bagger... ;)

I was watching one of my GTV Ballroom tapes from 1998, and I believe it was the Yankee Classic, where one of the hosts points out that the competing couple had just taught Evander to dance on some TV morning show.

But seriously, maybe it's no coincidence that Evander was picked to be on this show, because he was already receptive to ballroom dancing and/or he had made some contacts in the dancesport world :?:

Laura

The funny thing about this whole thread is that I heard through the grapevine that Charlotte's student has figured out that things work a lot better when he actually does lead, and is quite happily intrigued by the whole thing.

ChaChaMama said:
I am really, really looking forward to the new ABC show "Dancing with the Stars," but I have to take issue with this description from the ABC homepage:
In this first round of competition, each couple will demonstrate how well their training and rehearsing has paid off, by performing a choreographed cha cha cha routine or a waltz. This Latin style of dance (cha cha cha) allows the female professional dancers, Edyta, Charlotte and Ashly, to lead their celebrity dance partners, Evander, John and Joey. In the ballroom style (waltz), the male professional dancers, Louis, Jonathan and Alec, lead their partners, Trista, Rachel and Kelly.

:) ChaChaMama
Looks like exactly the arrangement in BBC's version: chacha/waltz first week

Laura

In week 1, the male celebrities are doing cha cha and the female celebrities are doing waltz. In week 2, they swap. Or at least that's what I've read on other boards and have been told via the dance gossip grapevine.

mamboqueen

Well, that gives him a little bit of an unfair advantage, I think. I wonder if they're going to disclose that little factoid ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dance Ads